Geocaching in Antarctica..

MacDaddy
Followers 0

I recently taught a Search and Rescue class for a group that works in Palmer Station, Antarctica.

We used geocaching in our GPS_map & compass training.

That crew is heading down soon, and they have promised to place a cache on an island near Palmer Station. They have a 2-mile limit of travel from Station, so it should'nt be too hard to find! icon_biggrin.gif

Don't wait until tomorrow. Get out and do it now, before you wake up and look at the mirror, and the person looking back at you asks you why we never did those things?!!

Well, since my last posting, someone put out two caches at McMurdo.

And yes, they do get good coverage. They practice doing searches and survey around surrounding islands using GPS receivers. As of my last class in Page, AZ. this January, they are using Garmin 12's.

We placed a cache near Page, called "Kanab 64".

We used it as part of the GPS exercise. It was adopted by a local cacher in Page, so I hope it lasts a while.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Communication satellites tend to be in geostationary orbits over the equator (so they appear to be in the same location in the sky at all times when viewed from earth). GPS satellites don't suffer from that positioning limitation--they move around the sky.

I don't believe there is any reason that Antarctica would have worse coverage than anywhere else on the globe.

--

"I saw two shooting stars last night,

I wished on them--but they were only satellites!

Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?

I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care."

--Billy Bragg, "A New England"

Over either of the poles GPS coverage (as in number of satellites) isn't all that different to the rest of the world as GPS is a global utility, the world's first global utility.

The main difference is that there's no GPS sats above about 45 degrees in any direction, which can cause some elevation issues.

Using GPS+Glonass in these latitudes does aid elevation results as Glonass being more tuned for higher latiitudes extends coverage up to about 60 degrees above the horizon.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Followers 0