About to dive in (Reverse Cache Wherigo)

Savoy

So, I'm going to break down and start biulding a Wherigo and need some advice/help.

My area association (geocaching) is going to have an event in a month or so, and I'd like to create a nice Wherigo activity for them. We are going to have several new games, but I though a reverse cache as an Wherigo would be fun since we are in a nice town with several iconic locations.

The idea: create a Wherigo cartridge that would simply show a lower-res picture of a famous location in our town (Litte Rock). The user would simply need to find the location that picture represnts (from the presepective of the picture/graphic - somewhat like the "shapeshot game"). At that point it would display another picture/graphic, and so on for about 6 locations. After the end, it would finally give a location for a cache with a log to sign.

Questions.. 1. can this be done/overdone? Good or bad idea?

2. Since I'm going to be learning, which of the biulders should I learn first - espeically given the type of cartridge I need to biuld.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

- Savoy

Yes, this can be done. You can create active zones and mark them as not visible. The Wherigo Player will process zone events normally, but will not show them to the user. Thus, you can have an event fire when the player is within thirty feet of one of the invisible zones. The event will set the current zone as inactive, congratulate the player, show the next picture, and set the next zone to active (but still invisible).

I'd suggest showing a task for each zone the player must find. The task can show a picture and a clue and are easier than items for new people to deal with.

I'm not going to suggest a Wherigo Builder to use for this as it's a stylistic choice. I currently develop with Groundspeak's Builder and notepad, but some of the things I do can't easily be done in a Builder application and others, while they can, would involve some copy and pasting. I've seem most people choose Urwigo these days.

(And one of these days, I'll get back to developing Wherigo\\kit beyond its demo version, then I'll mention the project here... But that's after I continue development on the new version of the Statbar Modifier. And log caches.)

Yes, you can use a timer so people only have a certain length of time to view the picture. I would not recommend making this an integral part of your cartridge experience, though, because people do have the option to take a screen shot of their phone. Doing so tends to defeat the point of giving people only a limited amount of time to view a picture.

"Bijou"... I think I know where that might come from. But after you manage to write nine "Found It" logs, aren't you done with caching?