GEOvloger - Youtube geocaching channel

GEOvloger Facebook

@GEOvloger

GEOvloger tumblr

Hey Forum,

I wanted to take a moment to tell you guys about my geocaching youtube channel called GEOvloger. I have been caching for a number of years and thought it would be a fun idea. On the other hand, I also know that its kinda taboo to be explicitly geocaching or to give away certain information about caches publicly so i wanted to make this topic to see what you (geocachers) actually thought about the whole situation. I try to stay low profile around muggles while filming and I do my best not to shoot in a way that says, "hey, this is exactly where the hiding spot is. Everyone watching this come steal it!". As an example, i never actually say where it is that I'm shooting but i do give the specific cache information like name, D: T: and size. I think it would be interesting to see what you all think about it as it continues to grow and evolve so i will keep updating this topic with the latest content from the channel.

If you would like to see the channel, visit:

GEOvloger YouTube Channel

Here are the first episodes for two of the mini series within the GEOvloger umbrella for Traditional and Multi caches. There are others and each episode also has a separate bloopers/extras video as well.

Example EPISODES

I just watched traditional #1, which is about 9 minutes. I like it. Very good! You have a good sense of humor, and you kept me interested the whole time.

But as for your main question, you do name the cache, and show the "suspicious pile of rocks". Somehow though, in the context of a 9 minute video whose main purpose is not spoiler information, it doesn't seem like too bad a breach of etiquette. The late Sven, and his new copycat in Arizona, the main purpose of their videos are/were to show other people's Geocaches hiding spots, and I personally disagree with that. You know what though? I may very well be in the minority, Sven had an incredible amount of support when he was temporarily banned for the videos.

Ultimately, and this is just my opinion, maybe it's minority, but you should obtain the permission of the cache owner to name his cache, and show his "suspicious pile of rocks". And I did notice you zoomed way in on it, so as to not show the wider area of the hide.

GEOvloger, you traded a plastic snake for a valuable Honduran dollar bill!?! LOL, just kidding. Entertaining video, will look for more. (BTW, I was waiting for a REAL snake to be uncovered from the cache rock pile.)

Amazing. He finds four caches and blogs

Watching his video past the 3:30 point, he talks about his GC experience and that he has another account. He probably made up the new account just for his vblog...

Edited by Ohiosiouxfan

And your point? Is it...

That you are really pleased that a young fellow has the courage to put himself online like that?

That you are really pleased to see the creativity and understanding of the game with such limited experience?

You are so amazed that you can't find the right words?

Something I haven't thought of?

GEOvloger, you traded a plastic snake for a valuable Honduran dollar bill!?! LOL, just kidding. Entertaining video, will look for more. (BTW, I was waiting for a REAL snake to be uncovered from the cache rock pile.)

Watching his video past the 3:30 point, he talks about his GC experience and that he has another account. He probably made up the new account just for his vblog...

Along with the scared high-pitched voice of himself, and the bassitone voice of a police officer who stopped him for caching at night several years ago. I tell you, this guy is pretty funny, check it out. Of course I still haven't watched the 2nd one, it had better be just as good. :lol:

GEOvloger Facebook

@GEOvloger

GEOvloger tumbler

Oh goodness! I didn't realize this post had any replies. I'm so glad you guys seem to like it so far. I could have sworn i had notifications set up to send me an email when i get a reply to my topic.... Do any of you know how i can make it give me email updates when people post to this topic? Anyways, back to the topic at hand.... thanks for the support and i hope to continue doing this. Like i said in the original post, here is my update with the latest episode of GEOvloger biggrin.gif There are more than the ones listed in this forum so please go check out the rest if you like these.

Visit the link below for geocaching adventure videos by GEOvloger

GEOvloger - YouTube Channel - subscribe for content updates!

Traditional #4 - GEOvloger

Traditional #4 Extras/Outakes <--- LOLZ

Oh goodness! I didn't realize this post had any replies. I'm so glad you guys seem to like it so far. I could have sworn i had notifications set up to send me an email when i get a reply to my topic.... Do any of you know how i can make it give me email updates when people post to this topic? Anyways, back to the topic at hand.... thanks for the support and i hope to continue doing this.

Up at the top end... WATCH TOPIC, select that and make sure you know where the email ends up.

Hope that helps.

Doug 7rxc

Only watched the 2nd one, the one in the sewer tunnel under the man hole covers where the cache is attached to their ladder to the man hole cover. I would imagine most city water departments would not look kindly on them, but have never had a cache in such a thing to have to wonder first hand. Kinda thankful for that. Have done a few tunnel ones where you are not literally crawling in pipes and under sewer man hole covers. I wonder if a reviewer in my state would pull such a cache if they knew about it. Just wondering.

So far I've only watched the 2nd one (in the storm drain) and I was thoroughly entertained. I found it quite funny, I think we have a similar sense of humor. The editing between you and yourself was a nice touch, as were the funny voices. You definitely have me interested and I'll be sure to watch the others.

The only thing I'd bring to your attention are the cuss words. Personally, I don't care because I let 'em fly quite often when I'm around people who I know don't mind. But Geocaching is a family game and there might be kids watching your videos, so you might want to either watch what you say or include a small disclaimer warning viewers of a few expletives here & there. For what it's worth, if I was the one crawling through those pipes, I would have been cussing up a storm. Great job, keep up the good work.

So far I've only watched the 2nd one (in the storm drain) and I was thoroughly entertained. I found it quite funny, I think we have a similar sense of humor. The editing between you and yourself was a nice touch, as were the funny voices. You definitely have me interested and I'll be sure to watch the others.

The only thing I'd bring to your attention are the cuss words. Personally, I don't care because I let 'em fly quite often when I'm around people who I know don't mind. But Geocaching is a family game and there might be kids watching your videos, so you might want to either watch what you say or include a small disclaimer warning viewers of a few expletives here & there. For what it's worth, if I was the one crawling through those pipes, I would have been cussing up a storm. Great job, keep up the good work.

Hey, that's a good point I was thinking a warning at the beginning would be a nice touch.

+1. I enjoyed your videos and was going to call my kids over to watch, but the language ...

Add me to the list that thought your videos were great. I was sad I couldn't share them with my 9 and 7 year old daughters who also love to geocache due to the swearing in them. As a family activity, you may consider modifying your vocabulary slightly so that all audiences can enjoy your videos. At any rate I'll be subscribing soon (when I can get to my desktop to do so) and hopefully I'll be able to share your humor with my daughters in the near future!

Add me to the list that thought your videos were great. I was sad I couldn't share them with my 9 and 7 year old daughters who also love to geocache due to the swearing in them. As a family activity, you may consider modifying your vocabulary slightly so that all audiences can enjoy your videos. At any rate I'll be subscribing soon (when I can get to my desktop to do so) and hopefully I'll be able to share your humor with my daughters in the near future!

To who it may concern

Thanks to everyone who is leaving me feedback about my videos. On the topic of swears, I understand where you all are coming from but I can't predict there being a big change on my stance. I don't think i would find shooting videos as much fun if i had to worry about stepping on people's toes the whole time. When shooting unscripted videos, I think it is important to just be 'myselfs'laugh.gif and 'let it flow' in order to keep the episode moving naturally. Plus, lets people honest people... its nothing they haven't heard before or will hear many times again. Its not my place to say how to parent your children though especially sense i have none of my own. tongue.gif Another reason i don't see a point of censoring myself is because I also sponsor other YouTubers in all of my episodes and I obviously don't have any control of what they put in their content.

But again, thank you to all who have spoken their mind. Its always good to know what the audience is thinking. Here is my response to the topic and i hope you all don't find it too controversial.ph34r.gif

-Mike

-Mikey

Edited by GEOvloger

Fair enough Mike. Your response (basically too bad, deal with it) is exactly what I would expect from a kid. It's probably the response I would have given when I was your age. As you get older your priorities really do change. While you're right, it's nothing my kids haven't heard before, it's still not something I am going to encourage. But I certainly won't be offended if you don't change your content for my younger audience. What you're doing is working; I did enjoy your first couple videos and look forward to your future ones. Are you going to try and release them on any kind of schedule or just whenever you get around to making the next one?

Also, if I may ask, what editing software are you using? I really enjoyed your unique approach of talking to...you. Reminds me of an old nursery rhyme:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I'm schizophrenic

And so am I

Fair enough Mike. Your response (basically too bad, deal with it) is exactly what I would expect from a kid. It's probably the response I would have given when I was your age. As you get older your priorities really do change. While you're right, it's nothing my kids haven't heard before, it's still not something I am going to encourage. But I certainly won't be offended if you don't change your content for my younger audience. What you're doing is working; I did enjoy your first couple videos and look forward to your future ones. Are you going to try and release them on any kind of schedule or just whenever you get around to making the next one?

Also, if I may ask, what editing software are you using? I really enjoyed your unique approach of talking to...you. Reminds me of an old nursery rhyme:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I'm schizophrenic

And so am I

Schedule?

In a perfect world i would film every weekend and have a video posted by Friday. As this is not my job and life happens, I imagine there will be weekends where it just doesn't work out or maybe the footage doesn't turn out as desired. An example of life happening is displayed in my latest video where i announce that i am currently sick so there may not be a video for a while as i have had this BS going on a week now. I'll go ahead a include that video here.

Software?

I am currently using Powerdirector for all my video and audio editing. In the event that i need to edit graphics, i use GIMP. My honest opinion on these products is Powerdirector is awesome for the price but certainly not everything i could ever want in a video editing program. GIMP = awesome base mostly on the fact that it is FREE and as robust as i have ever needed it to be. I'll keep using this stuff as long as i can but i imagine ill eventually spring for the complete adobe suite once i have more experience and the desire to do higher end VFX.

Life happens...

Good job GV. I like your self deprecating humor. Keep up the good work, but try to be more careful.

Only watched the 2nd one, the one in the sewer tunnel under the man hole covers where the cache is attached to their ladder to the man hole cover. I would imagine most city water departments would not look kindly on them, but have never had a cache in such a thing to have to wonder first hand. Kinda thankful for that. Have done a few tunnel ones where you are not literally crawling in pipes and under sewer man hole covers. I wonder if a reviewer in my state would pull such a cache if they knew about it. Just wondering.

I would seriously doubt that adequate permission was given for that cache. I'm totally against caches in municipal confined spaces. There is no telling what you are going to encounter.

Hazardous atmospheres

Snakes & spiders (possibly poisonous)

Bats and other furry critters (possibly rabid)

Hazardous waste

A pop-up thunderstorm like mountainous regions get in summer could kill someone crawling in that pipe.

Not to mention that GV appeared to be alone.

/geocaching safety soapbox

Edited by Snoogans

GEOvloger Facebook

@GEOvloger

GEOvloger tumbler

hey guys!

GEOvloger now has Travel Bugs!!!

check out the 4 GEOvloger inspired travel bugs at the links below

GEOvloger mission page

15sec of Fame mission page

Mike mission page

Mikey mission page

Let me know what you think of the bugs and be sure to watch the travelbug-anza down below!!!!

TRAVELBUGANZA

You're quickly becoming my favorite schitzo. :laughing: (Sorry Vinny. Outta sight, outta mind.) :anibad:

I hope I find one of your bugs. B)

Edited by Snoogans

GEOvloger Facebook

@GEOvloger

GEOvloger tumbler

hey guys!

GEOvloger now has Travel Bugs!!!

check out the 4 GEOvloger inspired travel bugs at the links below

GEOvloger mission page

15sec of Fame mission page

Mike mission page

Mikey mission page

Just in case any of you live in the Denver area and are interested in these travel bugs, I have now placed all of them in different caches so let the games begin!!!!

To who it may concern

Thanks to everyone who is leaving me feedback about my videos. On the topic of swears, I understand where you all are coming from but I can't predict there being a big change on my stance. I don't think i would find shooting videos as much fun if i had to worry about stepping on people's toes the whole time. When shooting unscripted videos, I think it is important to just be 'myselfs'laugh.gif and 'let it flow' in order to keep the episode moving naturally. Plus, lets people honest people... its nothing they haven't heard before or will hear many times again. Its not my place to say how to parent your children though especially sense i have none of my own. tongue.gif Another reason i don't see a point of censoring myself is because I also sponsor other YouTubers in all of my episodes and I obviously don't have any control of what they put in their content.

But again, thank you to all who have spoken their mind. Its always good to know what the audience is thinking. Here is my response to the topic and i hope you all don't find it too controversial.ph34r.gif

-Mike

-Mikey

Since you're editing the content after shooting the video, it seems to me you can insert a bleep or funny sound on top of the swear words. As a father of an 8 year old, I realize that he *will* hear swearing, but I'd prefer if he didn't hear it often, and *especially* didn't associate the game of geocaching with "bad language".

I thought it was very well done. :) I subscribed and thought about sharing the first video on my FB to help non-geocachers see what we do. I did not want to do so without your permission though.

Besides claiming my content as your own, I really don't care what other people do with it. Share it to your heart's content! Actually... Share it beyond your heart's content :D

Enjoyed the latest video. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but with the lack of swears in this video I shared it with my daughters. My 7 year old exclaimed "he's funny!" to which my 9 year old replied, "and cute too!". So you are once again banned from my house. And stay away from my daughters. Jerk.

Seriously though keep going with the videos. They are quite entertaining. My daughters look forward to seeing your next video too. Jerk.

Enjoyed the latest video. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but with the lack of swears in this video I shared it with my daughters. My 7 year old exclaimed "he's funny!" to which my 9 year old replied, "and cute too!". So you are once again banned from my house. And stay away from my daughters. Jerk.

Seriously though keep going with the videos. They are quite entertaining. My daughters look forward to seeing your next video too. Jerk.

GEOvloger Facebook

@GEOvloger

GEOvloger tumblr

LOLZ! I'm so putting this on Tumblr... Maybe I'll be the next Justin Beiber cool.gif

He crawled into a manhole for your entertainment. Imagine what could have happened if there was a flash flood?

Thats what I'm talken about! Danny got my back. All these internet trolls gotta go through Danny.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Yeah, I got your back too. You a funny guy. Danny was quoting a very early post to the thread though. So here's what you do, go on a power trail run to get that find count up. So when did you start caching with your other account, and how many finds did you have on that one? Not that it matters, but you see it comes up. :)

Yeah, I got your back too. You a funny guy. Danny was quoting a very early post to the thread though. So here's what you do, go on a power trail run to get that find count up. So when did you start caching with your other account, and how many finds did you have on that one? Not that it matters, but you see it comes up. :)

Ok, here is a little back filler then. My other username is Jelloman2 (I freaking love jell-o). I have been a member on that account sense 08/13/2005. That account also has 203 finds and none of them are cross over from this channel. Basically, i used that username the whole time i lived in MO but when i moved to CO i decided it was time to make a YouTube channel and GEOvloger was my brain child so i made this account on the last day of 2011. The wheels started turning after that and eventually I launched the first

. The rest is history.

Thanks for the interest and i hope this answers your questions!

biggrin.giflaugh.gifcool.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

As usual great videos! The girls got a big kick out of your dingleberries, which I must remind you to keep well away from them. Too bad there's no actual video of the police encounter. It's good he let you off with a warning though.

I also feel obligated to thank you for editing the language out of your videos. I like being able to share them with family and friends!

Ok, here is a little back filler then. My other username is Jelloman2 (I freaking love jell-o). I have been a member on that account sense 08/13/2005. That account also has 203 finds and none of them are cross over from this channel. Basically, i used that username the whole time i lived in MO but when i moved to CO i decided it was time to make a YouTube channel and GEOvloger was my brain child so i made this account on the last day of 2011. The wheels started turning after that and eventually I launched the first

. The rest is history.

Thanks for the interest and i hope this answers your questions!

biggrin.giflaugh.gifcool.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

Oh, I couldn't care less, that was just to silence any other critics. :lol: Although I guess in the back of my mind I was secretly curious of at least when you really started. :ph34r:

Besides, we need a new person making Geocaching videos to replace the American Sven copycat, who mysteriously erased himself from YouTube. :blink:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

As usual great videos! The girls got a big kick out of your dingleberries, which I must remind you to keep well away from them. Too bad there's no actual video of the police encounter. It's good he let you off with a warning though.

I also feel obligated to thank you for editing the language out of your videos. I like being able to share them with family and friends!

Yeah, i did think it was quite ironic that the one time i went out caching without my camera that something actually film worthy would happen but thats life i guess... I even when back to the same spot and purposely looked suspicious in hopes that he would show up again and I could offer him a spot in the video but to no avail. Thanks for sharing my content with others! Its a lot harder than i thought to actually get new viewers dry.gif The subscriber list does seem to be going up though so maybe ill be a household name someday rolleyes.gif

-Michael Scanlon

Greetings ladies and gentlemen... welcome to the new sub-series of GEOvloger called Micro Madness! Watch Mike and Mikey's race against the clock while on the hunt for micro caches. The new series includes a new punishment system where YOU get to choose my fate blink.gif

If at this point you are completely confused then go ahead and watch the new video below. It will all make sense!!!

If you like what you see then go ahead and SUBSCRIBE

Click the link below to see the video comments and cast your vote!

Greetings ladies and gentlemen... welcome to the new sub-series of GEOvloger called Micro Madness! Watch Mike and Mikey's race against the clock while on the hunt for micro caches. The new series includes a new punishment system where YOU get to choose my fate blink.gif

If at this point you are completely confused then go ahead and watch the new video below. It will all make sense!!!

If you like what you see then go ahead and SUBSCRIBE

Click the link below to see the video comments and cast your vote!

Enjoyed the fast pace of the video. Well done.