How to get your kids into Geocaching

JMMR
Followers 0

We are new to geocaching, but I took advantage of my excitement about the whole thing to get my kids more involved. So, I've done two things, one is to hide their Christmas presents in a location that they had to find using the GPS, and I've also invited their friends along to help us find caches. Everyone gets to help and in this way, they all learn. My kids are 9 and 11 years old, and they already have a good sense of direction and are learning to use the compass and GPS really well. Birthday parties have lots of potential!!! cheers JMMR

quote:
My kids are 9 and 11 years old

More than half our finds have been when I had one or both of the boys along. I have found that if I don't push them too hard and they are given time to throw rocks, watch the birds, etc. they look forward to our next hunt.

We started our slow and worked our way into more difficult caches. We also started out by doing just one cache per outing. Our general rule is that if either of the boys starts getting to the point where they are not enjoying themself, we all call it a day.

Geocaching has turned out to be way more of a family hobby than I expected. To me, there are few activities as enjoyable as spending a morning or afternoon exploring the outdoors with my boys.

BTW, my wife joins us from time to time. She is a fair weather cacher that joins us for no other reason than she wants to spend time with all three of her "boys." She knows wher to find us!

George

Our kids are hooked! Had to buy our oldest (11) his own GPS so he would leave mine alone. He even goes caching on outings with other people while they are doing something else. His 5th grade class had to do a demo on something, so he chose geocaching. We his a cache on school grounds and loaded it with the usual pens and log book as well as a treat for the whole class (jolly ranchers) our 5 year old daughter informs us that "you are not supposed to put food or candy in caches" I think she is hooked as well, even has her own bag of cache goodies. Our 22mo gets pretty excited about chewing the the GPSr. Seems to enjoy the outdoors as well.

quote:
Originally posted by JMMR:

We are new to geocaching, but I took advantage of my excitement about the whole thing to get my kids more involved. So, I've done two things, one is to hide their Christmas presents in a location that they had to find using the GPS, and I've also invited their friends along to help us find caches. Everyone gets to help and in this way, they all learn. My kids are 9 and 11 years old, and they already have a good sense of direction and are learning to use the compass and GPS really well. Birthday parties have lots of potential!!! cheers JMMR

My kids, ages 3 and 6, don't care too much about caching. They just enjoy the hikes and being outdoors. Letting the kids explore along the way, and - like Dad and they Dynamic said - let them stop, touch, throw rock etc. I took my kids on a mile bike ride (they both did it with training wheels)and then a 2 mile walk and they loved every minute of it. I bring along their snoopy canteens and each has a compass to carry. We explore the woods and rivers and the kids look for animals tracks while Dad fumbles with the GPS. Good stuff!

With man, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible!

I learned about geo-caching from a colleague where I teach. We took our 14 year old daughter and a friend with us. They really enjoyed it. We are going to take our younger daughters this weekend. I figure if 14 year old girls like it...Of course my husband is enjoying the "techie" side of it~ icon_rolleyes.giffrog.gif

[This message was edited by BG Bunch on May 05, 2003 at 11:03 AM.]

I have a son, 14, and a daughter, 13. They are both very interested in Geocaching. Unfortunately, they don't get along well at this age. On our first day of caching they had a HUGE fight over a flat penny that we found in a micro-cache.

That's when I decided to take them one at a time, which works out well because my son is willing to do longer, more difficult hikes and doesn't mind rain. While my daughter prefers finding many easy ones in one day.

This way they both get "just me and Mom" time.

Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.

icon_smile.gifI have found that my 12 year old has become a great map reader and has learned to pay attention to little details with his caching. He has even learned how to read a compass and take bearings at some of the caches, where it was required. He just gave a presentation at our Homeschooling Group's ShareFair, where the kids share some of what they have done during the school year and received an award for it. He, too, placed caches with goodies(an ammo box and a micro cache) for the other families to find. He's all set to place some real caches and set loose some travel bugs too. It is a great way to get exercise, both mental and physical, and to have some quality family time. We've been doing it for about a year now, and with a 6 month hiatus, are back into the swing of it and have geocaching fever again!

One suggestion for multiple caching kids is to set out an order(after the finder, of course) by drawing cards or sticks, and rotating the order at each cache find. That way the whole family can cache together and learn to take turns picking or doing assigned tasks in rotation, etc...it has worked for us when we take other kids along.

Happy caching

Kat and Jammer(and LuckyDog too)

my children at ages 4 and 7 love the outdoors, so it is not too difficult. we carry bird books, audubon society field guides, and binoculars. they love to identify different animals, plants etc.

zakk, a 5 year old boy, loves maps (treasure maps.) i peint arial and topo maps from expertGPS and he follows along. we also got a cheap 2nd hand magellan 315 so they can both carry a GPSr. look into the older and used model GPSr, as the kids love to get hands on.

get the kids to hide their own cache. it adds that much more to it.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

I was thinking about hiding my friend's birthday present and using that as an opportunity to introduce her to caching. I was a bit concerned that the present might be inadvertently discovered and plundered before we had a chance to get there, so I was thinking I would hide a micro cache which gives the directions to the gift, i.e., "your gift is under the seat in the car" or something like that. This is just SO exciting! I can't wait to get my kids at school involved!

My two kids were fighting for GPS at first, and after I bought a second one - they are fighting for Garin eTrex Vista, and the one who gets Magellan SporTrack feels unmotivated (although I find it quite usable). Big sandwiches in the backpack help motivation and good memories a lot - there is some thick nerve between the stomach and the brain, you know :-)

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

My only problem is, on occasion, wresting control of the GPS away from son. icon_wink.gif

I'm thinking about getting him his own GPSr for Christmas.

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Our entry was easy - our youngster introduced us after being introduced by a much admired teacher.

Geocaching is a great opportunity for your children to invite a friend to join them for a day or afternoon. Having a buddy along is fun in itself. Finding out your dad knows things your friends find to be cool is, well, priceless.

"You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you’re going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

I think kids just like spending quality time with their parents. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as they are involved. You can't get so bogged down in any activity that you forget about them. Heck, my 18 month enjoyed the process today of finding a cache just because she was with daddy. She loved the historic bridge but the rock was the most memorable part for her.

Followers 0