Mea Culpa

ToonAl

I want to confess to doing something I am really ashamed of tonight. I walked up to a cache that was obviously on private property, found the cache, and signed the log. The worst part is I knew in my head what I was doing. I knew when I stopped my car and looked where the compass was pointing. I knew when I went to get the cache and my main thought was, I hope security does not see me. Sure it was a big corporation that owned the land, and it look like manufacturing was shut down for the evening but somewhere in my heart I knew that probably the corporation did not want me doing what I was doing. For what? The hope of a cheap smiley (which in the end I did not log anyway). I am sorry.

Now don't go clicking to my profile to see what the cache is because as a wise man once said "He who is sinless can be the cast the first stone". The thing is we have all done it. I am sure I will find myself doing it again.

Thanks for listening.

Kudos for putting your shame out for all of us to poke at. I am sure that most people (you are not allowed to say all in the forums) have broken one of their own rules at one point or another. This kind of open and honest talk is good for geocachers. B)

My only question is why be a practicing ascetic when you could just repent while adding the smiley. No more harm done, why not have a positive result from the negative and log the find. It might even be therapeutic to denounce yourself about this cache in your online log rather than hiding it away like some red-headed stepchild. :o

Show your scars, chick dig scars (mine doesn't, but that's not the point). :D

There is a requirement for the owner of the cache to obtain the permission of the property owner where the cache is placed. How are you to know that this was not done? How do you know that the owner of the property isn't fully aware of what is going on? I think it's a little presumptuous of you to recommend that a cache be archived just because you think it's in an inappropriate place and couldn't be bothered to do a little bit of investigation first.

There is a requirement for the owner of the cache to obtain the permission of the property owner where the cache is placed. How are you to know that this was not done? How do you know that the owner of the property isn't fully aware of what is going on? I think it's a little presumptuous of you to recommend that a cache be archived just because you think it's in an inappropriate place and couldn't be bothered to do a little bit of investigation first.

Those same guidelines also require the following:

If you have permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache listing for the benefit of the reviewer and those seeking the cache.

Those same guidelines also require the following:

If you have permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache listing for the benefit of the reviewer and those seeking the cache.

Since ToonAl didn't provide a link to the cache we are not able to verify if that information is on the listing or not.

Since ToonAl didn't provide a link to the cache we are not able to verify if that information is on the listing or not.

It is not. I'm supposing that ToonAl didn't want to embarrass anyone via the forums, so the cache was not listed in the OP, but we find match containers in forests so finding this listing was easy for a local. I have never visited this cache, but have visited similar - heck, we all have! I am making a judgement based on the past logs that the real dicey thing here is the security cameras all over the place. Kind of makes you feel criminal. If someone on the other end of those cameras is okay with the cache, it should be explicitly stated on the listing.

Having said that, almost ALL of the finders of this cache had no issues, no guilt.

It reminds me of a cache that we found in Mississauga, we had no issues and no guilt, it was in the parking lot of Walmart's offices ... not long after we found it, public money blew it up.