Serial to USB connection

tomtwogates

Hi all - anyone have experience in connecting the basic Garmin yellow Etrex to a windows 7 computer?

My desktop still has a serial port, but the laptop does not.

I see the physical cable is readily available, but is there software required and is this straight forward?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Hi all - anyone have experience in connecting the basic Garmin yellow Etrex to a windows 7 computer?

My desktop still has a serial port, but the laptop does not.

I see the physical cable is readily available, but is there software required and is this straight forward?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Got the same GPS Tom and all you need is a Serial-USB connector which should cost you under R200 - last one I bought I got for R120 ish at HiFi Corp.

It should come with a CD with drivers but I think Windows 7 probably has the drivers already - it worked out the box for me in linux and I think for XP had to install drivers from the mini CD and I have hooked one up to W7 so yes its trivial and it works just fine.

If you need help getting it going give me a shout or pop around to The Fig.

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

That reminds me - a month or two ago my (the computer's) mouse went wonky, so I went to the shop to buy a mouse. at the shop i thought I would buy myself a wide screen for my bday. but then the XP could not cope with thge wide screen, so I bought a new computer. but then the scanner could not cope with the new computer, so I bought a laser printer/scanner/copier. I love my new computer with the wide screen and the smart printer, but just a word of warning: you might end up with and emptier pocket, but lots more fun. It might be something to do with the cumulative effect...

That reminds me - a month or two ago my (the computer's) mouse went wonky, so I went to the shop to buy a mouse. at the shop i thought I would buy myself a wide screen for my bday. but then the XP could not cope with thge wide screen, so I bought a new computer. but then the scanner could not cope with the new computer, so I bought a laser printer/scanner/copier. I love my new computer with the wide screen and the smart printer, but just a word of warning: you might end up with and emptier pocket, but lots more fun. It might be something to do with the cumulative effect...

Love it! - didn't you do this a while ago with your Gps? Will watch out for this!

I know its a mute point now, but XP is more than capable of handling a wide screen. It was probably the video drivers that needed to be updated. If it was an on board video card, it is possible it didn't have the range, but an add on card would have sorted that out, for a lot less than a new machine and printer/scanner/copier :)

or you could just try linux - you'd be surprised what it can do it an old machine