etrex venture hc

Kingy007

i have just brought the above gps, and im like wheres the info on all the geo caches?? there was only one showing on the unit but someone hit the found button and now thats gone ( guess to another part of the memory_)

so in short how do i get all the geo caches on to my etrex??? i click on goe cache and then it says none found and the bottom it says from current location?? guess i need to go outside and get it to find the satellites,

not very good at solving stuff sorry!!! and not good with gadgets either :rolleyes: i have paid to be a premuim member......

ops ok stupid me i needed to find the satellites then search from my present location did that and it came up with a geo cache 103 plus feet away, guess once i found that it will find another?? and so on?....

Edited by Kingy007

On your Venture HC, to find (on the unit) already found caches, go to:

Menu;

Main Menu;

Scroll to FIND, [Enter];

Scroll to RECENT FINDS [Enter] -- if you have any geocaches already marked as found, that is where they will be.

Loaded but unfound caches will be located within the GEOCACHES icon.

To load caches in number, you will need to run a Pocket Query (PQ); read this tutorial: http://markwell.us/pq.htm

Pocket Queries can be ran up to five per day, with up to 1,000 caches in each query.

You can also load them individually by hand: Mark a waypoint then alter the coordinates to match those for the caches.

Final note: The Venture HC is not a paperless unit. It will not provide you with all the info of a cache. You will get the name, ID # and the coordinates.

It is a good GPSr, the only downfall is that it is not paperless.

Before caching -- play with it. Wear out some batteries to see just what it will/won't do. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn the GPSr and geocaching intricacies at the same time. Stumble with one thing at a time.... makes life easier.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

thank you Gitchee-Gummee, for your reply, i will go out tomorrow and see whats what with it, and take my ipad with me as thats got geo bucket on it and findit free too, but the satellite link up sucks, using the ipad so thats reason why i bit the bullet and gotthe venture and then found out theres a etrex that can take a memory card bugger

anyways, i think i have the hang of this etrex and your on about paperless? not sure what you mean?? do that mean i cant get ground speak on it???

just trying to find out how i access that but no joy yet

Edited by Kingy007

Paperless is the ability to do EVERYTHING with your GPSr --- download cache info, log and upload field notes as online logs. Info provided by the GPSr in the field just about equates to seeing the cache page on your desktop computer. Paperless GPSr units have all of that, including the decrypted hint.

No need to write any notes, etc., etc. -- in essence, paperless.

Thanks very much, boy I'm thick at times but also suffer from dyslexsure , trying to understand something at times is very hard yet give me a motorbike to strip down easy :-).

I have geo bucket on my iPad and that should be able to use paperless but at the moment seems I can't figure that out either or there's no hints/clues for that cache? There's two right on my door step and beginning to bug me :-),

I'm also wondering why sometimes well mostly all the time I can't log into ground speak from geo bucket? Weird !!!! Yet can for the forum and on the ground speak Website,

I do appriatate your input thanks very much,

Edited by Kingy007

Well I'm getting there slowly but surely, I'm just wondering how I can get at the hints etc, the bit I have paid for, I have a iPad generation 1, my etrex. Venture, h and mobile htc Titan windows phone, and pc and laptop at home, so anybody got a clue as to how I get at the hints please :-)

And is there a system on here where someone can say put a thankyou next to the persons name for there help? Or a +1 would do? As a thankyou?

Finally found how it all works so ican get at the hints now using my iPad or pc, and I can load th caches upto way points :-), blimey I never had half this much trouble finding some difficult caches in Worcester uk, last week, ever after climbing in and out a storm drain ditch with stringer thristles covering my entrance, :-)

just tried to access my pocket quiery and got a questionair pop up, and it wont go away!! i cant click back either as it just reloads any ideas?? very irriatating to say the least, randomly selected my butt!!!

How are you "accessing" the pocket query? Whose questionnaire is it?

Hiya A team, I'm still trying to learn how to navigate around this site, and where I was at last night I'm not sure, but I was logged in, sorry not much use but if I do find that stupid pain in the butt questionnaire agin I will take a picture and post it using photo bucket, lol that's something I can do :-)

Now to find where my geo cache query is at?......

ok well its this advert that keeps popping up, http://localdealspanel.com/uk/survey/index.php

http://localdealspanel.com/uk/survey/index.php.

its a vistors survay.

i was just looking at a post a chap on here put up asking how he gets stuff sent to his phone and was about to reply as id like to have things sent to my windows phone but no good and that came up.

That doesn't look like it has anything to do with this site. It's some kind of spam/malware. You might want to run a malware and/or virus checker on your computer, because there's a good chance you've got something on there.

ok well its this advert that keeps popping up, http://localdealspanel.com/uk/survey/index.php

http://localdealspanel.com/uk/survey/index.php.

its a vistors survay.

i was just looking at a post a chap on here put up asking how he gets stuff sent to his phone and was about to reply as id like to have things sent to my windows phone but no good and that came up.

That doesn't look like it has anything to do with this site. It's some kind of spam/malware. You might want to run a malware and/or virus checker on your computer, because there's a good chance you've got something on there.

all the caches i have put on my gps are showing up as waypoints. so how do i move them over to the cache store on my venture hc???

On the Venture HC, all geocaches are waypoints with the "closed treasure chest" icon. When marked as found, the icon changes to "open treasure chest".

Unlike the Colorado / Oregon / Dakota / etrex 10/20/30 / Montana / GPSMap 62/78, there is no special geocache storage that is separate from waypoint storage.

You can try to put the hints in the comments section of a waypoint, but you'll be limited to 14 characters (or something like that).

When I was caching with my eTrex Venture HC, I used GSAK to customize my upload. I have the difficulty, size, and terrain in my waypoint name and however much of the hint that will fit in the comments.

Edited by Chrysalides