Error Uploading Field Notes from 62S

HoustonControl

I cached my way home from GeoWoodstock, dutifully marking each cache as found on my Garmin 62S. But when I uploaded my field notes, several caches were suspiciously missing. A little investigation and I found that the ones that didn't "come through" were older caches with 6-character or less GC numbers. I opened the geocache_visits.txt file in notepad and noticed that the entry lines for these older caches were a bit corrupted. For example, a portion of the file looked like this:

GCQZXB N,2012-05-28T17:48Z,Found it,""

GC2DA4D ,2012-05-28T19:20Z,Found it,""

GCZRNF L,2012-05-28T19:26Z,Found it,"PIC"

GCAD8 Ge,2012-05-28T20:27Z,Found it,""

GCPYA5 L,2012-05-28T20:45Z,Found it,""

GC1KH9K ,2012-05-28T21:16Z,Found it,""

As you can see, the shorter GC code caches ended up with another letter or two in the line before the first comma -- which happens to be the first letter or two of the geocache name. I edited the file to remove the extraneous letter(s), re-uploaded it and everything came out as it should.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why this is happening? I guess it could be related to how I'm creating the GPX file with GSAK before loading on my GPSr.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why this is happening? I guess it could be related to how I'm creating the GPX file with GSAK before loading on my GPSr.

I suspect the problem is in the above bolded step. I assume you're doing a File > Export > GPX/Loc File, rather than sending to the GPS directly? If you bring up this dialog, look in the center-right for the "Waypoint name" field. To get just the GC code (which is required for the field notes to work with the website), this field should contain just "%code" (without quotes). Right now it probably has something else after the "%code", like "%name".