Parts of moon off limits for cache hides?

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/may/HQ_12-168_Lunar_Protection_Guidelines.html

I think we need a revision of the LunarCaching gudelines. Apparently NASA just created the equivalent of U.S. national parks with regards to hiding physical caches on the moon.

So no blinkies or magnetic keyholders on any of the equipment left behind....

This pretty much leaves every single lunar hide as described by the following:

Look for a pile of rocks.

lunar.jpg

Edited by DragonsWest

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/may/HQ_12-168_Lunar_Protection_Guidelines.html

I think we need a revision of the LunarCaching gudelines. Apparently NASA just created the equivalent of U.S. national parks with regards to hiding physical caches on the moon.

So no blinkies or magnetic keyholders on any of the equipment left behind....

This pretty much leaves every single lunar hide as described by the following:

Look for a pile of rocks.

lunar.jpg

okay please tell me this is a hoax. are there really caches on the moon? if so links would be mucho appreciated.

okay please tell me this is a hoax. are there really caches on the moon? if so links would be mucho appreciated.

What, you haven't found any of the moon caches yet? You should at least attend that event shown on the map. So far, hundreds of cachers have logged "Will attend"s, and we're hoping to make it a Mega! Another must-do is "The TRUE E.T. Highway":

24evmf7.jpg

Yes, this is all a hoax! Obviously, there aren't any caches on the moon. There IS one on the ISS, however: GC1BE91

What, you haven't found any of the moon caches yet? You should at least attend that event shown on the map. So far, hundreds of cachers have logged "Will attend"s, and we're hoping to make it a Mega! Another must-do is "The TRUE E.T. Highway"

I'd have driven down the TRUE E.T. Highway, but I was worried by the "No Gas Next 250,000 Miles" sign.

Lamp post hides would be out as you'd need to put a hole in the ground to put the post up.

Unless you used a large heavy base.

There's no guideline prohibition against installing a lamp post on your own private property. So go grab a piece of land right now and start digging that post hole.

Disclaimer : You will definitely not get anything other than a piece of paper for your money, so just give yourself a 95% discount and print out your own title deed on your own ink jet printer for the moon if you really want one.

Lamp post hides would be out as you'd need to put a hole in the ground to put the post up.

Actually it wouldn't have to be that heavy (approx. 1/6 gravity, you know....). :)

Of course, having a cache on the moon would have its advantages....you could use anything at all for a cache container as water intrusion would not be a concern...no more damp logs!

Edited by Chief301

Wait, I just realized something. Unless you can demonstrate that you're regularly in the area to do maintenance, caches hidden there would probably be classed as "vacation" caches and the reviewers wouldn't publish them. Come to think of it, who exactly is the reviewer covering the moon?

Of course, having a cache on the moon would have its advantages....you could use anything at all for a cache container as water intrusion would not be a concern...no more damp logs!

"Great view from up here! TNLNSL

BTW, the log is getting dusty and might need to be replaced soon."

What, you haven't found any of the moon caches yet? You should at least attend that event shown on the map. So far, hundreds of cachers have logged "Will attend"s, and we're hoping to make it a Mega! Another must-do is "The TRUE E.T. Highway":

I've done all those virtuals...

'greetings from earth'!

Edited by JesandTodd

Actually it wouldn't have to be that heavy (approx. 1/6 gravity, you know....). :)

Actually, wouldn't it have to be 6 times as massive in order to be the same weight on the moon?

Actually, wouldn't it have to be 6 times as massive in order to be the same weight on the moon?

Got to think about that one... BUT at least you could ignore WIND loadings on the pole. Amongst other factors.

Scrabblers: It depends on what satellites and for what purpose. GPS (Earth system) would not be good at all. They broadcast towards Earth surface and are so distant that the signals would all come from the same place if they could be received at all. A Moon based MPS nav system would be OK.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

A Moon based MPS nav system would be OK.

Wouldn't it be "LPS"? Lunar Positioning System?

In fact, NASA has already been developing just such a system: NASA designs lunar positioning system for exploration

That article was from 2008, though, so who knows what the status of that project may be today.

I was thinking about the lack of tree coverage. So we need to get another unit. Have to wonder how much that would cost!

A Moon based MPS nav system would be OK.

Wouldn't it be "LPS"? Lunar Positioning System?

In fact, NASA has already been developing just such a system: NASA designs lunar positioning system for exploration

That article was from 2008, though, so who knows what the status of that project may be today.

That's the term I should have used for sure... but I have an aversion to LPC/S for some reason.

Doug 7rxc

The new geocaching moon maps are HORRID! I'm going to cancel my membership unless they bring back Google Moon maps.

Quit yer complainin'! Just use OpenMoonMaps, they're fine for the moon areas I cache in.

YES! You can add hiking trails and etc on openmoonmaps. Better than Google moon map, ask GS!

The swag in the moon caches sure has degenerated. There's nothing worse than packing up the family, including all their clothes, toiletries and that crappy dried space food, finding a kennel for the dog for a week, bringing activities for the kids to stay amused in the space capsule, finally landing and finding your first cache, and the only thing inside is a broken silly band and a faded pokemon card. Or worse, moon rocks. Come on folks, let's be a little more considerate and trade up.

The swag in the moon caches sure has degenerated. There's nothing worse than packing up the family, including all their clothes, toiletries and that crappy dried space food, finding a kennel for the dog for a week, bringing activities for the kids to stay amused in the space capsule, finally landing and finding your first cache, and the only thing inside is a broken silly band and a faded pokemon card. Or worse, moon rocks. Come on folks, let's be a little more considerate and trade up.

Its true that caching on the moon does have its dark side, but really... a few days spent at the Sea of Tranquility should help settle your swag angst a bit.

Edited by knowschad

Its true that caching on the moon does have its dark side, but really... a few days spent at the Sea of Tranquility should help settle your swag angst a bit.

Thanks for talking me down, I just wanted people to understand the gravity of the situation. I didn't want to launch another controversy.

Don't get me started about those moon-cards and space food samples people leave in moon caches. :mad:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Don't get me started about those moon-cards and space food samples people leave in moon caches. :mad:

Don't people know we're not supposed food in caches? I know Tang may not look like food but it's known to attract aliens that have been migrating from an area in Nevada that has recently been inundated with people.