BaseCamp & Mapsource custom Icons for geocaching

Hi all-

I use Basecamp and Mapsource for windows and I'd like to change the default found icon from the open treasure chest to a smiley face. I know how to do this on my Oregon 450 device, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the icon from the two programs.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks

Nate

Check out the MapSource Help under "Working with Waypoints"

Using Customized Waypoint Symbols

You can add customized symbols for your waypoints. MapSource includes 8 default custom waypoint symbols located on your computer in "My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols." You can open these symbols with a graphic editor and use them as templates for creating your own symbols.

You can add up to 64 custom waypoint symbols. These symbols must be in .bmp format and must be named numerically from "000.bmp" to "063.bmp." Custom waypoint symbols can be 16 x 16 pixels (small) or 24 x 24 pixels (large) and up to 32-bit color.

After you have created customized waypoint symbols, you can add them to a waypoint using the Symbol field in the Waypoint Properties window. See Editing Waypoint Properties for more information.

The custom waypoints I created for MapSource also show in BaseCamp.

...You can add customized symbols for your waypoints. MapSource includes 8 default custom waypoint symbols located on your computer in "My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols." You can open these symbols with a graphic editor and use them as templates for creating your own symbols...

I want to do the same thing. There is not much difference between the closed and open icons. Actually I'd just as soon use a smaller icon for all geocaches.

Creating a custom icon is not the real problem. It appears that Basecamp won't let you assign a custom icon to geocaches because it treats them differently than other waypoints. I think it should be allowed. The other thing I'd like to do is assign a different icon (like the star used on geocaching.com maps) to my caches. Since there is apparently no attribute in the gpx files marking a geocache as "mine" this would have to be done manually.

However if you could just replace the standard open chest icon then all found geocaches would be marked with the icon you want.

I have not found where Basecamp stores the standard icons. I figured they would be files somewhere in the program directory. It appears they may be embedded in basecamp.exe. Anyone else try this?