Are bison tubes good submersibles?

ohmelli

A GENUINE Bison tube, with a properly sized silicone o-ring might do OK for a while, as would one of the larger cryo-tubes (with a screw-on cap that has a silicone seal).

The problem (as always) is going to be repeated open/close cycles, and the eventual debris that will get stuck in the seal and cause a leak.

Stock up on o-rings and change them out monthly or so (maybe every five finds?).

Agreeing on the brand name Bison tube as possibly working.

I don't think the "replace o ring" thing is the ticket, I think it's "clean the threads" instead...

I wouldn't try to do a micro/small underwater cache this way at all.

If you're happy with a log only cache, use a small divers slate, and don't bother with a water-tight container. You could contain that slate in any plastic container, deliberately putting holes in it, so it's neutrally buoyant, and provides a point for tethering.

Hm... Never heard of a diver's slate. I'll have to google that. I'm going to give the bison tube a try and if it doesn't work out, I'll have to come up with something else... Right now the tube is perfect for the critter I've got it hiding in! LOL! I'm not "too" concerned about grit and grime... but I am concerned about the water leaking in... even though the log is "write in the rain", I'm not sure it can stand up to complete saturation! :laughing: Thanks for the tips!!!

Any container designed to keep liquids in will also keep liquids out. The determining factor for if the cache stay dry or not is the cachers themselves. If a lid is place on too loosely and in some cases too tightly then they can leak.

Any container designed to keep liquids in will also keep liquids out. The determining factor for if the cache stay dry or not is the cachers themselves. If a lid is place on too loosely and in some cases too tightly then they can leak.

Good point. And if we can't get cachers to properly close a lock-n-lock we probably can't give lessons in putting logs inside the CAP and then inserting in the tube... OR screwing lids "just so"... :laughing: