Reduced number of caches?

einz

Hi all, I recently re-started the geocaching habit after an extended time away due to work. Anyway, this might be a complete idiot question, but I've noticed that the general number of caches have gone down. For example, in Central Park in NYC, I used to remember there were many more caches, but now when I browse by the new map, there might be 1/4 the number of caches. Did I miss something? Was there a recent purge of caches? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi all, I recently re-started the geocaching habit after an extended time away due to work. Anyway, this might be a complete idiot question, but I've noticed that the general number of caches have gone down. For example, in Central Park in NYC, I used to remember there were many more caches, but now when I browse by the new map, there might be 1/4 the number of caches. Did I miss something? Was there a recent purge of caches? Thanks in advance for the help.

Nothing on the national level have you tried asking in the Mid-Atlantic regional forum?

I don't know about New York, but overall the number of geocaches is going up every year, a lot.

Perhaps New York City has made some new restrictions on caches in Central Park? (Maybe you have to get a permit now, etc.) New virtual caches are no longer allowed and maybe Central Park was full of them at one time? (As they get archived, which most do eventually, they can't be replaced with another virtual, and it's probably harder to keep a traditional cache from getting muggled in a high-traffic park like that.)

Hard to say, but it's fun to speculate. :)

As others have said, the number of caches is up steadily, just about everywhere. Central Park NY is pretty much saturated with caches. Perhaps you're only looking at Traditional Caches, and not Mysteries?

Here's link to the Geocaching.com map of Central park.

I see a lot of puzzles, 27 are on one bookmarked list, and I count more then that in the park. As well as a multi and a Wherigo.

Thanks for the help, all. I've definitely noticed some of the old caches I've found were gone, but I suppose it's pretty high turnover for such a busy area. A glance back in the parents neighborhood did yield more than I expected. I think it's psychological at this point, now off to do some caching!

When I started using GSAK about eight years ago, my 'caches within 65 miles' were at 10,000. Now they are at 18,000. Nope. A lot more caches! I've been caching in Central Park for eight years. (Until they banned smoking.) As near as I can see, there are more caches in Central Park than there were eight years ago.