Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djpjr123

Geocaching Afterschool Clubs

Hi! I'm a student wondering about starting a middle school geocaching club. Can someone let me borrow GPS's? Can you give ideas of lesson plans and where & how to get them.

Edited by markcase

There are a few lesson plans for schools on the K-7 post. More will be coming soon. As far as borrowing GPS units, several suggestions come to mind:

Ask your sponsor teacher to apply for a grant on Donor's Choose.

Contact your local clubs. Many experienced cachers may have a spare unit you can borrow.

If you need one for a short period of time, contact the education department at one of the manufacturers. I know they have a loaner program for short periods of time.

I know most of my students have smart phones. There are geocaching apps for both Iphones and Droids and are fairly accurate. You can download the free version of those or pay the $10 for the full version.

Hope those ideas help.

Mark Case

Education Forum Moderator

Hi! I'm a student wondering about starting a middle school geocaching club. Can someone let me borrow GPS's? Can you give ideas of lesson plans and where & how to get them.

You should contact your local 4-H Office in Warren county at warren@cornell.edu

I run a 4-H group in Putnam county and our office was able to get a grant that allowed us to buy 10 Garmins for our use.

Good luck and let send me a note if you need help getting started.

www.putnam4-Hss.org

Laura