Cache / FTF WYBOWT Question

With out giving out too much info, because I know some of my local cachers lurk here, Would you be ok with the following.

I am getting ready to place a cache, and I am not going to place the FTF goodies IN the cache, but rather have the FTF-er contact me to get there goodies. Would you be OK with this / or willing to do this?

With out giving out too much info, because I know some of my local cachers lurk here, Would you be ok with the following.

I am getting ready to place a cache, and I am not going to place the FTF goodies IN the cache, but rather have the FTF-er contact me to get there goodies. Would you be OK with this / or willing to do this?

No. You seem very seedy, so I wouldn't want you to know about me. :ph34r:

...I'm kidding! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Anyway, maybe mention the deal on the cache page, and if it's OK with the reviewer, it's OK. So if the FTF doesn't want to contact you, update the page. STF may then request the goodies. HOWEVER, not getting a PM from somebody does NOT mean they didn't try to contact you. Be SURE you list a direct way to be contacted, so there's no confusion. You should have info in the container, too, just in case. And it's still likely to unfold in ways you didn't expect. "Prizes for FTF" should at least be used with care, to avoid grief.

...I also think it would be fun to place coordinates for FTF to go find a surprise. But I've never tried that, so I can't say exactly how well that world work.

Edited by kunarion

You asked a good question. In my opinion, it all depends on the locals and why it's so important to give the FTF prize directly, rather than leave in the cache.

Is the cache container too small to leave the FTF prize you want to give?

(Sorry, but you know we're all curious!)

I like the idea of putting coords in the cache container for the FTF to go find his prize. Almost evil :ph34r:

This is what I did in a couple of cases where my FTF prize would not fit in the cache container.

Wanting to meet me to hand the prize over personally is sort of creepy :blink:

I've seen that happen occasionally, nothing wrong with it, esp. if the FTF prize doesn't fit in the cache. I have been the recipient of one of these: A friend and I were FTF on a snowshoe cache, and the owner mailed the prizes to us - large water bottles filled with survival gear. Very cool.

Why would this even be a question? FTF is not an official part of geocaching; FTF goodies are in no way required. What you (as cache owner) choose to give to any finder is completely up to you. Geocaching.com will not care.

I would be truly shocked if a reviewer paid any attention at all.

I like the idea of putting coords in the cache container for the FTF to go find his prize. Almost evil :ph34r:

This is what I did in a couple of cases where my FTF prize would not fit in the cache container.

Wanting to meet me to hand the prize over personally is sort of creepy :blink:

There was a local cacher that put out a cache before I started that had a monetary FTF prize where the amount went down each day that it wasn't found. The CO was well known in the community and had attended a lot of events so I doubt the FTF had any qualms about meeting him and collecting $80 (it started at $100).

I have done this before especially when say I was giving a $20 FTF prize had no problem and the other cacher was ok with me sending him the FTF prize

We've now included MA on our notifications. ;)

I'm not comfortable meeting up with someone I don't know. My slightly-paranoid self would be wondering why.

I have a PO Box added to addresses and have received FTF "stuff" there though.

I like the coords to the prize stash idea. A simple post-it attached to the first page of the log. We've had a few of those too.

We've now included MA on our notifications. ;)

Why because my other caches are there ? ph34r.gif

I'm not comfortable meeting up with someone I don't know. My slightly-paranoid self would be wondering why.

I have a PO Box added to addresses and have received FTF "stuff" there though.

I like the coords to the prize stash idea. A simple post-it attached to the first page of the log. We've had a few of those too.

Understand about that.......

The separate coords for the FTF, has got me thinking....

The separate coords for the FTF, has got me thinking....

This has got to be the most elegant solution.

Co-ordinates in the cache to a nearby location where the FTF prize is secreted.

The FTF team get the thrill of yet another 'FTF', and also get their prize with no waiting or schedule conflict issues.