ideas for 1st and 2nd graders

Followers 0

We have decided to take a class of 1st and 2nd graders on an easy cache. We are looking for ideas on how to incorporate some learning into the field trip - anything from being kind to the environment to plant/tree/insect/wildlife identification. Any ideas on how to make it a fun learning experience would be great!!

Believe it or not, my first and third graders like Trashing Out as much as finding the cache itself. They also argue over who gets to carry the GPS and compass, so you could tie in some navigation (maybe introduce Lewis and Clark or other famous explorers).

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

I think the Lewis and Clark and the BINGO game are great ideas. The BINGO would even help with learning about the different types of trees, plants, etc. We are going to set a new cache (our kids are cachers and don't want to redo an old one) - we are thinking of setting the cache along the Erie Canal system (Waterford, NY). "Trashing out" will definately be a part of the day - they can't learn to early! Thanks for the ideas!

I think I may have been in 3rd or 4th grade at the time. But my elementary school had one day a year that was free classes. I remember one year taking a class on edible plants. Miners lettuce, Cat tails, and other such things. My girls who are in third and first grade both seem to enjoy trying these things and learning about them. They also enjoy amateur tracking, recognizing different animal or people foot prints and which direction they were heading.

I'm trying to think of ideas for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd, and it occurred to me that for the littlest ones just learning the word "satellite" and having a basic understanding of what that means would be a big achievement. Probably a lot of their parents won't know!

Followers 0