Reporting a cache

Team-Penguin

Hi,

I am a new geocacher and was wondering what to do in a particular situation I have with one of the caches I found. I found the cache without much trouble, but when I opened it, there were a few trinkets and a bag with a log sheet in it. But there was something else. In the cache there was a packaged condom (unused) labeled with the date and place of a sex-ed meeting at a nearby college. I left it in there, not exactly knowing what to do. How do I report it? It's not family-friendly. I need to know how to get the cache reported for the contraband object (the condom).

What's ironic is that this is my first cache I've ever found. Anyway, if someone could give me an answer that would be great.

Thanks,

-the sign painter

NOTE: This issue has been resolved and needs no further discussion.

Edited by The Sign Painter

I would just take it out and toss it in the trash. The cache owner can't really control what other Geocachers put in the cache. All they can do is remove stuff that shouldn't be in it when they find it. (In theory they should check their caches once a month, but I don't know how many actually do that.)

• Upvote 1

I probably would not use it, it could definitely be compromised. I would take it, with out trading, and drop it into the next trash can I come across. I'm sure plenty will chastise me for taking it without trading equal or better, but answer me the question, what is a fair trade for a condom?

Hi,

I am a new geocacher and was wondering what to do in a particular situation I have with one of the caches I found. I found the cache without much trouble, but when I opened it, there were a few trinkets and a bag with a log sheet in it. But there was something else. In the cache there was a packaged condom (unused) labeled with the date and place of a sex-ed meeting at a nearby college. I left it in there, not exactly knowing what to do. How do I report it? It's not family-friendly. I need to know how to get the cache reported for the contraband object (the condom).

What's ironic is that this is my first cache I've ever found. Anyway, if someone could give me an answer that would be great.

Thanks,

-the sign painter

I would email the cache owner, to let them know that their cache has been compromised. Non-cachers find caches, too, and that's what I would assume happened in this case. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was other cachers that put a notice about a "sex-ed meeting" in a cache.

B.

Hi,

Thanks,

-the sign painter

I would email the cache owner, to let them know that their cache has been compromised. Non-cachers find caches, too, and that's what I would assume happened in this case. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it was other cachers that put a notice about a "sex-ed meeting" in a cache.

B.

Heavens no. We all know that cachers don't have sex. Honestly now, why would it be jumping to conclusions to assume that a cacher put something in a cache? It's what we do. While I agree that it's not appropriate for our family friendly game, not everyone sees things the same. It would be perfectly logical to believe that a young cacher from the nearby college left the item. It has happened before.

As I said before, this issue is resolved and merits no further discussion. I will be disposing of the contraband object from the cache today. No further help is needed.

You're new to these forums, aren't you? :D

There's nothing we enjoy better than a good natter/nit-pick on a topic such as what is/isn't appropriate swag.

Onced opened, topics can ramble on indefinitely until we all get bored and it drops off the page out of sight or somebody breaks a forum guideline and a Mod steps in to close it.

Sometimes a Mod will close a topic if the OP (Original Poster) requests them to "Make It So" by clicking a Report button... but not always.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

MrsB :)

Hi,

Thanks,

-the sign painter

B.

Heavens no. We all know that cachers don't have sex. Honestly now, why would it be jumping to conclusions to assume that a cacher put something in a cache? It's what we do. While I agree that it's not appropriate for our family friendly game, not everyone sees things the same. It would be perfectly logical to believe that a young cacher from the nearby college left the item. It has happened before.

As I understand things, cachers are not the product of s.e.x. They spring forth from rainbows, and are found beneath lamp post skirts and in tree stumps.

I might have that mixed up with something else.

An unwrapped condom...not sure how that is so non-"family-friendly". But I guess I can imagine some other truly repulsive things that have been found in caches and reported on these forums.

B.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Thanks,

-the sign painter

B.

As I understand things, cachers are not the product of s.e.x. They spring forth from rainbows, and are found beneath lamp post skirts and in tree stumps.

I might have that mixed up with something else.

An unwrapped condom...not sure how that is so non-"family-friendly". But I guess I can imagine some other truly repulsive things that have been found in caches and reported on these forums.

B.

I interpreted the OP differently. Now, I'm not quite sure what condition the item was in.

To the Original Poster. Welcome to Geocaching. I'm sorry that your first find wasn't what you expected. At least you got it out of the way. Your future finds can only be better.

Edited by Don_J
2 hours ago, gregormckillop said:

Hey chaps totally unrelated but how do I report a compromised cache, it just off a busy public footpath in the entrance of a well known rats nest...?

You don't. You are free to leave that information in your found/note/dnf log to alert others to your information but other than that, there is nothing to "report".

4 hours ago, gregormckillop said:

Hey chaps totally unrelated but how do I report a compromised cache, it just off a busy public footpath in the entrance of a well known rats nest...?

Curious how you came to conclude it's "compromised". 

If the cache has damage, a Needs Maintenance could be added to your find log.  If it's just because something about its location bothers you, just add your concerns in your log.  An email to the cache owner (if still active) would be another way to let them know.     :)

Could you please share the date and place of the sex-ed meeting at the nearby college?  I am asking for a friend!

Just kidding. Please do as you are planning and remove it from the cache. I have found weed and once a pipe in caches before.  It is rare but it does happen.  Seems you just got lucky on your first one.  It doesn't happen often. I hope you will get passed it and keep on caching.