how long to hold....

PirateKel

why do people, including moderators, keep telling people that it is ok to keep a tb for a month??? some say even longer. In Travel Bug Faq, it says "Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their Travel Bug do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a Travel Bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know."

TWO WEEKS. twice now, cachers have held on to mine for over a month... without getting to me as it is stated above. I think that should someone ask that question, they should be referred to where it says 2 weeks. not told some random time length. Maybe that is why people keep them for too long.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx

2 weeks is a good guideline but one must use common sense.

If it is winter or otherwise a difficult time to cache for folks weather-wise, it is best to be patient.

If your TB or GC has a specific goal (some of mine want to visit higher difficulty and/or higher terrain caches, some want to visit puzzle caches, etc.) then it is best to be patient.

Since finding a suitable cache, large enough to accomodate a traveler can sometimes be a challenge in certain areas (like mine) I find it is best to be patient.

I don't start to get concerned until about 2 months, 3 months if it is winter. At that point I just send a polite reminder note.

And a good way to be less concerned about the 2 week rule is to release a lot of travelers. That makes it harder to stress out about any one or two of them. :)

I think that should someone ask that question, they should be referred to where it says 2 weeks. not told some random time length. Maybe that is why people keep them for too long.

It depends on why they ask. If they truly cannot drop a TB "in two weeks", and are asking for a little more time, I'd expect people to say, "Yes, keep it for a month". It's none of their business -- respondents should instead insist the TO be asked directly -- but there it is.

I'd also like cachers that have a TB listed in their posession to contact the owner at the 2-week point, with an update. And once it's obvious that a TB's gone, the last log should be from the current holder saying "I lost it", or whatever. But many people take zero responsibility for their actions, which extends through everything they do, not just with Travel Bugs.

AND many people are on a hair trigger, with serious issues, and you set them off by telling them "No". So there's less grief to just say, "Yes, keep it (for however long you like)".

Edited by kunarion

So of course I agree with you in general, although I'd prefer the wording weren't "It's OK to hold it for more than 2 weeks if you're polite about it," but rather stronger, like "Don't take a TB if you're not going to be able to drop it within a week or maybe 2. If you do plan to hold it longer, make sure to explain to the owner."

But, on the other hand, I consider myself lucky if a bug ever gets dropped.

I actually just picked up a travel bug I plan on keeping until Mid-July. I immedietly contacted the bug owner and asked for permission and assured them if they weren't ok with it I would drop the bug in a TB hotel tomorrow morning. I explained to them that I would not go back to America until mid-July and I would love to bring it there when we go. The bug is orginally from Austria and I am currently living in Germany (military). From the bugs history I see there has not been a whole lot of movement or pictures in the past two years and it has been stuck in Europe for ages. The owners emailed me back and were thrilled the bug would be going to the states and I emailed them back my thank yous and reassured them between now and mid-July we would take the bug all around with us so the activity would still be there. So we plan on taking the TB whenever we go caching and just dipping it when we discover a cache. The bug is very special because it is a memorial bug for a little five year old girl who passed in 2005. I believe if you have good intentions for the bug but you have to wait a while just contact the owner and I am sure they would really appreciate it. However, if you are just lazy or just a sometimes cacher don't bother picking up the TB. I have a handful of bugs out there and some are very active and some only show up a couple times here and there. I have contacted one holder of my bug because it was my first and he was the first grabber. Well a month and a half rolled by and no activity. He emailed me back and explained he was waiting on a trip to Spain. Great plan but let the owner know! Well...cache ya later!

I actually just picked up a travel bug I plan on keeping until Mid-July. I immedietly contacted the bug owner and asked for permission and assured them if they weren't ok with it I would drop the bug in a TB hotel tomorrow morning. I explained to them that I would not go back to America until mid-July and I would love to bring it there when we go. The bug is orginally from Austria and I am currently living in Germany (military). From the bugs history I see there has not been a whole lot of movement or pictures in the past two years and it has been stuck in Europe for ages. The owners emailed me back and were thrilled the bug would be going to the states and I emailed them back my thank yous and reassured them between now and mid-July we would take the bug all around with us so the activity would still be there. So we plan on taking the TB whenever we go caching and just dipping it when we discover a cache. The bug is very special because it is a memorial bug for a little five year old girl who passed in 2005. I believe if you have good intentions for the bug but you have to wait a while just contact the owner and I am sure they would really appreciate it. However, if you are just lazy or just a sometimes cacher don't bother picking up the TB. I have a handful of bugs out there and some are very active and some only show up a couple times here and there. I have contacted one holder of my bug because it was my first and he was the first grabber. Well a month and a half rolled by and no activity. He emailed me back and explained he was waiting on a trip to Spain. Great plan but let the owner know! Well...cache ya later!

and that is how it should be :D

what I meant about people asking in the forums, is that they dont say they have a reason they cant comply to 2 weeks... I mean they dont know. And the moderator says a month... one even said 2 months. If one is a moderator, they should say what is said in the FAQs.

I have no clue where my trackable is because too many people think its ok to keep it.

What it says about Trackable Etiquette in the Help Center:

"Be considerate and don't take a Trackable if you are not planning to go geocaching in the next 2-3 weeks. The owners want them to travel and not to stay too long in one cacher's hands. Sometimes, unexpected delays occur. Simply send a note to the owner of that item and let them know the situation."

What it says in the Info pinned above:

"Travel bug not moving? 2 weeks is about normal in a busy area. 3 months is normal too in some areas. Check the cache rating and activity. One month is long enough to send a friendly email asking for an update on your TB."

On the detailed instruction page "How to use a travel bug" I see no mention of how long you should/shouldn't hold a travel bug.

It would be great if all my TBs got moved along within two weeks but, realistically, I know that's not going to happen. Life happens. Not everyone is able to go caching every week, or even every month.

And a good way to be less concerned about the 2 week rule is to release a lot of travelers. That makes it harder to stress out about any one or two of them. :)

Exactly! :)

MrsB

Travel Bug Faq -- scroll down -- " Is there any Travel Bug etiquette? Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their Travel Bug do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a Travel Bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know. "

just showing you where it says :)

and btw... I am fine with people hanging on to it for longer because it has a goal and maybe 3 weeks after they pick it up, they know they will be able to get it to, or at least closer to the goal.... but it does say to contact the owner if it will be longer. I even have that on the TBs page.

I have fist-full of TBs and coins in my possession right now.

I have gathered them over the last few weeks.

When I got them I looked at their goals and in some cases posted in the log that I was traveling to Europe in mid-June and would be happy to get the TB

a) closer to their goal

B -) just far flung on an adventure

but it would require to hold on to the bug for up to a month.

in one case I rescued the dog tag that had lost its attachment ( which was described but not photographed.) All there was int he box was a dogtag

in that case I went out and bought something that was a representation of the original in figure and spirit and constructed a new attachment for the TB. I photographed it and posted it to the TBs page

in ALL cases above, I have heard nothing from the original owner about it being OK or Cool or Thanks or No Way.

Many bugs, I got relocated the next weekend or in the case of last weekend, within 24 / 48 hours

So I assume all is good when I don't hear from anybody

or

that the original owners really don't care and are not following their bug.

One TB from OZ I am hoping to take to its final goal place. It will be a great adventure for the both of us. I should have fun with the adventure and the pictures.

Along the way I am setting loose 5 of my own

I expect to never hear of them again . If I do I will be happy and surprised and thankful and i will certainly let it be know via the TBs log page.

I live in an area with a notorious Bug Hoarder. No way would I release here.

The last thing I want to do is hold on to a bug for months on end and make them wonder where and what has become of them

Edited by Meandering WA

You, and yes I do mean you, should never hold a bug more than 3 weeks. If you cannot place it sooner or would like to hang on to it longer, maybe to take it on a trip you should contact the owner. Most are pretty cool about it as long as they know their bug hasn't been forgotten.

On the flip side I don't even worry about a bug being held for at least three months. None of us have any idea what might be occurring in that persons life that keeps them from caching. Illness, injury, a death in the family.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #5. If you must email a TB holder to do anything other than thank them, DO NOT give an order, or be even the slightest bit negative. Sugar coat every word. Do not transfer your standards and expectations to another person. Unless you are related, you do not really KNOW their situation.

These kinds of stories get talked about at events. Things like I'm gonna (X-Y-Z) that bug if I ever run across it again get said over a few beers. Makes ya think.... ;)

I try to drop the TB's off within a couple weeks.

If I don't (or can't), I'll email the owner and re-assure them that I still have the TB and I haven't had a chance to get out and cache.

Currently, I've had one coin and a TB for a month. I e-mailed the owners and told them "I'm going to Arizona in a month and would love to take the TB's with me to Arizona" . Basically, asking permission to hold onto these TB's and taking them to Arizona.

Both owners were OK with it..... I've been 'visiting' the TB's to caches every weekend since then.

Holding onto a TB will all depend on the TB owner. Some owners aren't 'watching' their TB's at all while others watch them religiously. You're better off sending an e-mail to the owners and talking with them about it.

oh yeah.... if someone had my tb and contacted me (which has happened) to say that it will be a bit longer, but it is because they will be getting it closer to the goal or something, then yeah that would be great! I think I have even done that. Kind of like, I guess it is ok but I dont like the concept of handing a tb to other people, but if who picked it up knew they couldnt get it closer to the goal but a fellow cacher friend of theirs would, then by all means. But if a cacher even wants to deal with tbs in the first place, they should know that they will need to go and check the goal, if it has any, and comply. If you dont think you could, dont pick it up!

I am looking for an answer to a question. I have just found a travel bug and its goal it just to travel around. I have the oppotunity to get this travel bug to go around the world, but I wont actually be with it and the person that would take it isn't a geocacher. But as I have the full travel schedule I will know where it will be all the time, all the cities it will be in dates, and times. Is this acceptable to log this kind of travel or not. I see where some people say that they took a travel but to various caches and kept it with them the whole, not dropping it off but logging that it had been to all these different caches, keeping it moving and logging miles. If its not ok to do this with the TB i'll move it on to a cache near by.

I am looking for an answer to a question. I have just found a travel bug and its goal it just to travel around. I have the oppotunity to get this travel bug to go around the world, but I wont actually be with it and the person that would take it isn't a geocacher. But as I have the full travel schedule I will know where it will be all the time, all the cities it will be in dates, and times. Is this acceptable to log this kind of travel or not. I see where some people say that they took a travel but to various caches and kept it with them the whole, not dropping it off but logging that it had been to all these different caches, keeping it moving and logging miles. If its not ok to do this with the TB i'll move it on to a cache near by.

going by answers that I have had.... I would say that it would be best to contact the bug owner and see what their own preferences are. I myself dont like that, from my experiences... but a lot of people are ok with that

Edited by PirateKel

going by answers that I have had.... I would say that it would be best to contact the bug owner and see what their own preferences are. I myself dont like that, from my experiences... but a lot of people are ok with that

I think since I wont be with it and it wont be in any caches that I will just move it along locally. Thanks for the fast reply!