Working Out Cordinations

I don't know this cache personally but reading the description it looks like you have to do the orienteering trail and pick up the information from all the control posts along the way. Once you have all the info then you need to substitute numbers for all the letters. I hope i've got that right. Perhaps a local cacher could give more info.

HTH

J

I've not found this particular cache and only briefly looked at the page but other than the walk and navigation it seems quite straight forward.

You need to visit each orienteering post. Note letter and number engraved on it. Substitute the number for the letter in the equation. Then evaluate the equation.

Resulting coordinates should deliver you to the cache.

Try to evaluate the equation as early as you can or you might have a long walk back, as there is no defined start point or route. :D

I've not found this particular cache and only briefly looked at the page but other than the walk and navigation it seems quite straight forward.

You need to visit each orienteering post. Note letter and number engraved on it. Substitute the number for the letter in the equation. Then evaluate the equation.

Resulting coordinates should deliver you to the cache.

Try to evaluate the equation as early as you can or you might have a long walk back, as there is no defined start point or route. :D

So the bit I want to know how do I work out the Cords? (Letter and Number?) The Page does say the cache info?

The cache can be found at:

N51 (Q+N)(D-H).(C-J)(K/E)(B-G) W003 (U-F)(R-A).(V-P)(S-M)(B-L-E).

??

So the bit I want to know how do I work out the Cords? (Letter and Number?) The Page does say the cache info?

??

So you go to the Orienteering course, and go to checkpoint 1, it will have a letter on it Q (the cache page gives you this); you then go to checkpoint 2, it's letter may be (for example) N.

So now you know Q=1, N=2, therefore you substitute those numbers in the equation and so

becomes

N51 (1+2)(D-H).(C-J)(K/E)(B-G) W003 (U-F)(R-A).(V-P)(S-M)(B-L-E).

which is

N51 3 (D-H).(C-J)(K/E)(B-G) W003 (U-F)(R-A).(V-P)(S-M)(B-L-E).

By the time you've visited every chekpoint and collected the letter on each one you'll have a value for each letter, and substitute them all into the eqauation, do the maths and you'll end up with a normal set of co-ords which should be the cache location

??

So you go to the Orienteering course, and go to checkpoint 1, it will have a letter on it Q (the cache page gives you this); you then go to checkpoint 2, it's letter may be (for example) N.

So now you know Q=1, N=2, therefore you substitute those numbers in the equation and so

becomes

which is

By the time you've visited every chekpoint and collected the letter on each one you'll have a value for each letter, and substitute them all into the eqauation, do the maths and you'll end up with a normal set of co-ords which should be the cache location

I've been over there a good few times and I have noticed the check points ect ect.

They obviously show the cordinations on the Cache page But how did you work it out i there a guide for this????

So how did you work out the letters into numbers?

??

becomes

which is

I've been over there a good few times and I have noticed the check points ect ect.

They obviously show the cordinations on the Cache page But how did you work it out i there a guide for this????

So how did you work out the letters into numbers?

The orienteering point bear both a letter and a number.

I notice from your log you do not have a GPSr.

How do you intend to arrive at you final calculate coordinates? It's not impossible but is somewhat more difficult without dynamic GPS indication. :D

I really don't think I can explain it any clearer than MartyBartfast has done above but I'll give it a go...

Walk around the orienteering course, making a note of the letters/numbers on the checkpoints. You should end up with a long list e.g. A = (number), B = (another number), C = (another number)

Once you've collected all the letters/numbers, put the numbers into the equation and you'll end up with something like

e.g. N51 (2+1)(7-3).(5-4)(8/2)(7-1) W003 (9-5)(6-2).(8-4)(3-1)(8-2-2).

Then do the maths... and you'll end up with the coordinates

e.g. N51 34.146 W003 44.424

Put those final co-ords into your GPS and go off and search for the box.

Does that help?

MrsB :)

This particular cache is a 'Multi-cache', in which you have to visit several locations gathering information to enable you to work out the final location. As it is your first attempt at finding a cache, you might find it better trying a 'Traditional' cache, where the cache is actually at the published coordinates. Once you have found out how to find these you could go back to trying a multi-cache, when the instructions may make more sense. There are several traditional caches near the cache you have been trying.

Good luck

This particular cache is a 'Multi-cache', in which you have to visit several locations gathering information to enable you to work out the final location. As it is your first attempt at finding a cache, you might find it better trying a 'Traditional' cache, where the cache is actually at the published coordinates. Once you have found out how to find these you could go back to trying a multi-cache, when the instructions may make more sense. There are several traditional caches near the cache you have been trying.

Good luck

Yeah thanks for that this one seems a hard one, I went up there today to make sense of the "Letters" I found 11 Points and had the "Letters" i.e 18 S and so on.

Can I ask something why does the page give the cordinates on there?

How would I be able to uncover this?

Good luck

Yeah thanks for that this one seems a hard one, I went up there today to make sense of the "Letters" I found 11 Points and had the "Letters" i.e 18 S and so on.

Can I ask something why does the page give the cordinates on there?

How would I be able to uncover this?

As it's a multi cache the coords on the page will take you somewhere in the vicinity of the actual location but not actually to it. In this case the cache page says "The coordinates given above are not those of the final cache but for an O.S. Trig point at the top of Mumbles Hill." Several people have already given you pretty explicit explanations of how to get the actual coordinates but they appear to be falling on deaf ears. I agree with the post from The Bongtwashes i.e. try some traditional caches first, preferably with a GPS, and come back to this one once you know the ropes.

Edited by MBFace

Thanks for the help it's appreciated although I'm not very good at Maths!

But plenty of others to explore in this area! :D

Edit I happened to visit the area again to day to make a note of some of the pointers and the owner of the challenge has kindly provided me with the rest of the code.

The Numbers are from 1 - 19 and have different letters yikes this is fun!!

Edited by RobCharles1981

If you get stuck with the formulas and have an iPhone, I can strongly recommend an app I use (and have no affiliation towards): GCBUDDY

This cache is one of my favourites and was great unplanned fun. Only one of the checkpoints was difficult to find as it was very over grown.

So have you done this one?

As I said at the start, I've been up here a few times doing video shots and the like and a cracking view of Mumbles bay too!

I don't have an Iphone I have a Blackberry

Cheers

If you have a PC at home.

http://www.myhomestead.plus.com/multicalc.htm

Multicalc allows you to key in the equation and the answers you have, and will work out the coordinates.

I often use it on local multi caches, which I will do in stages while passing, finding the first part, then working out where stage 2 is, to then work out and fing the next stage, until I have the final coordinates.

If you have a PC at home.

http://www.myhomestead.plus.com/multicalc.htm

Multicalc allows you to key in the equation and the answers you have, and will work out the coordinates.

I often use it on local multi caches, which I will do in stages while passing, finding the first part, then working out where stage 2 is, to then work out and fing the next stage, until I have the final coordinates.

Or if you have an Android phone there is GeocachingBuddy