Garmin gpsmap 60csx off by 30 feet

Boxcars

Perhaps the cache owner's GPSr was 30 feet off when they collected the co-ordinates.

Maybe it was 20 feet off, and your unit is 10 feet off.

Maybe...

30 feet is about as good as you really should expect.

The best way to calibrate your GPS, or at least see if it really is off that much is to see what it reads at a truly known CORRECT location, like a triangulation station benchmark with adjusted co-ordinates.

After repeated re-calibrations, the compass page on my gpsmap is consistently pointing about 30 feet away when arriving at the exact cache location. Any ideas?

When arriving at the "exact cache location" where would you expect the compass to point? You are THERE, it has no direction to accurately point to!

Within 30 ft or so, you have reached Ground Zero. It's common for the GPSr (compass page included) to start bouncing around.

After repeated re-calibrations, the compass page on my gpsmap is consistently pointing about 30 feet away when arriving at the exact cache location. Any ideas?

Is this one cache location or every cache location? If it always off by 30' at many locations, is it off in the same direction every time? That would indicate that the datum is set incorrectly. It should be set to WGS 84. MENU/MENU/SETUP/UNITS/MAP DATUM.

Also, calibrating your compass has no effect on the distance displayed. It just effects which way the arrow will point when you are standing still and holding the unit level.

Your gps vs the COs gps, cache migration...lot of factors.

I usually don't notice how close my garmin gets me because it's in my pocket. I walk along the trail until I hear it beep, and then start looking.

Yesterday I sat down to write my log next to the cache, and my garmin fell out of my pocket (it's tethered to my backpack) I lookedand it said 2ft, 2ft from the cache.

I agree w/Az, check it with against a BM.