Private cache

xeor_zella

Hi

A feature I have wanted for a while is a cache that wont show up in searches or maps. A cache that you haveto know the GC code on to view..

This easy to add feature will give us several abilities, like:

* Geocaching events where you work in groups to find a list of geocaches. The caches are given out on papers so everyone will get them at the same time.

* Giving presents to friends in a more fun way, just give them the GC code.

* You can try high quality caches out on friends before releasing them to the public.

I also think this is very easy to implement..

Hi

A feature I have wanted for a while is a cache that wont show up in searches or maps. A cache that you haveto know the GC code on to view..

* Geocaching events where you work in groups to find a list of geocaches. The caches are given out on papers so everyone will get them at the same time.

* You can try high quality caches out on friends before releasing them to the public.

'Private' caches are sort of like swearing, ya know.....

Not really, but geocaching.com does not function with 'private' caches.

In order to be listed on geocaching.com, a geocache must be available to all. Otherwise (as far as this website is concerned) it doesn't exist. This includes caches for an Event cache.

Presenting early finds to your friends is one thing (cheesy at best), but it is already done among some geocaching 'cliques'.

Hi

'Private' caches are sort of like swearing, ya know.....

Not really, but geocaching.com does not function with 'private' caches.

In order to be listed on geocaching.com, a geocache must be available to all. Otherwise (as far as this website is concerned) it doesn't exist. This includes caches for an Event cache.

Presenting early finds to your friends is one thing (cheesy at best), but it is already done among some geocaching 'cliques'.

Sorry for swearing :]

What about delayed publishing caches? Caches that are accessible only if you know the GC code, but after a couple of days it is automatically made public..

That is between you and your reviewer. Just note that it can be difficult to have it published on "X" date. They have lots of stuff to do.

No harm in asking/requesting when you submit the cache for review. Just put it into the "Note to Reviewer" box.

Actually I understand that they have a way of scheduling them for release so long as you ask nicely! (was in the company of a reviewer when a cache got published by her and had to ask)

The only issue with timing is if you want it NOW! (yes, they do have a lot to do!!)

That is between you and your reviewer. Just note that it can be difficult to have it published on "X" date. They have lots of stuff to do.

No harm in asking/requesting when you submit the cache for review. Just put it into the "Note to Reviewer" box.

Actually I understand that they have a way of scheduling them for release so long as you ask nicely! (was in the company of a reviewer when a cache got published by her and had to ask)

The only issue with timing is if you want it NOW! (yes, they do have a lot to do!!)

This would work, but I don't think the cache is available for others in the review period, even tough you give out the GC code or the long url..

This would work, but I don't think the cache is available for others in the review period, even tough you give out the GC code or the long url..

Of course a cache submission will not be available during the review period. It's not a cache till the Reviewer determine, based on supplied information, that the submission complies with the guidelines. Anything else would be anarchy.

It isn't available to be viewed online, but there's nothing preventing you from emailing the information to someone, or printing off the page and handing it to someone.

It isn't available to be viewed online, but there's nothing preventing you from emailing the information to someone, or printing off the page and handing it to someone.

Yes, but that defeats what I though was cool about a temporary private cache.. Giving out the GC number to someone, where they could use the nice geocaching app to find it and read about it..

I think this would be the perfect way for giving a birthday present for someone doing geocaching..

And it would be much fun to have a geocache run, where everyone starts with the same list of geocaches that needs to be taken to complete the run.

Permanently private caches was a stupid idea (after thinking about it), but a 10 days period where you can only access it via the GC code isn't that bad..? Is it?

If you want a private cache, just have a private cache. If you want to publish it later on GC, then publish it later on GC. If you want to pick and choose who can go look for a cache published on GC, then I don't think that's reasonable.

Having said that, you could make it an incredibly difficult puzzle cache, then give your friends the answer. Happens all the time, although CO's are not typically upfront about what they're doing.

You could publish a cache and then archive it but leave the box in place.

Archived caches are generally still logable.

2.1. Listing Guidelines that Apply to All Geocaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307

Geocache Permanence: Geocaches are placed for the long term. Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

B.

2.1. Listing Guidelines that Apply to All Geocaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307

I am fully aware of that guideline but it is not enforced.

It is enforced when it is noticed. I just noticed a CO doing that a few days ago. After a short discussion, I archived his newest submission and un-archived the older one.

It's easy to miss a violation of this guideline. If you notice someone doing it a lot, and your reviewer is allowing it, it's probably because your reviewer hasn't noticed. A friendly email pointing it out may (or may not) help.

I think what the OP really wants is a tool to generate cache pages for printing only. Someone hosting an event or party now has to input the details into a non-active cache submission and print the preview, or make their own pages in Word or InDesign. Having a tool to do this would really help a lot of people hosting private parties with temporary caches.

I think what the OP really wants is a tool to generate cache pages for printing only. Someone hosting an event or party now has to input the details into a non-active cache submission and print the preview, or make their own pages in Word or InDesign. Having a tool to do this would really help a lot of people hosting private parties with temporary caches.

That doesn't sound like something that the website should do or would be good at doing. Maybe some programmer could come up with an event cache management program that has those features in it.

GSAK came about because it filled a void that the website couldn't. Now some, but in no way all, features found in GSAK have been added to the website.