Best GPS for a beginner?

JAliMichael

I am looking to buy a GPSr, because the Android app drains my battery (DROIDX). I look at all these caching sites, and the devices go from $120 to $500. I want something basic, but extremely accurate with maybe a few perks. What do you think of the Magellan eXplorist GC?

Go for the magellan explorist GC. I have one and I like it. Easy to use and not to much $$$. Maybe if you like the game in a year or so you can get one with more features such as road navigation, turn by turn directions, more memory, even camera's built in, it all depends on what you want, but start with the one you mentioned.

Does your phone have a 3 axis compass? (the arrow points you in the direction to walk to)

The Explorist GC does not have a 3 axis compass.

If you're used to having a 3 axis compass capability, then you'll miss having it when you use the GC.

My husband and I started with the iphones. We bought an Explorist and hated it.....because it didn't have the 3 axis compass. We ended up selling it after 1 week of usage.

Just something to think about.....

I am looking to buy a GPSr, because the Android app drains my battery (DROIDX). I look at all these caching sites, and the devices go from $120 to $500. I want something basic, but extremely accurate with maybe a few perks. What do you think of the Magellan eXplorist GC?

eXplorist GC Rocks! I would recommend it. Easy to use and read :)

Think you should ask yourself whether you need a GPS or not. I wouldn't use accuracy as an argument - I recently bought a Dakota 20, and overall it's more or less on par with the iPhone 4s for accuracy. If you can get within 5-10 meters, then you can probably work out where the cache is. Also remember that the original coordinates in the cache page may not be very accurate either - so a GPS may make no difference. For me the only advantages of a GPS unit are: waterproof, can change the batteries in the field.

It sounds like battery life is an issue for you, so you could buy a GPS for that reason. However an alternative is to buy a rechargeable battery pack for your phone, such as a "Veho VCC-A007-PBP / Pebble Portable 5000mah Battery Pack" and use that. I have one and it can recharge my iPhone 5 times in the field, and was 10% of the cost of the Dakota.

So have a think first. If you want it purely for battery - then I wouldn't bother :)

My phone has it, and I tried using it but it's super glitchy. The map function is what I use mostly. Would you recommend the compass capability?

I'm not familiar with the droid platform.... but when you're navigating to a cache (on the map), do you use TRACK UP?? (with the iphone app, you can turn it OFF or ON).

I'm directionally challenged and I always use it TRACK UP (which essentially, is function of a 3 axis compass). It points me where I need to walk. So, for me....this functionality is a much needed necessity.

You may or may not need it.... But just think of it this way... If you buy an Explorist (or other units) and you don't like it, you can always sell it and buy something else. Search around for a used unit or price shop for a new one. The Explorist we owned (for one week) sold at the same price we bought it for.

No harm no foul....

My phone has it, and I tried using it but it's super glitchy. The map function is what I use mostly. Would you recommend the compass capability?

I'm not familiar with the droid platform.... but when you're navigating to a cache (on the map), do you use TRACK UP?? (with the iphone app, you can turn it OFF or ON).

I'm directionally challenged and I always use it TRACK UP (which essentially, is function of a 3 axis compass). It points me where I need to walk. So, for me....this functionality is a much needed necessity.

You may or may not need it.... But just think of it this way... If you buy an Explorist (or other units) and you don't like it, you can always sell it and buy something else. Search around for a used unit or price shop for a new one. The Explorist we owned (for one week) sold at the same price we bought it for.

No harm no foul....

I'm beginning to forumlate the threory that the electronic compasses are garbage on all HTC phones. I have a windowsphone, and I know a couple people with HTC Droids who say they're all eratic like mine. Is this particular Droid and HTC manufactured phone?

Man, I've had several lower end units over nine years, and have never had one with an electronic compass. I even have a GC I received as a gift. They work brilliantly as far as I'm concerned, and the whole "you have to be moving" thing never bothered me.

I almost remember you starting a thread about how much you hated the GC, and got rid of it in a couple days, although that could have been someone else. :)