recommendations - GPS

VintageChic

Up to this point I've been using a automobile GPS.(to geocache) A lot of planning necessary! Now I'm ready to purchase a caching device, but would like the opinion of other cachers. A dedicated GPS, an I-phone, a I-pod, even an I-pad? If GPS, what makes & models?

Edited by VintageChic

This should help. I own an Oregon 550 and am very happy with it.

What GPS should I buy?

There are lots of great threads on the geocaching.com forum on this topic and lots of reviews online, but it doesn't have to be complicated.

If you've got a smart phone, you can start right away by downloading Groundspeak's geocaching app. It's free for the first 10 or so caches, then the cost is $10. Using your smart phone is a good way to see how you like geocaching before spending money on a GPS. Many geocachers find that smart phones work fine for the geocaching they do; others want more accuracy and reliability, for this you will want a regular GPS.

If you are going to buy a GPS, it is essential that the GPS you buy is WAAS satellite-enabled and allows for paperless geocaching.

One basic paperless geocaching model here is the Magellan Explorist GC. We started with the GC and had a great time with it. It is an excellent, easy-to-use model, with an excellent battery life and one we have recommended to friends and family. No touch screen, but it's more affordable.

Another GPS that we recommend to people is the Garmin Oregon 450. It's got a very sleek, touch-screen user interface, all the functionality of the GC, plus a whole bunch more. The downside of the 450 is the price tag and the frequent battery changes. If you like the style and functionality of the Oregon and are OK with a smaller screen, we can recommend the Garmin Dakota 20, which saves you a bit of $ while doing most of what the Oregon does.

Another very popular unit is the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. It is considered to be a very dependable GPS and the price is lower than the touch-screen GPSs. The downside is the crude-looking display and for some people, a learning curve.

I do NOT recommend buying an entry-level eTrex. I know far too many people who have bought these GPSs and been disappointed and found them hard to use.

Detailed GPS reviews: http://www.gpsinformation.net/

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Just to add to the note regarding the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Up until 3 years ago, it was THE GPSr to have. That and the 76CSx were the best you could get. Both models have been discontinued and are getting harder to find. They work great. I had a 60CSx before replacing it with my Colorado 300, 3 years ago. That said, the 60CSx and 76CSx have since been replaced by the 62s and the 78s respectively. While they have pretty much the same functionality and reliability, they also are equipped with paperless geocaching abilities which the 60CSx and 76CSx did not have. I'm thinking the 62 and 78 models will be great for awhile to come.

I did exactly what Mrs. Incredible stated - started with my iPhone and once I decided I'm a sucker for geocaching I started researching GPS models. I spent a couple weeks reading review after review, checking the forums for opinions from caching vets about what they like and finally decided on the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60.

It's worth reading every review you can find and if you can go out to a store so you can get a feel for what the GPS is like to hold. Sadly the selection in my area was pathetic so I had to rely on video reviews.

Good luck!

Up to this point I've been using a automobile GPS. A lot of planning necessary! Now I'm ready to purchase a caching device, but would like the opinion of other cachers. A dedicated GPS, an I-phone, a I-pod, even an I-pad? If GPS, what makes & models?

Have you read the What GPS should I buy? pinned topic in the GPS and Technology forum yet? There is a lot of great info about GPSrs there.

Edited by Glenn

First off....

I would NOT buy an iphone specifically for geocaching. If you're going to get any smart phone - buy it because you need/want a smart phone for the phone,data,apps,etc. Ultimately - If you've been considering getting a smartphone before you discovered geocaching....then perhaps, geocaching is another reason why you should go ahead and get a smart phone. Once you have the smartphone, you can get into geocaching a little more.

We started with iphones..... and it wasn't long before we bought a handheld. Just yesterday, we got another handheld. So now - my husband and I both have our own handhelds AND our own iphones. Best of both worlds. Garmin Oregon 450 we've had for about a year. We just bought a Garmin 62S

If you start using an iphone to geocache with - you'll be using a 3 axis compass as part of the geocaching app. When you look for a GPS, you'll want one with a 3 axis compass (because you're used to using it).

Edited by Lieblweb