Garmin etrex 10/20/30 bugs

I've been having issues recently with my Garmin eTrex 30 losing track data; sometimes recoverable via USB after forcing it to rewrite the exported data by deleting the generated GPX files, sometimes they're just completely gone.

Yesterday I recorded track data going up a mountain then saved the track and cleared it so I could record the rest of the hike separately. I initially gave the saved track data the default timestamp name but decided to rename it, and then when I tried to View On Map the button was unresponsive (it didn't change to Hide On Map) so I power cycled and when I went back into Track Manager it was gone. Couldn't see it from my computer back at home either.

I'd also loaded a bunch of geocaches onto my GPS via ExpertGPS but when out in the field my eTrex 30 said there were no geocaches loaded, yet when I got home and plugged it into my computer via USB I could see the GPX file with all the geocaches right there.Annoying!

Not sure if I actually have the 2.8 update; will check that this evening.

I'm over the digital compass now. Switched to using lithium AA's but doesn't help much. Maybe it's because I usually have the unit upside down in a pouch on my shoulder? Maybe tri-axial isn't as tri-axial as claimed …

I've had the "hey, where did my caches go?" anomaly on my eTrex 30 in the field a couple times. Sometimes I can tell it's gonna do it because it sits at loading waypoints screen for a while. I've been able to recover the caches in the field by simply powering off and powering back on, then they come back. Also noticed my tracks vanish sometimes on the unit but they are still there when I connect USB. Running v2.80 at the moment.

Response from Garmin:

Dear Nathanael,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Australasia Support.

Please perform a master reset. Below is the link for the steps:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={d10af480-1fc5-11e1-73d0-000000000000}

Once master reset completed then proceed onto a software update/reinstallation:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={c6bbc680-f140-11df-ea12-000000000000}

Can't hurt to try I guess. Will be annoying to have to rebuild all my settings — though I think I can back up and put the profiles config back on there.

Edited by NathanaelB

Hmm. No probs with losing data here but the digital compass needs recalibrated sometimes every few minutes. This is well documented in this forum and elsewhere as sticky compass issue.

It happens when I have no magnetic items around just the same, no mobile phones, nothing.

Garmins approach is to tell me I don't have a problem.

Quote garmin:

In terms of the compass whilst there were some issues with this when the units were first released these have long since been resolved in software updates, so assuming that you are running the latest software, you shouldn’t have any issue with this.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.

Just updated to 2.9 following all the instructions. All appeared to go well.

Now I get the message cannot unlock maps and therefore auto-routing doesn't work. <_<

No geocaches or waypoints showed up either, even though they were showing in the file directory while my 30 was plugged in. :blink:

I cleaned everything out and reloaded from GSAK using a macro. Now have those back, but the maps are still locked.

Unless anyone here has an idea how to unlock the maps, I'll call Garmin on Monday. In the meantime, for the cache run tomorrow, I will use my trusty GPSMap 60CSx, the best Garmin I have owned.

Thanks for any assistance.

Yes, Garmin City Navigator. I should have said that.

I think I might have a backup, I'll check. If not, I appreciate the detailed instructions how to get the maps unlocked.

I'll post how it goes. Hope to get to it tonight.

Thanks again.

Hmm. No probs with losing data here but the digital compass needs recalibrated sometimes every few minutes. This is well documented in this forum and elsewhere as sticky compass issue.

It happens when I have no magnetic items around just the same, no mobile phones, nothing.

Garmins approach is to tell me I don't have a problem.

Mine was 90% dud and useless before 2.83 update. Now it's perhaps only 30% useless. (Most often gives the right direction, but it's too easily thrown off and has to be calibrated much too often, i.e. more than once through a battery pack.)

Software improved it big time; but - still not release-level quality

My biggest beef with the eTrex 20 is that the default naming scheme for saved tracks results in a stupid sort order. The track name should be YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, not DD-mmm-YYYY HH:MM:SS. I have not found any way to change this.

Also reacted on that - but even moreso - my 30 does not seem to sort tracks in any sort of alphabetical order or any order at all. They just come randomly. Haven't found an option to sort.

My biggest beef with the eTrex 20 is that the default naming scheme for saved tracks results in a stupid sort order. The track name should be YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, not DD-mmm-YYYY HH:MM:SS. I have not found any way to change this.

No problems noted here, my eTrex 30 with v2.9 saves track filenames like this:

Track_2013-03-05 143725.gpx

No problems noted here, my eTrex 30 with v2.9 saves track filenames like this:

Track_2013-03-05 143725.gpx

I noticed the track naming format changed on my eTrex 30 between 2.80 and 2.90.

Well, version 2.9 for the etrex is out. Ever since the update, I've had some difficulties with it coming up with 'no caches found' when selecting the Geocaches icon. It sees the maps, so I know it's reading the SD card. Power off and on... No caches or waypoints. Off/on again, there they all are.

Well, version 2.9 for the etrex is out. Ever since the update, I've had some difficulties with it coming up with 'no caches found' when selecting the Geocaches icon. It sees the maps, so I know it's reading the SD card. Power off and on... No caches or waypoints. Off/on again, there they all are.

Try this:

Remove the GPX from the card, let the GPS boot up to "clear" the caches

Return the GPX to the card and boot up

Also reading maps does not indicate the card is 100% functional. You may have a bad card that is ok where the maps are but not ok where the GPX is being written.

I store maps and GPX files on a card and have not experienced the problem you report, but I always use the boot blank between cache loads trick

Discovered what we think may be a bug today but we are hoping it's not and someone might have some advice. We were out looking for a cache and had to go off trail. We marked the trail as a waypoint, continued off the trail to the cache. After we found the cache, we wanted to navigate back to the cache. We chose "Where To" and the waypoint we created for the trail and chose "Go." However, it kept bringing up the cache we had just navigated to - although we had stopped the navigation and chosen the waypoint. We tried it over and over several times and it would not display navigation to the waypoint we were trying to chose. We shut it all the way down and back on, stopped the navigation several times but to no avail. Luckily, we weren't too far off trail and we were able to make our way back safely. This experience today was a little disconcerting though. Has anyone else had this issue or have any advice?

Discovered what we think may be a bug today but we are hoping it's not and someone might have some advice. We were out looking for a cache and had to go off trail. We marked the trail as a waypoint, continued off the trail to the cache. After we found the cache, we wanted to navigate back to the cache. We chose "Where To" and the waypoint we created for the trail and chose "Go." However, it kept bringing up the cache we had just navigated to - although we had stopped the navigation and chosen the waypoint. We tried it over and over several times and it would not display navigation to the waypoint we were trying to chose. We shut it all the way down and back on, stopped the navigation several times but to no avail. Luckily, we weren't too far off trail and we were able to make our way back safely. This experience today was a little disconcerting though. Has anyone else had this issue or have any advice?

****navigate back to the trail.

Sorry for the typo!

Were you watching the geocaching dashboard compass instead of using the actual compass application? The Geocaching compass ALWAYS points to the nearest geocache.

Were you watching the geocaching dashboard compass instead of using the actual compass application? The Geocaching compass ALWAYS points to the nearest geocache.

Could you describe in more detail what you mean? Like a step-by-step example? We are quite new to this GPS - just got it! Thanks for any help! :)

Could you describe in more detail what you mean? Like a step-by-step example? We are quite new to this GPS - just got it! Thanks for any help! :)

Unfortunately, I do hot have the exact model you do, so step-by-step detail may not be helpful, from myself.

However, you can check this link to find tons of great information about your GPS and how to use it.

John, does this happen only in the initial start-up after loading new caches, or does it happen randomly at any time you start-up the GPS? The first, while being an inconvenience, is tolerable as that is probably while you are home. The second means it could happen in the field which could be real inconvenient.

Unfortunately, I do hot have the exact model you do, so step-by-step detail may not be helpful, from myself.

However, you can check this link to find tons of great information about your GPS and how to use it.

I do, so let's try this.

Go to Setup Map->Data Fields->Dashboard->Compass

That will switch from Geocaching Dashboard to Compass Dashboard.

John, does this happen only in the initial start-up after loading new caches, or does it happen randomly at any time you start-up the GPS? The first, while being an inconvenience, is tolerable as that is probably while you are home. The second means it could happen in the field which could a bigger problem.

Exactly This:

Try this:

Remove the GPX from the card, let the GPS boot up to "clear" the caches

Return the GPX to the card and boot up

I store maps and GPX files on a card and have not experienced the problem you report, but I always use the boot blank between cache loads trick

THEN add new geocache GPX files.

I do, so let's try this.

Go to Setup Map->Data Fields->Dashboard->Compass

That will switch from Geocaching Dashboard to Compass Dashboard.

Just tried this and sure enough that works! Thanks so much! Never would've guessed this :)

Trying to pull the latest firmware but webUpdater has decided to just sit there and "gather information" for hours.

In the end, had to load an Incognito browser instance (same as clearing Garmin cookies) and clicked No to sharing product info with Garmin for improvement etc.

Edited by NathanaelB

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I am just doing something wrong.

I have an E Trex20 and use it for geocaching. I am after some help with waypoints. If I save a GPX file with cache info on it I have no problems locating co-ords. The problem is two-fold, firstly if I manualy put in co-ordinates and then choose to navigate to them the E Trex will send me to the nearest cache that is loaded in. Secondly if I am out and trying to mark waypoints, I name them and when I look at them later and get the saved info to transfer online then the possition is wrong. I have checked this by going arround my village to spots easy to find on maps. Any one know why?

Hi,

I have an E Trex20 and use it for geocaching. I am after some help with waypoints. If I save a GPX file with cache info on it I have no problems locating co-ords. The problem is two-fold, firstly if I manualy put in co-ordinates and then choose to navigate to them the E Trex will send me to the nearest cache that is loaded in.

Sounds like you are looking at the Geocaching Dashboard, which ALWAYS points to the nearest geocache.

Try using the Compass, or change the dashboard to something else, like the standard Compass dashboard, for example.

Secondly if I am out and trying to mark waypoints, I name them and when I look at them later and get the saved info to transfer online then the possition is wrong. I have checked this by going arround my village to spots easy to find on maps. Any one know why?

No idea without seeing your GPX files. How 'wrong' are they?

Hi,

I have an E Trex20 and use it for geocaching. I am after some help with waypoints. If I save a GPX file with cache info on it I have no problems locating co-ords. The problem is two-fold, firstly if I manualy put in co-ordinates and then choose to navigate to them the E Trex will send me to the nearest cache that is loaded in.

Sounds like you are looking at the Geocaching Dashboard, which ALWAYS points to the nearest geocache.

Try using the Compass, or change the dashboard to something else, like the standard Compass dashboard, for example.

Secondly if I am out and trying to mark waypoints, I name them and when I look at them later and get the saved info to transfer online then the possition is wrong. I have checked this by going arround my village to spots easy to find on maps. Any one know why?

Hi,

Hi, his an example.

A local cache to me has the co ords N** 42.955 W*** 23.709. If I enter these ion my Garmin they send me to a point I have looked up as N** 43.063 W*** 23.940

Hi,

Hi, his an example.

A local cache to me has the co ords N** 42.955 W*** 23.709. If I enter these ion my Garmin they send me to a point I have looked up as N** 43.063 W*** 23.940

Verify that your datum is set to WGS 84. (Setup > Position Format)

When moving to a waypoint with my eTrex 10, the distance to the waypoint doesn't decrease, even though we are moving in the right direction. We were going to go geocaching today, but this issue (and the rain) stopped us.

At what distance from the WP did you notice this happening? What firmware version are you running on the unit?

Edited by GeoTrekker26

When moving to a waypoint with my eTrex 10, the distance to the waypoint doesn't decrease, even though we are moving in the right direction. We were going to go geocaching today, but this issue (and the rain) stopped us.

At what distance from the WP did you notice this happening?

We noticed it at 0.18 miles from it.

Good afternoon to all! I want to buy a GPS Garmin eTrex 30.

Can anyone tell me if the information on this site caches geocaching, gps passes for all, including the tip desincriptada, images, texts, various coordinates, etc.. Thank you for your help. greetings

Good afternoon to all! I want to buy a GPS Garmin eTrex 30.

Can anyone tell me if the information on this site caches geocaching, gps passes for all, including the tip desincriptada, images, texts, various coordinates, etc.. Thank you for your help. greetings