Monuments to Emigrants and Immigrants

During my Geocaching and Waymarking travels i have seen many monuments to Emigrants and Immigrants, so I thought it would be a good category and our tribute to them.

What do you think of a category dedicated to these monuments?

Here are some examples of what would be accepted:

Polish_Immigrants-275-70930.jpg

Example taken from here

p8220190.JPG

Example taken from here

Tavira_train_station_-_monument_for_the_immigrants.jpg

Example taken from here

IMG_7862.JPG

Example taken from here

Among many other.

Thanks

Here in Germany i've never seen a statue for Emigrants and Immigrants.

Perhaps sometimes monuments for expellees in the time of war.

-lumbricus

I think the category should include the monuments to all Human migration, either to seek a better life ou for war and political reasons.

Thanks for the comments, I think it will be a good category.

I've waymarked a number of these, and I've found an existing category for EVERY ONE of them! Many commemorate an anniversary, as you will see in your examples; some celebrate the FIRST immigrants. Categories for both of these. There are other categories where most of these would find a home. Any stragglers can fit into Signs of History.

That is not to negate the idea totally. But, proposing a category for sites/objects that can already be included in existing categories needs some strong justification. So, what is the case for pulling these particular sites out of existing categories to create another separate category?

I found one of these about a year ago, I did put them forward for... I think Montana State Memorials, or something like that, it was a punt as the memorial was located in the UK, but I thought as it commemorated people emigrating there to form the state it would fit.

I think this could be a nice viable category.

Good thinking!

I've waymarked a number of these, and I've found an existing category for EVERY ONE of them! Many commemorate an anniversary, as you will see in your examples; some celebrate the FIRST immigrants. Categories for both of these. There are other categories where most of these would find a home. Any stragglers can fit into Signs of History.

That is not to negate the idea totally. But, proposing a category for sites/objects that can already be included in existing categories needs some strong justification. So, what is the case for pulling these particular sites out of existing categories to create another separate category?

The reason that we should consider a category is that migrants/refugees have played an important role in history. Countries such as Australia and the USA came into existence only due to successive waves of immigration. The fact that such memorials already exist indicates that this is already acknowledged and accorded a level of importance in the community.

Many waymarks can fit into more than one category. This was said of "Money, Money, Money" (photos of objects on bank notes), but this category has proven popular. A Migrants category would bring together a variety of objects: statues, markers, plaques, and artwork. There is currently no one category that gathers all of these objects together.

For this proposal to be considered there would need to be evidence of prevalence. Lets say a minimum of 500 such monuments in the world.

Edited by Ianatlarge