Pocket Queries for Specific Cache Owners

CHRISNSCOTT

B) So, I was sitting around the other day, running different Pocket Queries(PQ's), really wanting to just get a PQ of caches by Cache Owners.

There are many other ways to run PQ's but not by 'Cache Owner'. Just need one simple button added to that to click to do this.

As you can find a cache listing by that Cache Owner, then go to there profile and see there list of hides, and download each page of 20 at a time, but not there whole list in 1 swoop. There isn't even a way, that I have found, to Create a bookmark list for a certain cache owners hides, as then you could just do a PQ of that Bookmark list. And creating your own bookmark list only stays as current as that current time, so keeping it updated is a pain in the rear.

So who's behind me on this, I have contacted Groundspeak about adding this feature, but asked that I post a new topic here on the forums so they can see the response, as they monitor these forums for new ideas that are liked and disliked......Come on people let's make it easy to go find all you Best Cacher Friends hides,

Sincerely,

Scott of 'CHRISNSCOTT'

Scotty,

I'd much rather have a way to Ignore certain cache placers in a PQ. you know who i mean! I could always go through and ignore them all i guess B)

But otherwise your idea would be handy.

Loren

B) So, I was sitting around the other day, running different Pocket Queries(PQ's), really wanting to just get a PQ of caches by Cache Owners.

There are many other ways to run PQ's but not by 'Cache Owner'. Just need one simple button added to that to click to do this.

As you can find a cache listing by that Cache Owner, then go to there profile and see there list of hides, and download each page of 20 at a time, but not there whole list in 1 swoop. There isn't even a way, that I have found, to Create a bookmark list for a certain cache owners hides, as then you could just do a PQ of that Bookmark list. And creating your own bookmark list only stays as current as that current time, so keeping it updated is a pain in the rear.

So who's behind me on this, I have contacted Groundspeak about adding this feature, but asked that I post a new topic here on the forums so they can see the response, as they monitor these forums for new ideas that are liked and disliked......Come on people let's make it easy to go find all you Best Cacher Friends hides,

Sincerely,

Scott of 'CHRISNSCOTT'

I like this idea. I'm personally not interested in power trails but it seems to me that this would be a pretty good way to select all caches in a trail (though you'd have to filter out non-PT caches using a waypoint manager). It might also be implemented as a link off a users profile page.

So for example, let's say I find a cache that is especially creative and want to get a list of their other hides as a PQ. I click on the name of the cache owner to get to their profile page, then on the GeoCaches tab. Under the "Geocaches Owned", in addition to the "All Geocache Hides", there could be a "Save As Pocket Query" link, similar to the link on the maps page. One could then add additional filters to the PQ (for example, you might only want to see their unknown cache hides).

Looking at how this might worked exposed something that might cause confusion. If you click on "All Geocache Hides" or any of the specific hide types for an owner you get a results list which has a "Map this location". In this case, I haven't actually selected a location, though I got to the users profile page by selecting the cache owners name from a specific cache, that does not appear to be the center point sent to the mapping page. Instead, it seems to send the coordinates for the cache that is at the top of the list, which turns out to be the owners most recent hide.

Oh so very true, never thought of it that way. This could be used to either group up a 'chunk' of caches you want to do....or personally not want to do. But at least you could get this quick list generated, then personally sort through them by type, size, etc using other programs. As I'm sure most of us do use other programs for managing all our downloads, or solved puzzles, such as GSAK.

Thanks for replying folks, that's what Groundspeak wants to see and hear, all sides of this topic!

B)

All you cachers rock!

Scotty of CHRISNSCOTT

Spokane, WA

I think it would be a great feature. When we go to certain areas there are some cachers that we know will have unique or good caches, or cachers who we are friends who we would target their caches. There's also a challenge out there in Idaho where if you find x amount of caches by this person, y by this person, and z by this person that you can log the cache. It'd be faster and easier to sort for those caches with your idea.

Right now putting all of their caches into a bookmark list to become a pq can be troublesome because I forget to update them regularly and miss the new caches published and the ones that got archived. To run a PQ based on their name or geocaching id or even as a Friend feature would be awesome.

I too have wanted to create a pocket query by cache owner. This would be really helpful especially when traveling to an area you frequent but do not live in. Since you can already search for all caches by a CO why not be able to turn it into a PQ?

Please Groundspeak this is something we could use!

I like this idea. I'm personally not interested in power trails but it seems to me that this would be a pretty good way to select all caches in a trail
Those who place numbers run trails seem to use a separate account for the caches in the numbers run trail. For example, those who want to do the ET highway trail could include caches owned by Clay4&whtwolfden. And those who want to ignore the ET highway trail could exclude caches owned by Clay4&whtwolfden (rather than playing games with the Scuba attribute). And actual scuba divers could have their Scuba attribute back.

There is one way (I think) that will let you do a PQ by owner but I am still working thru it. By creating a booklist it says you can make a PQ from the booklist.

Of course if you have lots of caches from a series by one CO it gets tedious. I am creating one that is a power trail group with nearly 300 caches on a 32 mile stretch of desert road. So when I add them all to my booklist I wil try the PQ.

If anyone has a shorter list and tries this, let us know how it works out. It can take awhile because you have to go to each individual cache page and add to booklist (on right side of page near log visit).

There is one way (I think) that will let you do a PQ by owner but I am still working thru it. By creating a booklist it says you can make a PQ from the booklist.

Of course if you have lots of caches from a series by one CO it gets tedious. I am creating one that is a power trail group with nearly 300 caches on a 32 mile stretch of desert road. So when I add them all to my booklist I wil try the PQ.

If anyone has a shorter list and tries this, let us know how it works out. It can take awhile because you have to go to each individual cache page and add to booklist (on right side of page near log visit).

:(

Precisely one of my points. If that CO has like 200+ caches you have to go to each individual Cache page now, bookmark it, and if that CO archives or hides more you have to stay current on there publications or archives. Otherwise that bookmark list is never current. I have done this by making a Bookmark list but very difficult to keep it CURRENT. It is nice to run a PQ off the said created bookmark list.

Groundspeak, please create something for us. Traveling this summer and a feature like this would be AWESOME!

:(

Precisely one of my points. If that CO has like 200+ caches you have to go to each individual Cache page now, bookmark it, and if that CO archives or hides more you have to stay current on there publications or archives. Otherwise that bookmark list is never current. I have done this by making a Bookmark list but very difficult to keep it CURRENT. It is nice to run a PQ off the said created bookmark list.

Groundspeak, please create something for us. Traveling this summer and a feature like this would be AWESOME!

Well it is time consuming but so far the PQ I created off the bookmark list seems to keep things current as to last finds, etc. If your list is short this is an option.

It certainly would be nice to do it by CO. Even eliminating a CO from a PQ as well.

Sincerely,

Scott of 'CHRISNSCOTT'

I've wanted this for years.

Is this still on the to do list? Was it ever on the list? Is there a list? We really need this. It would be too cool!

Also might be nice to make the to do list public with voting buttons to assign rank/importance to each item. The items could then be worked on in that order and show dues paying members that they are getting new features here and there.

That would be a great feature to add. In the meantime, I've been just creating a pocket query, then open it in Basecamp, remove the other caches that I don't want to see and then re-save it. A little bit of a chore, but it clears out the clutter of having all the other caches on the query.

On 1.6.2012 at 6:34 PM, CHRISNSCOTT said:

[...] There isn't even a way, that I have found, to Create a bookmark list for a certain cache owners hides, [...]

It seems you didn't searched quite well. ;-)
The New Search will do it for you:
https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?ot=4&owner[0]=italofila

Go to: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search#Content
Hit filters, type the cache owner's name into the appropriate field.
Select all caches. Add to BM list. Create a PQ.

Edited by HHL
  • Upvote 1