Geocaching Fiction

That is so funny that this thread was bumped today. I almost came looking for it myself to say that I started reading Cached Out and I am loving it! I would not have known about it if not for this thread. I like that it takes place near where I live so I am familiar with the locations. I thought about looking at caches in those places just to fully experience the book, LOL. Course, I don't want to find the things that were found in the book.

I was almost tempted to try a puzzle cache too, but at this point, they are over my head :unsure:

I really appreciate the support I've gotten from the geocaching community (of which I am a part) for Cached Out, and for mentioning my newest book, Fatal Dose, here but I want to let people know that Fatal Dose is not a geocaching novel per se, the way Cached Out is. Both are murder mysteries featuring the same main character, Cliff Knowles, a retired FBI agent and geocacher. In Cached Out geocaching is a big part of the plot line, whereas in Fatal Dose there is a good geocaching scene and the sport turns up in a few other places, but the book is more of a legal/medical thriller with geocaching incidental to it. If you are really looking for a geocaching novel, start with Cached Out. If you like the style and Cliff Knowles character, then by all means, go for Fatal Dose. There's also a first book in the series, Held for Ransom, but that takes place in the 1990s, pre-geocaching. Several geocachers at the recent EarthCache Mega in Utah, where I was selling autographed copies of my books, bought that one just to get the history of the character or because they enjoyed the style (or so they said).

Edited by The Rat

The latest Cliff Knowles novel Death Row qualifies as geocaching fiction. Chronologically the story follows Fatal Dose, but the story line connects heavily to Cached Out. Here's the summary from Amazon:

When a court ruling once again halts the carrying out of the death sentences of hundreds of condemned murderers, a frustrated vigilante organization decides to take matters into its own hands. In a mysterious and grisly act of horror, San Quentin's entire population of condemned prisoners is executed in the dark of night. But how? And who are these vigilantes? Answering those questions falls to retired FBI agent Cliff Knowles, now a successful lawyer. His lover, Special Agent Ellen Kennedy, is intent on completing a geocaching challenge known as the Fizzy Challenge, but inadvertently turns Cliff into suspect number one by going for one cache too many. She has no doubt Cliff is innocent, but he's kept a secret from her. He's kept a secret from everyone – and he knows that her faith in him is misplaced. His only chance of keeping Ellen in his life, perhaps even of staying off death row himself, is to get to the critical evidence before the FBI does.

I just read the first chapter of Death Row and I am hooked already! :D

The book begins with a couple of cachers looking for a 4.5/5 cache and everything about the hunt, including the cachers, is totally believable! I enjoyed Cached Out a lot, but I think this one is going to be even better.

I downloaded it to my Kindle from Amazon.

I read Code: a Virals Novel, not too long ago. It was good, but I was disappointed with the geocaching parts, actually. They had the geocache buried and had to find it with a metal detector and a shovel. I was even thinking of trying to contact the authors to point out the inaccuracies, but it's not like they will probably change the story now.

I read Code: a Virals Novel, not too long ago. It was good, but I was disappointed with the geocaching parts, actually. They had the geocache buried and had to find it with a metal detector and a shovel. I was even thinking of trying to contact the authors to point out the inaccuracies, but it's not like they will probably change the story now.

When readers have contacted me about typos I have fixed them. It is now quick and easy to fix small things like that in ebooks and even print books (since they are now print-on-demand). Just upload a new file, although it can take a few days for the process to work its way through the system. Changing something more substantial isn't always practical. For starters, the author may have a certain dramatic purpose in mind that isn't accurate in real life. For example, in the opening scene of Death Row I have the characters going for a fictional ammo can cache under a ferry landing, kayaking in. One of my beta readers pointed out that the CO would probably have used PVC or other material since a metal ammo can would rust there. Perhaps so, but I wanted something that could be opened and closed quickly with a single motion because the tide was coming in rapidly and trapping them. Almost all mystery novels involving the cops or FBI have them working with partners, but I'm a retired FBI agent and can attest that in reality that isn't typical in real life. However, I do the same thing in my books because it is so much easier to develop the character through personal interaction and dialogue, and of course there's usually a romantic story line going too. In other words, the story line takes precedence over reality. I have a long thread in Goodreads called FBI Myths that explores this. As a practical matter, you can't reprint books cheaply and even for print on demand books, if you change the number of pages it may require a new cover since the spine thickness changes. This could mean paying the artist again unless the author also has the right graphics software and knowledge.

• Upvote 1

It's here! Cliff Knowles is back! Ten geocachers are invited to an exclusive all-expense paid adventure on a private island owned by the controversial new owner of the geocaching company. What could possibly go wrong? Geocaches that are death traps. A ferocious storm. A body. A murder? Some adventures can be too thrilling, as Cliff Knowles learns once again. This one has LOTS of geocaching in it!

CliffhangerSmall.jpg

30 minutes ago, The Rat said:

It's here! Cliff Knowles is back! Ten geocachers are invited to an exclusive all-expense paid adventure on a private island owned by the controversial new owner of the geocaching company. What could possibly go wrong? Geocaches that are death traps. A ferocious storm. A body. A murder? Some adventures can be too thrilling, as Cliff Knowles learns once again. This one has LOTS of geocaching in it!

CliffhangerSmall.jpg

Ooh, that looks like a fun story!  Amazon says this is Book 8. Do I need to read them in order?

Edited by Max and 99

Finished this book while I was on a vacation trip, and of course there was geocaching on my trip.  This was a fun read with a few twists and lots of geocaching.  (Some other Cliff Knowles books had geocaching as a side activity, whereas this one it is primary to the story).  Thanks for the book!!!   Favorite Point given :)

• Upvote 1