Geocaching Fiction

I let my FTF mag subscription slide but the last issue I recieve had one of nanncyan's stories in it. I read it fully after a local cacher created a Wherigo based on the story. It was suggested I read the story for similarities about another cacher. Though I saw some, it was no different then how readers compare their live's to stories. I liked the story so much I contacted the author and found out the more about the story. I may just renew my subscription just to see if he writes more stories.

After I published my novel, I was amazed to find how many others there were. Most, like mine, involve a geocacher finding a body, a skeleton, or body part. I have compiled a list but I am pretty sure it is not complete. No doubt they don't all have close ties to geocaching. Some are for kids or teens, and at least one is a romance and one is sci-fi, but most are more or less traditional mysteries.

Cached Out by Russell Atkinson

Caching In by Deb Jacobson

First to Find by Mark Gessner

Serial Finder by David Klug (icecreamman)

The Box That Watch Found by Gertrude Walker Chandler

Ben and the Geocache Treasure by Heather Gregory

Rainbow's End by Valerie Comer et al.

Coordinates for Murder by Darren Kirby

Geocache Surprise by Jake Maddox

Code: A Virals Novel by Kathy and Brendan Reichs

The Geocache Killer by Julian Flood

HIDDEN AWAY by Phyllis J. Perry

Abomination by Colleen Coble

Waypoint: Cache Quest Oregon by Shauna Shober

Why Casey Had to Die by L.C. Hayden

The Gorry Brothers: First Leap by Eve McGuire

Geocache by Errol Bader

Waypoint Alaska by Shauna Shober

The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer

Cell-out by Peter Armstrong

Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach

Hide and Seek by Katy Grant

Spiral by Paul McKuen

I just found out that another geocacher has written a murder mystery titled First to Find with a subtitle Book #1 in the Caching Out series. I welcome her to the fold of books here, but I do think the title and subtitle could cause confusion with books already listed here, including mine, since Cached Out sounds like it's part of a Caching Out series and mine is already listed as part of a series (Cliff Knowles Mysteries). Both have skulls on the cover. I have asked her publisher to consider changing the subtitle. Her book is scheduled to come out around Halloween and I've already done some promotion that is Halloween-related, too. So far everything is on a friendly basis and I want to keep it that way. There is room for everyone in this novel space, but it would not be geocacher-like to try to horn in on someone else's established series. Maybe if I (or you) post links to my Cached Out page using the words Caching Out instead of Cached Out or to the Amazon.com page: Caching Out that will make it ineffective to use that term for another book, if search engines work as I expect they do. I tried to contact Mark Gessner (lowracer) to let him know about his title overlap but I was unable to find an email for him. Apparently that geoname is not in active use. If anyone knows him, you might want to let him know, or put him in contact with me.

After I published my novel, I was amazed to find how many others there were. Most, like mine, involve a geocacher finding a body, a skeleton, or body part. I have compiled a list but I am pretty sure it is not complete. No doubt they don't all have close ties to geocaching. Some are for kids or teens, and at least one is a romance and one is sci-fi, but most are more or less traditional mysteries.

Cached Out by Russell Atkinson

Caching In by Deb Jacobson

First to Find by Mark Gessner

Serial Finder by David Klug (icecreamman)

The Box That Watch Found by Gertrude Walker Chandler

Ben and the Geocache Treasure by Heather Gregory

Rainbow's End by Valerie Comer et al.

Coordinates for Murder by Darren Kirby

Code: A Virals Novel by Kathy and Brendan Reichs

The Geocache Killer by Julian Flood

HIDDEN AWAY by Phyllis J. Perry

Abomination by Colleen Coble

Waypoint: Cache Quest Oregon by Shauna Shober

Why Casey Had to Die by L.C. Hayden

The Gorry Brothers: First Leap by Eve McGuire

Geocache by Errol Bader

Waypoint Alaska by Shauna Shober

The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer

Cell-out by Peter Armstrong

Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach

Hide and Seek by Katy Grant

Spiral by Paul McKuen

I have read 3 of the books on the list. All are murder mysteries.

Serial Cacher: Very good. And it is available for free on a geocaching online magazine. I found the plot moved along really well. And at the end, it kept me thinking, trying to solve the mystery.

Cell-Out: Bad. I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading that book (or my $0.99 either). I reviewed it on the other similar thread. You can google that review if you want a more though review. The book really doesn't warrant my time to type it out again.

Cached Out: Very good. Very worth the $2.50 (or whatever it was) on that one. The plot kept me hooked. The broad spectrum of characters was great. And left off with a hook for a sequel. I will buy that one if there is one (The Rat, any plans for that?).

I may check out some of the others, but right now I am deep in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle (is Jack ever going to get back together with Eliza?).

Cached Out: Very good. Very worth the $2.50 (or whatever it was) on that one. The plot kept me hooked. The broad spectrum of characters was great. And left off with a hook for a sequel. I will buy that one if there is one (The Rat, any plans for that?).

Thanks for the kind words, Andronicus. I'm glad you enjoyed it. In order not to mislead, though, the price is $4.25. Amazon set the minimum price above $2.50. As for the sequel, I do have some ideas for another book, but I haven't started one. The dates on my first two (Held for Ransom pub. 11/2011, Cached Out pub. 10/2012) may make it look like I can write a novel a year, but I actually wrote Held for Ransom in in 2001 then set it aside when I couldn't get it published by a mainstream publisher and I began Cached Out in 2007 when I retired but worked on that off and on since. The first book does not involve geocaching, but I did later create a multi-cache called Ransom that followed the end plot of that book. It was quite popular, but I had to archive it when the area of the cache got designated as a fragile ecosystem area and banned foot traffic. I actually have ideas for two sequels, one involving the "hook" you mention, one based on a case I worked in the FBI. Don't expect either one any time soon.

What??!? $4.25 and not $2.50? What an outrage!!

Just kidding, of course. I pay more than that in library fines every month. I just purchased Cached Out and can't wait to get started.

I think this thread should be pinned, not only for the resources but for the reviews by geocachers on geocaching fiction.

Here's four more:

Cache of Corpses by Henry Kisor

First to Find by Morgan Talbot

First to Find by John Taskett

That makes 3 different First to Find titles. Titles can't be copyrighted. Morgan Talbot is a geocacher in eastern Washington, I believe. Her novel seems geared mainly to women as a "cozy" mystery. At least that's what most of the other titles from that publisher are.

Just published my review of CACHED OUT:

http://geocachecreation.com/geocaching-books-cached-out-by-russell-atkinson/

Great book! Was surprised there are other geocaching fiction books out there! I thought this was a first.

Good review, except that you wrote:

The book begins with Cliff Knowles geocaching in a Southern California state park.

All the caches that were found and most of the story took place in the hills around Santa Clara valley, mostly in the Santa Cruz mountains. That's all considered part of northern California. One of the things I really enjoyed about the book is that lived in the area for 35 years and have been to almost all of the locations mentioned in the book. I think I've even been in the bar at the "Pruneyard" (a shopping center in Campbell) where an important meeting took place.

Just read the first few chapters of "Cached Out." Really enjoying it but this dang storm has interfered with my reading time. :mad:

I love detective mysteries and this one is right up there with the best. Add to this that the author truly KNOWS how to write about geocaching and you've got a winner! he describes geocaching hunts the way I would if I had that kind of writing skill.

I still think this thread should be pinned.

Just read the first few chapters of "Cached Out." Really enjoying it but this dang storm has interfered with my reading time. :mad:

12th day with no power here in Long Island, so I have to go out of my way to charge my Kindle.

I'm only up to chapter 8, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Now I know why I can't solve mystery caches! I wouln't have known where to begin on the ones in the book! :huh:

Now I know why I can't solve mystery caches! I wouln't have known where to begin on the ones in the book! :huh:
I haven't read the book yet (sorry, Russ), but the author is the owner of some of the best puzzle caches in this area. And there are a lot of great puzzlers around here.

My book Cached Out has had very healthy sales all of a sudden, and most of them, oddly, are paperbacks rather than the usual Kindle. Maybe it's not so odd. I think they may be Christmas gifts bought for geocachers or cipher/code/puzzle fans. If you're one of the gift book buyers, thank you, and for the local folks, if you'd like me to autograph the book I'd be happy to do it if you bring it to my house or if we're both at an event. Contact me offline through geocaching.com. I would have only posted this on the local forum (thegba.net) but that site is down and has been for over a week, so maybe some of the local (Bay Area) folks will notice this post here.

On another note, I've been enjoying reading the cache pages of some of your published mystery caches. There is one in particular that is maddeningly funny. Easily the hardest puzzle I've tried to solve.Okay, this last part may be confusing but I think I've made myself clear. right?

You are too kind.

For those looking for the paperback version of my book Cached Out, I just uploaded an edited version. I fixed a few typos and changed the format slightly (slightly narrower margins, etc.) so that it is shorter in the number of pages, but the content is the same as before, and so is the price. You may get a message on Amazon that the book is not available - out of print. They just delete the old version then the new version has to go through an approval process. It should be back there in 24 hours or so. Just give it another try in a day or two.

Article #300 published!

Three hundred geocaching stories written by geocachers and published free and ad-free in The Online Geocacher solely for the enjoyment of other geocachers.

As the Owner and Publisher of The Online Geocacher I continue to enjoy your stories, but know that there are many great stories which are not being shared. Share them! Your fellow geocachers want to read them!

Thanks to the great cachers who have shared these first three hundred and I look forward to reading many more.

Ed,

Publisher, The Online Geocacher

http://onlinegeocacher.com/

TheOnlineGeocacher@gmail.com

Just published my review of CACHED OUT:

http://geocachecreation.com/geocaching-books-cached-out-by-russell-atkinson/

Great book! Was surprised there are other geocaching fiction books out there! I thought this was a first.

Good review, except that you wrote:

The book begins with Cliff Knowles geocaching in a Southern California state park.

All the caches that were found and most of the story took place in the hills around Santa Clara valley, mostly in the Santa Cruz mountains. That's all considered part of northern California. One of the things I really enjoyed about the book is that lived in the area for 35 years and have been to almost all of the locations mentioned in the book. I think I've even been in the bar at the "Pruneyard" (a shopping center in Campbell) where an important meeting took place.

Arg! I should check these things often...have to make a correction.....

Oh, I finished Cached Out a month or more ago, and I loved it.

I would like to create a set of puzzles like the set in the book, if you think that is cool.

I would also be interested in the trading cards -- I could leave them in the caches?

I'm glad you liked it. If you want to use the puzzles from the book, go for it. I have no problem with that. I'll confirm by private email.

I just got finished reading Held for Ransom on my Kindle. Today I got Cached out. Both were my free rentals with Amazon Prime. I don't know if anybody makes any money on free rentals but I have to do everything I can to justify Amazon prime. I did enjoy Held for Ransom and am looking forward to Cached out.

I'm reading "Cached Out" right now on my kindle, and WOW is it good!

When I first read through this post, I thought all of these books would be from amateur, novice "authors", but this book certainly isn't. I can definitely say it is one of the best books I have ever read! :lol::D

Now I want to go find some puzzle caches...who knows what I'll find...;)

I have enjoyed the first two books in the Cliff Knowles series.

Hope the next one is still coming soon!

Hey, Rat...PLEASE write the sequel to Cached Out soon! It left me wanting so much more!!!

What a sweetie you are. I am working on a sequel, although the geocaching content will be lighter. Don't expect anything for at least six months.

Hey, Rat...PLEASE write the sequel to Cached Out soon! It left me wanting so much more!!!

What a sweetie you are. I am working on a sequel, although the geocaching content will be lighter. Don't expect anything for at least six months.

For the answer to that, see my blog: OnWords

For the answer to that, see my blog: OnWords

Very clever! And I'm looking forward to your next book.

--Larry

I have just finished reading a geocaching novel by Richard Hale, entitled Cache 72. A month or so ago I read Cached Out by Russell Atkinson. I read both using the Kindle app on my Nexus 7 tablet.

This is what my English teachers would have called a Contrast & Compare.

Both novels involve geocaching, of course. Serial Cacher is set in the region around San Jose CA, Cache 72 is a tour of many interesting parts of Florida. The primary cacher and investigator in both are former law enforcement officers.

Cached out was my first venture into geocaching fiction. It set a standard that I think may be difficult to beat. One of the interesting and very strong aspects of the book was the way in which different law enforcement agencies and their field officers have not only different and sometimes overlapping jurisdictions but varying strengths and weaknesses. That's one reason why they sometimes need to work together, but also to some extent is a source of friction, conflict. Atkinson does a very good job of portraying all the characters and their motivations and opinions of each other. This was a treat. On top of that, he provided a very convincing reason for some of the field agents to do a credible fast learning curve on geocaching: they had to establish cover and mingle with real cachers at meets, and in particular draw out an elusive cache owner by becoming the FTF on one of his caches.

And the protagonist is for quite a while considered a suspect himself, even as he acts as the subject matter expert for geocaching to support the agencies investigating a series of murders.

While Atkinson has acknowledged that many geocaching fiction stories revolve around murder, Cache 72 is interesting because the first crime coming to the attention of our protagonist is a kidnapping. Ultimately a number of other related crimes, including some murders, come to light. The bad guy is quite prolific in Cache 72,, and the book is definitely a thriller, with the good guys fighting not only the twisted sequence of caches set by the bad guy across Florida but also massive fatigue, injuries and a variety of other challenges.

Cache 72 has a somewhat different take on the relationships and frictions among agencies. Basically, few officers take the protagonist seriously, at least until secure recordings of surveillance camera streams start vanishing and bombs start going off. One reason for this lack of cooperation becomes obvious during the final plot twists, and I am not going to tell you why here because it would spoil the read, but the protagonist gets help from almost nobody except his wife, who is a former FBI agent and no slouch on the investigation side, a Florida wildlife officer, who is also no slouch, and a cacher who is a legendary find-everything guy in his part of Florida, along with the cacher's girlfriend. All of these players are portrayed in some detail.

Still, for characterization and also for the agency procedural points, including management strengths as well as weaknesses, I think Atkinson stands out. He deftly brings to life a very impressive range of characters. Hall realistically paints his protagonist, an ex-cop investigator, as understanding certain shortcomings of the law enforcement agencies he must deal with, and he is no diplomat, so he wastes no time antagonizing the officers who might otherwise be willing to help. But the recipients of that treatment are little more than cardboard reactors, we learn almost nothing about their thinking.

Prior work experience may play a role here. Atkinson has FBI experience, and I would bet he worked cases in cooperation with state and local agencies. Hall has experience in many career paths but not law enforcement.

I would definitely pay money to read a sequel from Atkinson. I am not quite so eager for a sequel from Hall. Cache 72 was a good read and, in my distant past, I have visited many of the Florida communities depicted, so part of the charm for me was wondering if the story would visit Florida neighborhoods I can recall. His other novel involving the same protagonist is set much earlier in the character's life, long before he began caching. It may well be set in my home community, but that alone would not cause me to part with money for the Kindle edition.