Found my first cache!

nightmaker

I DLed the free version of geocaching.com on my iphone and set out to try to find some. After 2 failed attempts(and getting a little frustrated) I was about to give up for the day, I started walking back to my car and figured I would check to see if there's anymore,there was another one in the area,so I set out to find it,AND I DID!!! Can't believe how excited I actually felt..lol.There was some stuff in it but I didn't have anything to leave,I'll go back with something only because I want a souvenir of my first find.(if that's permitted that is).The first one I tried to find was supposed to be right at the end of my road,but I didn't come across it,i think it was supposed to be inside the guardrail. The 2nd one I tried to find I came across a tag nailed to a tree from munzee.com,could that have been it? The app said to record it on here,how do I do that?

I DLed the free version of geocaching.com on my iphone and set out to try to find some. After 2 failed attempts(and getting a little frustrated) I was about to give up for the day, I started walking back to my car and figured I would check to see if there's anymore,there was another one in the area,so I set out to find it,AND I DID!!! Can't believe how excited I actually felt..lol.There was some stuff in it but I didn't have anything to leave,I'll go back with something only because I want a souvenir of my first find.(if that's permitted that is).The first one I tried to find was supposed to be right at the end of my road,but I didn't come across it,i think it was supposed to be inside the guardrail. The 2nd one I tried to find I came across a tag nailed to a tree from munzee.com,could that have been it? The app said to record it on here,how do I do that?

Congratulations on the first find! It's a great feeling and very addicting!

First, let me assure you that, when you are ready for it, the full version app is much, much better.

Second, get a few more under your belt and try that guard rail one again - they get easier with experience.

Third, a Munzee is a different game (here in Michigan, many cachers do both & post Munzees near caches). They both involve hunting, but Munzees involve using the scanner on your smartphone versus signing a log.

Finally, to log your find (I normally log mine on the full app but you can do it here):

1. Go to geocaching.com and click the Play drop-down menu

2. Locate the cache by searching the GC code or searching by address/postal code, etc

3. When you locate the cache, click the Log Your Visit button on the right

4. Select Found it and enter your comments (a wise cacher advised me to treat the Comments as a mini journal so you can go back and enjoy your logs later)

5. Save

You also have the ability to upload pics to your log too.

Hope this helped!

Edited by scrapcat

Thanks for the congrats and the info Scrapcat,it helped a lot,I was able to record my find.I think I'm already hooked :D . Someone gave me an Explorist 200 GPS,is that a decent one to use,I would actually like to get a nice one that I can send coordinates to in the future,any suggestions?

Sorry, can't help you there. I use my iPhone app and my Magellan Explorist GC. My family seems partial to the Oregon 450 (?).

If you get hooked, do upgrade to a Premium membership so you can upload caches 500 at a time (via pocket queries) versus one at a time.

Congrats on your first find!!!! If you think you will want to continue, I, too, would suggest getting the full app for your phone. You will find yourself doing a quick search wherever you go from now on. It really is an unlimited hobby. You will never run out of caches to find and they are everywhere!

Congrats as well! I cant help you on the gps thing as I don't have one. I do have a piece of advice for you. Look around different geocache shopping websites at the different products available to hide things. i have gone to areas looking for a cache, and couldn't find it. then after looking at the shopping pages of several places for hide containers realized that the cache was in my face the entire time I was there.

Found 3 more today :D Learned some stuff too. The main thing I learned is to check little places that just don't look right :ph34r: Even though I see that it can get a little frustrating,I'm definitely getting hooked

You do start looking at things quite differently - LOL

I also find myself on my way to work passing previously found caches and trying to see if I can spy them.

Welcome to the fun :D Glad to hear someone else is addicted as quickly as we were. One trick to finding some caches is to think "where would I hide it?" Another is to check the logs - the comments evil; tricky; great camo; had me going will let you know it won't be easy.

If something is said to be within 2 metres of a certain rock, ribbon, etc - check that rock or ribbon..there may be a cache attached!

edit to add - when you have time, and a brew in hand, swing over to Geocaching Topics and check out the thread Cool Cache Containers - the ingenuity of some hiders never ceases to amaze me!

Edited by popokiiti