Kitsap County Challenge

jholly

A suggestion has been made about using a Delorme macro to generate the grids for the Thomas Guide squares for this challenge. This work is already completed and is in the GSAK macro library. Look for WATG_Poly_to_Userdata. This macro covers not only Kitsap but also Snohomish, King and Pierce. For examples of the maps generated you can take a look at my profile.

I think this thread may have began as a response to my question. I already have and use the Challenge macros but what I want is the map coordinates for Kitsap County to import as a draw file into Delorme's Topo North American 9. That way I can see where the caches actually lie on the pages and can plan a route accordingly rather than being limited to seeing after the fact what pages I have completed. I will eventually want to use Snohomish and Island Counties as well.

If I could find the appropriate copies of the TG, usually 2008, I could build it myself but those older versions are hard to get a hold of.

Yes, it was in response to your question on the cache page. It was turning into a forum discussion which is frowned on by the frog. But to answer your question on where to get the corners, there are two sources that should be available to you, the WATG_Poly_to_Userdata.gsk macro and the challenge270Beta.gsk macro, both in the GSAK macro library. Both contain the corners of the squares. With the challenge270beta.gsk macro your can install the Groundspeak .kml file and with a refresh have it pop up the caches in the squares. Very handy for planning an outing. The challenge macro has the corners for all the local counties, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Kitsap. I understand the WATG_Poly_to_Userdata.gsk now sports the Island county squares. Probably not exactly what you where looking for, but should be able to get it into the format you want. I've been known to write a GSAK macro to massage the challenge data into formats I need for the maps I have on my profile (linked to from the challenge page).

I have had to convert the coords into a couple differnt formats. My "WATG_Poly" macro and the "Challenge.gsk" use different formatting... How do you need them to look?

WaTG_Poly:

#SnoWaTG-435

47.89750 -122.34500

47.89889 -122.24806

47.84833 -122.24639

47.84694 -122.34306

47.89750 -122.34500

Challenge:

,,,,398,398,48.00306 -122.05583;48.00417 -121.95861;47.95361 -121.95861;47.95250 -122.05583;48.00306 -122.05583

-Stephen

I actually extracted them from the WaTG_Poly macro into Word and after eliminating duplicate coordinates was able to import them from there. It's interesting to note that adjacent pages do not use the same coordinates for their corners so each corner has 2 or more waypoints associated with it. I just went with the coordinates on the edges of the map and drew the lines from there. All I have to do now is import the caches and I have a tool I can use to plan an efficient route while completing the challenge.

KitsapCountyTG.jpgKitsapCountyTGcaches.jpg

I actually extracted them from the WaTG_Poly macro into Word and after eliminating duplicate coordinates was able to import them from there. It's interesting to note that adjacent pages do not use the same coordinates for their corners so each corner has 2 or more waypoints associated with it. I just went with the coordinates on the edges of the map and drew the lines from there. All I have to do now is import the caches and I have a tool I can use to plan an efficient route while completing the challenge.

The corners of those polygons don't meet in perfect crosses because the Thomas Guide's only list the coordiantes of the top of the page and they are not perfect North-South Lines, so the bottom corners (and the page below) don't line up properly. I asked the CO when I created the Macro if he wanted me to fix that, but he wanted to keep it like it was since that's how the Challenge had been verified since it was created.

On the FSG maps I created it was easier to draw perfect corners, so I did, but the polygons that fill the userdata field do not have perfect corners.

The King, Pierce and Island county polygons all have perfect corners. I think Snohomish does as well, but I can't remember 100%

-S