[FEATURE] 'Field Puzzle' Type

Mallah

There is a bit of a debate on one of my caches which started out as a Multi but was changed to Traditional during its review. It is in many ways a Field Puzzle and has the attribute accordingly, however visitors are thinking it should be a Multi even though there is no need to discover the final co ordinates. Presumably cachers are not taking note of attributes - have to admit I don't myself especially as they do not appear whilst out in the field on my GPSr.

So, is there scope for a new or additional cache type of 'Field Puzzle' ?

There is a bit of a debate on one of my caches which started out as a Multi but was changed to Traditional during its review. It is in many ways a Field Puzzle and has the attribute accordingly, however visitors are thinking it should be a Multi even though there is no need to discover the final co ordinates. Presumably cachers are not taking note of attributes - have to admit I don't myself especially as they do not appear whilst out in the field on my GPSr.

I don't think we need another cache type, just a way to quickly identify the type of puzzle.

On one hand the attribute was created to provide that extra information. As you point out it does not make it to the user in the field for several reasons. Non paperless GPSrs only get GC#, coordinates,(mine gets a limited amount of Name or text) so you are not going to see that for a downloaded cache. Paperless devices get more information depending on what type you have. I gather that the newer ones can get the whole page. Wireless devices can see / download the whole thing live. So how to deal with it?

I pick by hand, so I would just edit the textual name/data to show FP after the GC or Before Name. That would work for all I think, so perhaps simply adding that to the title field on a cache page would work... like this GC# FP Unknown Cachename. That would show up on my map60cx. Also controllable NOW by the CO. Many use a shorthand in the text area to give details after downloading and editing for field use. I also still use a paper notebook with a much condensed set of information.

For fancier rigs, nothing stops a CO from putting copies of his selected attribute symbols in the Early part of the description area and even details for things like Hazards, Hours of operation etc. Regardless of this being automated in the future, it could be done now. If images of the attributes don't work the Initials of the attribute name could be placed there. That would be both printable and available to wireless. When I need such information (not often) I make a screenshot and store that in my camera where I can see it. Not perfect for me, but a cheap camera is handy in many ways. I've been considering a digital picture frame as well as they seem to be cheap and hold lots of pictures... but I'm thinking a cheap tablet might be the best way. Some have wifi connect ability as well.

I find that too many have given up on actually reading cache pages, and the dark side of me says that they get what they deserve.

No effort, no cache. However when I go out research or not, I know that I did it that way and the onus is on me as long as the CO met the requirements properly, my failings are not the same thing, disappointing sometimes yes but not their fault.

Doug 7rxc

I'm confused. I'm looking at the cache in question, and it says you need to acquire information at 4 different spots, but it doesn't say what this information is for. If the container is at the posted coordinates, is it some kind of puzzle container that needs a code or something to open it? If so, I'd call this a puzzle cache. If not, then I'd say it's correctly listed as a traditional, but I'd wonder what all that information was for. I suspect the confusion about how the cache works is why the reviewer changed the cache type.

As for your question, to me, by definition, a "field puzzle" is a puzzle/mystery/unknown type.

I'm confused. I'm looking at the cache in question, and it says you need to acquire information at 4 different spots, but it doesn't say what this information is for. If the container is at the posted coordinates, is it some kind of puzzle container that needs a code or something to open it? If so, I'd call this a puzzle cache. If not, then I'd say it's correctly listed as a traditional, but I'd wonder what all that information was for. I suspect the confusion about how the cache works is why the reviewer changed the cache type.

As for your question, to me, by definition, a "field puzzle" is a puzzle/mystery/unknown type.

The answer to your puzzlement is in the previous cache, so you have to visit that first. It does indeed tick the boxes for puzzle/mystery/unknown so I guess Traditional is a compromise that it is not either?

So the debate continues!

The answer to your puzzlement is in the previous cache, so you have to visit that first. It does indeed tick the boxes for puzzle/mystery/unknown so I guess Traditional is a compromise that it is not either?

No, traditional isn't a compromise. Puzzle/mystery/unknown is the catch-all type. If a cache doesn't fit in any of the other cache types, it falls under this type. Is your cache at the posted coordinates and can be opened/retrieved/located without any additional information/tools? You've already said the answer to the first is yes, but if the answer to the last is "no" (which it sounds like it is), then it is most definitely not a traditional. If it also isn't a multi, it should be a puzzle. Unfortunately, now that people have logged finds on it, I don't think TPTB will change the type, which will mean the confusion will continue. Don't be surprised to get some nasty/disappointed/sad logs and messages from cachers who went to GZ expecting to find a traditional cache. There's an old cache near me in a similar situation (puzzle listed as a traditional), and there have been many such logs.

The problem that I see with this suggestion is that there are a *lot* of field puzzle caches out there now that are not going to have the cache type changed and adding a new cache type for field puzzles would just cause a lot of confusion. I just can't see how the creation of a new cache type for something that already exists would be feasible without causing a lot of confusion.

No, traditional isn't a compromise. Puzzle/mystery/unknown is the catch-all type. If a cache doesn't fit in any of the other cache types, it falls under this type. Is your cache at the posted coordinates and can be opened/retrieved/located without any additional information/tools? You've already said the answer to the first is yes, but if the answer to the last is "no" (which it sounds like it is), then it is most definitely not a traditional. If it also isn't a multi, it should be a puzzle. Unfortunately, now that people have logged finds on it, I don't think TPTB will change the type, which will mean the confusion will continue. Don't be surprised to get some nasty/disappointed/sad logs and messages from cachers who went to GZ expecting to find a traditional cache. There's an old cache near me in a similar situation (puzzle listed as a traditional), and there have been many such logs.

I did consider the 'Puzzle Type' option, however GCs definition includes:

"This form of geocache may involve complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates."

As this one doesn't require you to determine the co ords then it didn't 'fit' into that category either, just like the 'Multi' option? I take your point about the risk of negative logs, however that would be the same with 'Puzzle'. Hopefully people will read the descriptions, as people appear to be doing already. So far nothing but happy cachers who have enjoyed the unique 'twist'.

I did consider the 'Puzzle Type' option, however GCs definition includes:

"This form of geocache may involve complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve to determine the coordinates."

But that line starts with:

The "catch-all" of cache types, ...

I can provide numerous examples of puzzles that are at the posted coordinates. There's no requirement for a puzzle cache to NOT be at the posted coordinates. The puzzle type just implies that something at some point will need to be solved to continue with the cache, whether that's determining the coordinates or just getting into the container.