Streak cheats

because I have heard of some going out and finding several caches and dating them for the future.

I logged a cache last week where there was a post-dated entry in the book. I took a photo of my entry below theirs, just in case there was confusion later on. Interestingly, the post-dated-user hasn't logged it online for any date yet...

I logged a cache last week where there was a post-dated entry in the book. I took a photo of my entry below theirs, just in case there was confusion later on. Interestingly, the post-dated-user hasn't logged it online for any date yet...

Have we gotten to their date yet? Maybe they're waiting to log it online so it all happens on the same day (except the actual find, of course).

Have we gotten to their date yet?

Yes.

If I had to guess, I'd say that they would have mis-temporally logged if no one had made a find between the actual visit and the projected date.

I thought about waiting to log mine to see what would happen but I always am up-to-date with my entries.

Hmmm, back-dating my finds so I can 'qualify' for the 365 day streak challenge...what an EXCELLENT idea!

Thanks for the tip! :)

Personally, I think streak challenges should not be allowed under the new guidelines, since they force me to alter my usual style and find only one cache a day and leave the rest for later.

Perhaps your challenge was listed before that guideline went into effect?

I guess I have to say that a well-designed challenge would be un-cheatable.

Of course, who wants to believe our fellow geocachers would 'cheat' just to get a smilie?

Personally, I think streak challenges should not be allowed under the new guidelines, since they force me to alter my usual style and find only one cache a day and leave the rest for later.

I'm not aware of any streak challenges that require finding exactly one cache a day for a certain number of consecutive days. Perhaps you're thinking of a Baker's Dozen challenge? I'd be surprised if even those are disallowed under the new challenge cache guidelines, since I don't think they require a significant change to a geocacher's usual style. (Many challenge caches are still approved even though they require some change to a geocacher's usual style.)

I suppose if you really, really cared and had way to much free time you could look at his matrix and check the caches he logged when he only had one on that day. See if they were edited and what day. You could make an inference that one edited on the day he only had one might be suspect.

Personally I would spend that time caching or enjoying my signature line.

If you are going to point out your sig line you really should correct the typo. dry.gif

drinds?

You mised the point. I typed it after the drinks

Hmmm, back-dating my finds so I can 'qualify' for the 365 day streak challenge...what an EXCELLENT idea!

One trip down the ET Highway and you could keep a streak going for 5 years!

FINALLY, a valid reason to go there!

And you don't have to worry about anyone checking the logs for your signature! If they can even find the film canister you signed for each cache (since it has probably "three-cache-monte"d down the road), odds are the log is already long gone and replaced with a bunch of stickers and slips of paper.

1500 day streak, here I come!

One trip down the ET Highway and you could keep a streak going for 5 years!

FINALLY, a valid reason to go there!

well, given each cache is not at the same location after the prior finder (well, the folks who do container swapping that is), it would be hard to prove which day was which!

I am on day 83 of a 400 day challenge, and I was out of having the internet at home for a month, I kept a log of my daily finds and recently logged them all after we could afford the internet again. I am sure I may get accused of cheating, but who knows. I know I am being truthful... as far as actually witnessing the cheating with logs being deleted and relogged... I am not sure you can do anything about it from your standpoint. I think that is up to the original CO or each cache in the streak... I know if I had a cache hidden and logs were being deleted and relogged I might ask the logger whats up... but what can you really do? If people want to lie and cheat to "get ahead" then I guess that is their life choice ;-)

I am on day 83 of a 400 day challenge, and I was out of having the internet at home for a month, I kept a log of my daily finds and recently logged them all after we could afford the internet again. I am sure I may get accused of cheating, but who knows. I know I am being truthful... as far as actually witnessing the cheating with logs being deleted and relogged... I am not sure you can do anything about it from your standpoint. I think that is up to the original CO or each cache in the streak... I know if I had a cache hidden and logs were being deleted and relogged I might ask the logger whats up... but what can you really do? If people want to lie and cheat to "get ahead" then I guess that is their life choice ;-)

There is no reason to delete and re-log in order to cheat. I just tested it. If I change the date on a log, it adds the "was edited on..." tag to the log, but it does not notify the cache owner. If the challenge owner wants to go through each of the cachers logs, they may discover that logs have been edited, but there is really no way for the individual cache owners to know, or even care that an individual cacher may be changing the find date on their caches.

As far as streak challenges go, I have never seen one where the CO wanted a list of the caches that are being used to qualify. To require one and try to verify it would be a lesson in futility.

Meanwhile, cachers have been doing things that not all would consider to be ethical since the very first challenge cache. Anyone ever attend a 5/5 event at a pizza parlor? I have. I have also seen 10 identical caches placed along a bike trail, all with different D/T ratings that in no way reflected that true D/T of the caches. Get five streakers together and they can each put out LPCs at a daily rate so that the fellow streakers will have something to find. Working on an alphabet challenge and need an X cache? Get your buddy to place a cache and name it X-Ray. It doesn't even have to be at the X-Ray clinic.

Posted in the wrong place initially.

First post here, this is how strongly I feel! This is sort of along the same lines.

Caching yesterday(18/6/12) I found a cache and and in the log the was a cachers that had found it previously that had logged the 18th too, but above them there was a log dated 19th. Thinking that someone had just got their days muddled thought nothing of it untill today when they logged the find as the 19th. I know that there are no laws/rules about this, but we are currently on a continuous caching streak of over 340 days, homing in on a years worth of caching. In that time we have never predated caches to have a day off, logged ones we couldn't find or anything of the sort. In fact we have actively gone out of the way to do ones on different sides of the town, sometimes county just so noone could even accuse us of doing that sort of thing. But to blatently do it after 2 cachers have logged it the day before is scandalous!

Where are the caching police when you need them?

Posted in the wrong place initially.

First post here, this is how strongly I feel! This is sort of along the same lines.

Caching yesterday(18/6/12) I found a cache and and in the log the was a cachers that had found it previously that had logged the 18th too, but above them there was a log dated 19th. Thinking that someone had just got their days muddled thought nothing of it untill today when they logged the find as the 19th. I know that there are no laws/rules about this, but we are currently on a continuous caching streak of over 340 days, homing in on a years worth of caching. In that time we have never predated caches to have a day off, logged ones we couldn't find or anything of the sort. In fact we have actively gone out of the way to do ones on different sides of the town, sometimes county just so noone could even accuse us of doing that sort of thing. But to blatently do it after 2 cachers have logged it the day before is scandalous!

Where are the caching police when you need them?

In the end, you know what you have accomplished, and you know that you did it the right way. No one can take that away from you.

anyone who cheat in this game or not play it right, only cheat them self,

ok I can not see what they did or how they did it,

and so I may stop look at other peoples stats and think wow, cool you really did all that ?

maybe that is the whole idea about puplic stats.

one way to fix all this cheating, is to make all stats and find counts only visible by your self !

I am one of them who normally thinks cheating is the same as lying,

it is not smart and it ruin the fun of the game for all others

who play honest and actually deserve all their numbers.

when people clearly write: I saw it, but did not climp up to log it,

then I delete their find log, otherwise I can not do anything about it..