Homeschoolers?!?

RainbowTVP
Followers 3

Hello! I homeschool my son (who will be 5 years old ina couple of days) and we have just begun caching. What I'm finding most wonderful is that it gives him an incentive to get out in the woods. Often, he doesn't want to go hiking when I do, and my soul is crying out for more time in the woods. So now that there is a goal in mind, he is more excited about going out. As far as the homeschooling goes, we don't really separate it from real life-- life is learning and learning occurs naturally within a lifestyle which is diverse and stimulating. But of course, when people ask what curriculum I'm using, it's nice to be able to say all the areas of study that are covered by geocaching!

We're long time homeschoolers (6th grader and 2nd grader), but newbie geocachers. In fact, we haven't hunted at all. We're anxiously awaiting the Big Brown Truck that is scheduled to arrive on Friday. The driver should be handing me a smiling box from Amazon that contains a Christmas present to myself. Can't wait to hold that little Garmin Vista HCX in the palm of my hand.

My kids are so excited to start hunting!!

We home school two geo-boys, ages 9 & 7, and we have used geocaching to learn about GPS in general, maps, directions, we have enjoyed our hikes, and for history with many of the virtual caches out there, esp. in Wash DC was great. and with the puzzle caches & multi-stage caches we make sure the boys help to solve the puzzles, riddles, etc... as possible. Geocaching has been a very positive part of our home schooling & just as a family!!

Enjoy!!

We're long time homeschoolers (6th grader and 2nd grader), but newbie geocachers. In fact, we haven't hunted at all. We're anxiously awaiting the Big Brown Truck that is scheduled to arrive on Friday. The driver should be handing me a smiling box from Amazon that contains a Christmas present to myself. Can't wait to hold that little Garmin Vista HCX in the palm of my hand.

My kids are so excited to start hunting!!

We're in FL too and homeschool and we purchased a Vista HCX about 2 weeks ago. We are having a blast! We're lucky to have tons of caches locally and my son begs to go geocaching now. So much better than being in front of a screen! I love all the learning aspects of geocaching and have found several lesson plans that we will begin to incorporate once I can stay home long enough to organize them! :)

I see this thread got bumped again, so thought I'd weigh in. We are homeschoolers as well, currently 3 kiddos 5, 13 & 14. We like to geocache in historic areas that tie into our current studies. And even when an area is not historic, I've noticed that geocaching has really helped my kids practice their observation skills. In addition we have placed one cache in a neat location and I made the kids help research the area before submitting the cache Bill of Rights.

Homeschoolers here with kids in 5th and 4th, and two littles bringing up the rear.

I have found that it's about a zillion times easier to teach ecology in the woods than at home! I love the way it brings lat/long home for the kids learning geography, but even the three-year-old can spot a vernal pool and talk about why it's important. We talk about LNT, we look at swamps and marshes, population ecology, pollution, forest fires, it goes on forever. The last cache we did went through mature old-growth forest, extremely rare around here, and it was astounding to see the biomass completely suspended in the air; not a single green thing on the ground. You could "bushwhack" as easily as you walked the trail, because it was just space between the huge treetrunks. So that was a several-hours lesson on forest succession, and the kids (and husband!) were fascinated.

I'm a homeschooler :)

Don't use caching much in the way of schooling, but my father's in the military so I sort of got a free eTrex Vista to use... although I must say that our Magellan 315 (1999 model) thing, albeit older, sure picks up satellite signals more easily. Anyway, I bring it up because he and I cache together quite a bit and I guess he's one of my "teachers".

As some others have noted, we've been an Alabama homeschooling family for many years, but are brand new to geocaching (21 finds). We have graduated 2 of our children, and are still working on the last 4, with their ages from 13 to 28. We began homeschooling when our 28 yr daughter was in second grade, starting out on the journey of a lifetime. It has been the source of some of our greatest challenges, but definitely some of our greatest blessings/joys as well. We also do a lot of camping, and have discovered that geocaching fits in perfectly. The whole geocaching experience has so far been a wonderful way to spend time together as a family, while keeping every age and stage interested and having fun. We've enjoyed all the different type caches, but especially the historical ones and the ones that take you to little, out-of-the-way scenic spots you would never have seen otherwise. Great fun! See ya at the caches! :unsure:

Hi, we've been homeschooling eight years and geocaching for four. We actively use geocaching as part of our homeschool--good for geography, PE, and our favorite, nature walks! I've been toying with the idea of doing a geocaching unit study and notebooking page set to put out there but haven't had time yet with school still going on here. Our sons are 14, 12, and 8 now and all 3 love to cache. We've found many caches and are having a lot of fun hiding more. This is definitely something that is underutilized by homeschoolers in general. I mention geocaching on most of the homeschooling email groups and message boards we take part in, and we've done geocaching learning events for local homeschool groups and church youth groups.

So does anyone have ideas on what they'd like to see in a unit study? I have a couple pages of ideas written out already but always looking for more.

ALSO something I'd like to see is a collaboration across states to put together "geocaching trails" to follow the routes of some famous books, like the Little House on the Prairie series, or the great books of Holling Clancy Holling like Tree in the Trail, Minn of the Mississippi. A few families collaborating together could put together a whole educational list of sites--Laura's trip from Wisconsin to Kansas, or Minn's trip down the Mississippi.

Crazy for geocaching and homeschooling,

Houseofboys

Greetings everyone!!! Another Homeschooling fam here. :ph34r: We've been at it for about 6 years and loving it! Geocaching we are new to. Found our first cache last night sans GPS which the kids are saying we HAVE to get. *laffs*

Let's see, we homeschool 2 right now (16 & 12). our 16 yr old daughter hates math, loves writing and our son is dead opposite.

Note to Manning: :lol:

I got worried about my son not writing or hardly even printing without a fight so I broke down and asked a "pro" for ideas. I was sooo happy with what they had to say. I'll share...

Pro: Can he type? Use a computer well

Me: *laffs* The dude types faster than I do.

Pro: Then why worry? Given his age and the time we live in, when he's old enough to need to do business reports, term papers, or head to college it will all be digital anyway. Just make sure he can sign his name and let go.

*laffs* Techno-age for the win Alex?

All in all we are pretty laided back, we go with the flow and focus on interests. They weren't cookie cutter kids IN public school, at home they can find thier passion without preasure. :D

Ok, Kiara & wolves are hounding to go after cache 2... bfn. :D

Hi everyone,

we just got back from a great home schooling conference and we came upon this neat looking curriculum using GPS with teaching, home school and any setting really. just want to share the web site for this: 'Educaching'

Educaching. This was developed by a teacher/geocacher.

Edited by Lovey Pigs

We are unschoolers in British Columbia and new to geocaching (just logged our second find today!).

As we were hiking through the gorgeous forest today, I thought about how lucky we were to be enjoying the peacful West Coast rainforest while hundreds of thousands of families were dealing with the frantic chaos of the first day of school. I couldn't think of a nicer way to celebrate "Not Back to School Day" than heading out on a cache hunt! :rolleyes:

We don't use any curricula but geocaching definitely is a learning experience in so many ways. My six year old daughter is a nature buff and we collected mushrooms and photographed various banana slugs as we cached. We often talk about the local flora and fauna, rock formations around the waterfalls and pools, and the various birds (saw a gorgeous pileated woodpecker out today). My 3.5 year old son, OTOH, enjoys the activity, being able to run and jump and climb...and the excitement of finding a cache is shared by everybody!

My wife has home educated our two children most of their lives. The eldest just regurgitated this last year and is now in college. The youngest still has two years to go.

Glad to see some other HS'ers in the forums. (Captain No Beard..........you crack me up!)

I'm fairly new to caching, but my eldest and wife do like to cache sometimes. We don't use it as an education aid, but it looks like it easily could be. Got to thinking that my children need to learn basic compass and map land navigation.

We're also homeschooling geocachers. We've homeschooled since 1998, geocached since the end of 2005, I think (oops, I stand corrected by the stats on here. We've cached since the end of 2003). We've encorporated learning into caching through the years and love the places it has taken us! Currently we have a 2nd grader, 5th grader, and 7th grader at home, along with a 3 yo. The 9th grader is in school.

DavisFamily

Edited by DavisFamily

We're another home-educating family, and brand-new to geocaching. We don't even own a gps or any other equipment, but we found our first cache yesterday (by knowing the area and zooming waaaay in on google satellite view LOL). We've been home-educating for over seven years, and have six children aged from 13 years to 11 weeks :-)

We are also home schoolers, new to geocaching. We were introduced to it by another home school family at a park day last week and are totally obsessed! I have a 6 year old, 5 tear old and baby.

Welcome to the forums. We started last January and have had a great time. This fall I started a geocaching club within our support group.

One other thing that is fun for homeschooling is the precursor of geocaching: letterboxing. You buy or make a family stamp (using a gum eraser to carve an image), then search for letterboxes. Instead of GPS coordinates, they have descriptions to find the cache. Some hiders are very clever with their wording. My son thinks of it like a pirate treasure hunt. Instead of trading items, you stamp YOUR image in the cache logbook, and you place THEIR stamp in your book (we made a little notebook to use). It can add to your caching fun. My son is young, so I print out the descriptions and it is up to him to read the directions and tell us where to go. He feels like a grown up, being a leader and loves it. I wish more homeschoolers knew about these hobbies: geocaching, terracaching, earthcaches (which show goelogical earth formations) and letterboxing.

If any homeschoolers are within reach of a Virginia State Park, our parks have GPS units (10 per park) and activities available for groups. The fee is $25 per group. Educational groups, including homeschools, are exempt from the parking fees that are normally collected.

Also, if you would like a copy of our training manual, which includes a number of GPS activities, just drop me a note. We are currently collecting additional activities that have been developed by our parks. Hope to have this available soon.

I have homeschooled my two children who both have graduated now and went on to college. I now teach geocaching classes to area homeschoolers through our homeschool Co-op. We still use our own personal GPS for the students who don't have a GPS. More and more students are purchasing their own and going out on their own (if they are old enough) or with their parents (if they aren't old enough). It is a great way to tie local history and technology together.

I'm a homeschooler (will be starting my senior year of high school in a couple weeks :(:( ), but I don't use geocaching as part of my school work. Unless you can classify it as P.E.! :blink::(:(B) My friends Pole Position (who was the one to introduce me to geocaching), his little brother Plo-Koon, Davis Warrior, and Davis Pathfinder are also homeschoolers.

We are homeschooling our 5 year old twins. My wife is a master teacher in the public school system and she is the primary driver for homeschooling. A ringing endorsement for public ed, there.

Since I have yet to start caching since I JUST received my PN40 and have to figure it all out it will be an educational process for us all. We travel a lot in baja and believe in an expansive learning experience.

GPS offers so many learning experiences that young minds can absorb readily. Mapping skills, navigating, spacial relationships, history and on and on.

It is an exciting venture.

Any other homeschoolers out there?<BR><BR>How are you using geocaching?<BR><BR>We are very loose here- child-directed unit study/project type approach- but geocaching has been very educational here!<BR><BR>It takes care of phys ed, geography, local history (and American History as we run out of local caches soon!), Science, art (making cache items icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::(-->), hmm what *doesn't* it cover?<BR><BR>Geocaching seems to be a great past time for homeschooler-s except for the GPS part- were usually on limited budgets ya know...<BR><BR>Tara P<BR><BR>Tara P

Hey there,

We are homeschoolers that travel around with work. A friend introduced us to Geocaching earlier this summer... I have fell in love....

We have learned about all kinds of plants, animals, terrain, topo maps, and survival skills. Plus it is our P.E.... well one of them... LOL!!!

Any other homeschoolers out there?<BR><BR>How are you using geocaching?<BR><BR>We are very loose here- child-directed unit study/project type approach- but geocaching has been very educational here!<BR><BR>It takes care of phys ed, geography, local history (and American History as we run out of local caches soon!), Science, art (making cache items icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::rolleyes:-->), hmm what *doesn't* it cover?<BR><BR>Geocaching seems to be a great past time for homeschooler-s except for the GPS part- were usually on limited budgets ya know...<BR><BR>Tara P<BR><BR>Tara P

Hey there,

We are homeschoolers that travel around with work. A friend introduced us to Geocaching earlier this summer... I have fell in love....

We have learned about all kinds of plants, animals, terrain, topo maps, and survival skills. Plus it is our P.E.... well one of them... LOL!!!

Hi, We are the Rudolphs here in Florida. Our first Geo Cache was a few weeks ago . As a Home school class we are incorporating exercise and Science as well . We are also making our gifts to put in the Cache to add art in , this is special to us. Nice to hear from a fellow Home schooler.

We live in Dalton, PA and we have been homeschooling for about 15 years. We have graduated our two oldest boys, 22 and 24, and still teach our 12 year old, 16 year old and 18 year old at home. We have just started Geocaching this past year and we are hooked. We have hidden a number of them as well as sent out a number of TBs. We are looking for ways to encorporate Geocaching into our curriculum. Any suggestions? I found a good book, Geocaching for Dummies, that covers a lot of suggestions. I hope to put them into use either this year or next. Geocaching and homeschooling are really going to blow things out of the water for all of us who use it.

Any other homeschoolers out there?<BR><BR>How are you using geocaching?<BR><BR>We are very loose here- child-directed unit study/project type approach- but geocaching has been very educational here!<BR><BR>It takes care of phys ed, geography, local history (and American History as we run out of local caches soon!), Science, art (making cache items icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::laughing:-->), hmm what *doesn't* it cover?<BR><BR>Geocaching seems to be a great past time for homeschooler-s except for the GPS part- were usually on limited budgets ya know...<BR><BR>Tara P<BR><BR>Tara P

I homeschool my 4 kids, ages 13, twins 10 and 8. They have never set foot in public school. I use child led learning, and a lesson in Genesis "God created" started a huge nature interest! I have one child who wants to be a vet, one who wants to study and help herps (reptiles and amphibians), and one who wants to photograph nature. So, our studies take us to lots of nature centers, zoos, etc.

Geo-caching has helped us to look even closer, seeing things we hadn't seen before. While caching, we will herp and photograph and identify all of our nature finds. We do carry a snake hook, not to catch them, but to turn logs and push back dangerous snakes.

We sometimes meet up with a fellow geocacher and hit areas of interest. One was an old one-room school, where the docent gave us the full tour and then some. The afternoon of fun turned into extremely educational event! This was our first historical cache - we plan to do more.

We also signed up for the summer Texas Nature Challenge (google TAMU nature challenge) We plan to do geocaches and earthcaches in the area. The challenge is free and at parks, museums, zoos. I plan to print each mission, to use repeatedly.

I'm also looking into other types of caching, and some of the curriculum posted. I did find that edhelper just added a geocaching reading comp. Woo-hoo!

I am the oldest of six homeschooled kids, ages 15, 12, 10, 8, 8, and 3. Mom doesn't geocache, but Dad teaches a GPS and outdoor class at an alternative ed school in town and runs a 4-H Survival, map & compass and GPS club. I geocache more often than he does! Our homeschooling is more like unschooling, but mom reads to us from history magazines & books and helps the younger ones learn to read (she also buys all the materials for us older ones to do on our own.) I might be taking the little ones to some goecaches we have within a mile of here. That way, I could supply some math and science that we are missing!

:) the ideas!

Posted ImageGood for all you Home Schoolers! Is Geocaching in the ABEKA curriculum????? I used to home scholl until I lost a lengthy court battle over it with my X! Still a licensed school, but no longer active. WE still geocache though. My 10 year old loves it. Congrats to all of you who make the home schoolind choice!

MissAngele

Chúng tôi là một trong những công ty tu van du hoc hàng đầu Việt Nam .Chúng tôi là đại diện cho nhiều tập đoàn du hoc hàng đầu TG tại Vietnam .Hàng năm đều có các xuất hoc bong du hoc miễn phí đi vụ du hoc singapore.

We are a homeschooling family of a 12 year old, seven year old and 5 year old. We take a thematic/enthusiasm based approach to learning and are incorporating geocaching into our days. We love it because it provides so much- exercise, nature, geography, life skills, team work as well as quality time spent together. Our best conversations have been while out geocaching :)

Our family unschools. Geocaching is certainly fun for all of us; the kids enjoy finding travel tags and seeing where their own tags go, and they like to swap little toys. It's fun family time and takes us on little mini adventures.

One of my favorite thing about geocaching is that often people place caches in some of their favorite places. We've discovered tiny neighborhood parks, hidden trails, and other local spots of interest all because people put caches there. It's awesome! We're planning our own set of "favorite places" caches, after we've logged our first 100 finds.

My husband and I particularly like puzzle caches and clever hides, so we plan to do interesting ones ourselves. Not fond of micros! :anitongue:

Homeschooler here - Charlotte Mason/Unit Study approach. Working on writing a unit study incorporating geocaching. Will include read-alouds, geology, geography, cartography, scripture, problem solving, history of exploration, journaling and more. Planning it in August and starting it in September. Hi to fellow homeschoolers!!

HH