Samsung galaxy S2 without 3G + free app. ?

marmi_jean

I have a samsung galaxy S2 and would like to use it as a gps device for geocaching. Does it require to use the 3G all the time you are looking for a location ? Or is it only the gps signal without the 3G signal ?

Also, what free app. do you recommend for a starter ? This is only a test to see if my boyfriend and I are going to like geocaching so we don't want to put a lot of monet in it for startup.

Thank you !

You only need a GPS signal to find the cache. The 3G/wi-fi etc signal is needed to get the cache details, many apps allow you to save this info off-line so you don't have to relay on a data connection out in the field :)

I haven't tried geocaching with a Galaxy S2 (though my wife has one) but I think I can clarify how/when the 3G/wifi is used. The 3G/wifi connection is primarily used to get the data about caches onto your smartphone. That includes the name, description, coordinates, and other information about each cache. To help navigate to the cache most also want to see where the cache appears on a map, and that map data is downloaded to your smartphone as it's needed. However, some apps will also allow you to navigate to the cache using a compass screen (no maps needed). In other words, once you have all the data about the caches, only the GPS is needed to navigate to a cache.

As eusty suggested, one way to do that is to "pre-load" geocache data onto your smartphone before you go out. The easiest way to do that is if you are a premium member and use something called pocket queries, though cache data can be downloaded individually (how that's done depends on the app that you use). I've only tested this on my iPhone with the official geocaching app (9.99 on the app store) but once cache data is on the phone you can turn off data on the device and still use the app to navigate to caches. This is especially useful if you want to use your smart phone to geocache while in another country to avoid astronomical data roaming charges.

The other place where a 3G connection is used is if your smartphone uses aGPS (Assisted GPS). Many modern smart phones do. In this case, when the smartphone is obtaining an initial fix on the satellites it can use cell phone tower triangulation to approximate your location, and use that information to expedite a first time satellite lock. Once the satellite lock has been obtained, the 3G is no longer necessary as the satellites will provide more precise location than cell phone tower triangulation. Contrary to popular belief, it does not improve your accuracy once a lock on the satellites has been obtained.

As for a "free app", there is an ongoing debate as to whether the c:geo app violates Groundspeaks term of service. There is another free app called Geobeagle that works best if you have a premium membership but it can be used without one. Personally, if you're going to fully evaluate whether or not you're going to like geocaching, you can get by using a free app and a basic membership, but you're not going to get the full experience without using some of the tools (which require spending a bit of money) that are available. Yes, the experience of going out to search and hopefully find a geocache will be the same, but getting geocaching information onto your smartphone will be a *lot* less tedious if you spend a little. The easiest way to do that would be to spend the $9.99 for the official geocaching app.