Buying from China

Hey caching buddies. I am looking to buy a Garmin Oregon 450. I haven't found any really good deals on them until now and it happens to come from a place in China/Hongkong. www.over-wholesale.com. $211.00 plus free shipping, factory sealed, etc.... Would you trust this or no? I would consider buying used if I could find a decent one for the right price. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

nsnoekums

Nancy Snoek

Michigan

Hey caching buddies. I am looking to buy a Garmin Oregon 450. I haven't found any really good deals on them until now and it happens to come from a place in China/Hongkong. www.over-wholesale.com. $211.00 plus free shipping, factory sealed, etc.... Would you trust this or no? I would consider buying used if I could find a decent one for the right price. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

nsnoekums

Nancy Snoek

Michigan

I checked the listing and no mention is made of which countries basemap is included. Given the variety of models and the pricing, I would guess these are NOT counterfits. You can probably email them questions about the item, however, good luck trying to get a clear answer in english. Also, if you order this item and it is sent to you, there is a chance US customs will charge you an import duty.

Moral of the story...wait for them to go on sale here in the US

nsnoekums

Nancy Snoek

Michigan

The potential upside - you get a unit much cheaper than it "should" be.

The potential downsides - you get stung for import duties when it arrives in the US. You get a unit that doesn't work and have to return it (at your expense) for warranty service, then get to spend unknown amounts of time chasing them asking how much longer it will be.

If you're looking to save money because you don't have the full price of the unit in the US, what would it mean to you if you do pay these people $211, then pay import duties, and end up writing off the money because you get a dud unit? Personally I'd be more inclined to watch ebay and look for something sufficiently local that you can go and see it in person so you know it works.

Issues like the basemap are small by comparison - the basemap contains so little detail it really serves no useful purpose.

I'd recommend using Google Chrome as your browser, and adding the "Web Of Trust" extension, which gives you all kinds of instant feedback about every site you want to visit. The site you mention has a very poor rating. Here's a comment from WOT:

VAT. If you see low price brand items you will get scammed.

The way it works is:

1. You send the money (usually via Western Union)

2. You get informed there is problem (usually customs etc.)

3. Problem can be fixed for more money (another 10-20%)

4. After payment, there is yet another problem...

This will repeat until you realize that you got scammed.

Or for phones you get 'lookalikes' of iPhone or Nokia models of poor quality with far less functions. "

0 0