"hide a cache problems"

jsh01

ive only posted a few times on the forum, sorry to all you cachers thats more experienced than myself.

tonight UK time i tried to "hide a cache" without much sucess, anyway i have pasted my comment below, sent to Groundspeak. maybe it's me? i don't know. if anyone is having problems please post or if you have found the new precedure to "hide a cache" ok, or tell me please where i'm going wrong. cheers jim (jsh01)

(try changing the comment below to italic etc...., does not work for me, not my best day :blink: )

sorry to write, but i have just tried to "hide a cache" and when i get to the country and region ie..and select UK and northern scotland, it's then rejected and asks for a coordinates (no prompt boxes for this action)

please return to the original "hide and cache page" instructions. this error message comes up without an option to correct this.

it's just to much. prompt appears "confirm coordinates on map" prompt does not work. on that page all your asking is for "location" when i enter this it comes back an error "PLEASE CORRECT THE FOLLOWING ISSUES" please enter a location and please confirm the coordinates of the map? there is no dialogue box for this.

why don't you just leave it in it's original form? a case of Groundspeak complicating everything. what will happen is that cachers will just get fed up with your gliche and not post a new cache.

kind regards and hope you can point me in the right direction.

jim (jsh01)

Edited by jsh01

Apologies if I'm not quite understanding your issue. I had a little trouble following along.

One comment I'd like to make is that EVERY geocache placed should be checked on the map before submitted. You would be surprised at how many times someone (even experienced geocachers) enter coordinates, and do NOT check the map to see if the coordinates look right. Geocachers go to find the cache, and they can't because a wrong digit was hit and the cache is MILES (sometimes hundreds of miles) from where the cache is hidden. Checking the map is an easy step (if it's working correctly) and VERY important.

I am sorry I can't help you with the tech stuff, with anything not working correctly. I can understand your frustration.

Apologies if I did not understand your question.

The new cache submission form was introduced and as people have discovered had a major flaw in it! The UK region apppeared to auto select to Southern England no matter where you were. Groundspeak weren't able to fix this so have turned off that auto bit for now. When you are creating your cache page you need to manually select the region. If you are not sure exactly where you are then click here for a map showing the regions.

Reading your post you seem to be having problems entering the coordinates. You enter the coordinates at the top of the second page and below you check them on the map. Below that you manually enter the UK region. You must enter coordinates in the correct format. Below the box where you enter them it gives examples. Were you using a GPS or 'smart' phone to take the coordinates at the cache location? What format were they in? It won't accept the Ordnance Survey British Grid format if that is what you are using your GPS on. Let us know how you get on and we'll try to help you out.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

hello max and 99

sorry if you found my comment a wee bit skew. the thing is tonight i tried to log a "hide a cache" Groundspeak has changed the way we report a new listing.

before it was easy enough to prepair a listing and enter the co-ordinates and all the other details before placing the cache, so that it would be placed under "your unpublished caches" when i went into my "quick view" and then my profile appeared.

the problem is that geocaching.com has made an error in the sequence of prompts to get you to the next level in trying to get to "hide a cache".

max please try and log a new "hide a cache". before i would have an idea and prep the proposed cache page and just enter any co-ordinates, this way it would be saved under "quick view" "your profile" and unpublished caches and it would appear this way. i can't do this now, even if i tried the prompts on the site are all mish mashed up. maybe i'm not getting something.

kind regards

jim

Edited by jsh01

The "old page" for submitting caches is still available, it's here. I see that jsh01 owns caches, so this form should be comfortable, and it's not buggy. I expect it will continue to be available as long bugs are being found with the CSP.

Report a new Cache

Where is that link for those that aren't familiar with/haven't bookmarked the old URL, though? Some of us don't need, or particularly care, to be led through a Next->Next type of form, and would love to have a preference that we can set.

thanks everyone for your reply, much appreciated. i think i'll just have to bookmark the "old page" and then continue placing caches via the old link.

kind regards and a big cheers to all.

jim (jsh01)

Thank you for the explanation in your earlier post. I have NOT used the new format yet. It sounds frustrating!

The "old page" for submitting caches is still available, it's here. I see that jsh01 owns caches, so this form should be comfortable, and it's not buggy. I expect it will continue to be available as long bugs are being found with the CSP.

Report a new Cache

It's my hope that we will always have a choice as to what method we use. Having used the old form more than a 170 times, I'm more than comfortable with it. I really don't need a "wizard" to step me through the process. When using new software, wizards are handy to help you learn processes. Once you understand the concept, it becomes cumbersome and it's much easier to just use the streamlined form.

The "old page" for submitting caches is still available, ...

Report a new Cache

Where is that link for those that aren't familiar with/haven't bookmarked the old URL, though?

Right at the top of the first page on the new form :lol:

Not ready to try the new cache submission process? Go back to the old page.

Thanks... I missed that! I hope they leave it there.

I made a big fuss over that in the release notes thread. Kind of embarrassed when my temporary blindness was pointed out to me.

e4cc930e-7b8c-4453-a487-fb3e8873e5c5.jpg

thanks to you all for your replies and very glad i can submit a new cache the old way. must be my old grey matter not working the same and old age creeping in.

cheers don j for pasting the new "submit a new cache listing" as a jpeg and showing us all where we can be re-directed to the old page, thanks a million.

kind regards jim (jsh01)

Hi

I am having the same problem as jsh01.

When I enter the co-ordinates, the page refreshes and then comes up with the prompt "confirm coordinates on the map".

The coordinates plotted appear to be correct, but there is no obvious way of confirming them.

I am happy to list the old way, and I personally can see merits and issues in the new way, but I just wanted to say there is this issue with the new way that someone might wish to look into if they plan on introducing it. (That is some people can't - because of the system, not ideology - hide a cache using the new way!!)

Ed (HuskyRat)

Hi

When I enter the co-ordinates, the page refreshes and then comes up with the prompt "confirm coordinates on the map".

The coordinates plotted appear to be correct, but there is no obvious way of confirming them.

I am happy to list the old way, and I personally can see merits and issues in the new way, but I just wanted to say there is this issue with the new way that someone might wish to look into if they plan on introducing it. (That is some people can't - because of the system, not ideology - hide a cache using the new way!!)

Ed (HuskyRat)

Edited by jsh01

hello Ed (huskyrat)

sorry to see that you are having the same problem as i did when trying to list a new cache. everything you say happened when to me when i tried to "hide a cache"

don't know whether other people are having the same problem?

regards jim (jsh01)

ps... tried to add comment to ed's post above but made a mess of it :angry:

Edited by jsh01

Hi

Ed (HuskyRat)

We have a bug in the system that was created when we disabled the auto-fill of country and state/region in certain areas of the world. We did this at the request of the UK reviewers, as UK locations were coming up in the incorrect regions (we rely on Yahoo! WOEIDs for this info, and they are apparently not very accurate in the UK).

The problem only affects multis and unknown caches that require the user to add the final coordinates on the the second page of the form. The work-around is to set the cache type to traditional and fill out what you can in the new form, then edit the cache using the old form to change the data that needs to be changed. Alternatively, you can use the old form from the start. This issue will be corrected in our next site update.

I have the same problem but different. I get an error every time I try to use the new system at container size. No matter how many times I click the container size the page always comes back as an error. The slider goes back to "not chosen" everytime. I finally abandoned it and so I am back to the old page old system again.

I have the same problem but different. I get an error every time I try to use the new system at container size. No matter how many times I click the container size the page always comes back as an error. The slider goes back to "not chosen" everytime. I finally abandoned it and so I am back to the old page old system again.

Try this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=317468&st=0&p=5322024&hl=container%20size&fromsearch=1entry5322024