Hide Types

I have a general question for everyone :anitongue:

Do you have a favorite hide type? When you are coming up with your own hides, are you automatically drawn to one type over another?

After finding about fifty caches, I started to know which ones that I liked, not necessarily to find, but the ones that I really appreciated.

I love the puzzle caches that make you think, not the ones that are so hard that you have to find someone with a PhD in the subject to figure it out, but tough enough that you have to do more than just run a pocket query.

I also love the micros and the ones that are in unusual containers or *gasp* the evil ones :anibad:

Of the caches that I have placed or am planning on placing in the near future, 2 of them are traditional, 7 are puzzles, 9 are evil of some kind.

So, my ultimate question is, do you think that people start to associate you with a hide type? Should I stick with what I enjoy or vary the type of caches that I have so that there is "something for everyone" so I don't have my caches automatically ignored? Not that I care what people think, it is more that I do not want my caches to be stereotyped or profiled just by my username...

K

So, my ultimate question is, do you think that people start to associate you with a hide type? Should I stick with what I enjoy or vary the type of caches that I have so that there is "something for everyone" so I don't have my caches automatically ignored? Not that I care what people think, it is more that I do not want my caches to be stereotyped or profiled just by my username...

K

Yeah. Some people think I hide MKHs. Some people think I hide evil mystery caches. Some people think I hide caches that require long hikes.

Yeah. I hide urban caches. Yeah. I hide evil mystery caches. Yeah. I hide caches that require long hikes.

Not a lot of people realize that I hide all sorts of caches all over the place!

The only thing they have in common is that they are in interesting places, have good hints, and have prtty good coords. (My QC department requires this of me.)

It's more places for me I do not mind urban hides but I hate when people hide things where they should know better...you know where they say muggles at all times please be mindful....I did a few of those then swore them off generally not worth it for what in most cases will be a lightpole skirt cache. But I do enjoy the simple puzzle cache too

I love a good multi that takes you places. Some two stages are all right, but give me a long hike around a giant park, or one that has a good story and stages.

I lean more towards something unique for a hide and I tend to keep mine hides close to me, for maintenance reason.

I have a 5 stage Multi in my town, using a spy theme from a few items I found at a dollar store

Mission Cachepossible

Its a quick easy one, but fun for the kids, I also try to make mine geared more towards kids also

S1 of this is a red filter to screen out the coords, then S2 is just some counting and coord math, S3 is a reversed coords (23GD0CEEF) type of deal and S4 is a invisible marker and paper. Then final

All stages are P&Gs and its probably doable in about 15-20min

Racettes

Most of mine are different but some associate me with my flat magnets especially two I had with good responses. This is one of them.

mycache.jpg

I also have some great puzzles, some being original ideas. But then I haven't done much.

Edited by jellis

My personal experience is anytime you volunteer (and cache ownership is included in this), do what you enjoy, don't ever try to 'cater' to what you think people will like, because it will ended up feeling like a chore. I see you you've got a number of puzzle caches, if this is what you enjoy, then go for it. Of course, they will be found less often than traditional caches, this is not necessarily a problem.

When I do my caches, I often use lock n locks with a lot of spray paint on them, and fill them with McToys. :D But I do differeet containers sometimes, basically whatever I fancy doing, I do. I like to try different things out. Some caches have more favorite points than others, some are found more often than others and this is OK. :)

+1.

When we were hidig caches, we hid caches of a type and in the manner that we would like to hunt. Those that enjoyed hunting for them - good. Those that didn't - well, the sun came up the next day anyway. As tastes changed, hides changed to reflect that...and when the day came that hiding was no longer attractive, they were all either farmed out or archived.

You-the-hider are the driver in this entertainment. At least make it entertaining to you.

My favorite finds are medium-large containers off of trails. I don't mind urban caches or even tiny micros but my preference is an ammo can in the forest.

I've adopted one cache but this week I will be preparing my first hide. I was thinking of doing a multi stage but for my first I'll keep it simple. The area has quite a few caches already placed and I'll have more success getting one published instead of a series.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input. I am going to do what I like and people can take it or leave it. I have thought of (placed or in-progres) some puzzle, multi's, micros, evils, tradionals, and some creative hides. Hopefully, since there are not a lot of hides in my area I will be able to keep people getting out there into the woods, which to me, is the whole point of geocaching! I have a box that has the parts of my "in progress" caches that are in varying stages of completeness. I have a notebook and many word docs that have outline for plans for multi's. I am having fun with this and I hope that people will enjoy it also!

K