Removing / Deleting unpublished cache

Muxlow

Hi can anyone please tell me how I remove an unpublished cache from my profile I have created a cache and made a mistake while doing so only realising after it had been sent and rightly returned unpublished, I have decided not to go ahead with that particular cache but it still appears on my profile as an unpublished cache.

Thanks for any assistance

Muxlow

There are two things you can do here.

1) Keep it for later use.

It will edit for use for the next cache you hide. Just open it, and click on the "edit listing" link, that will take you back to the cache form, where everything on an unpublished cache can be changed. Type, coords, description.

2) Archive it. An archived unpublished cache will still belong to you, but it won't appear to you in any place that you're apt to notice. Archive is a log type available to owners.

Here's a link to the Knowledge Books article on Managing Your Cache Listing,

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=234

If you archive it, it won't be "sitting there". You'll probably never see it. In fact, it can be rather hard to find.

Here's how to see your archived unpublished caches.

1) Go to your private profile

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx?

2) On the top is are some links:

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours) |

Click on the Geocaches link - NOT (Yours)

You will not find your archived unpublished geocache by looking at Your Geocaches.

This link shows Your Geocaching Details

Your Geocaching Logs This Month (Max 15 Logs Shown)

On the right margin is a navigation box

Your Geocaches Awaiting Publication (Show Archived)<<<< http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx?archived=y

Clicking the (Show Archived) link will add any archived unpublished caches to that list.

The cache title of an archived listing will be shown with strikethrough.

There will be no indication on the other titles, if any, as to whether they're enabled, and thus "awaiting publication" or disabled, and thus invisible to a reviewer.

I believe this is the only place where you can see an archive unpublished cache that you own.

If you archive it, it won't be "sitting there". You'll probably never see it. In fact, it can be rather hard to find.

Here's how to see your archived unpublished caches.

1) Go to your private profile

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx?

2) On the top is are some links:

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours) |

Click on the Geocaches link - NOT (Yours)

You will not find your archived unpublished geocache by looking at Your Geocaches.

This link shows Your Geocaching Details

Your Geocaching Logs This Month (Max 15 Logs Shown)

On the right margin is a navigation box

Your Geocaches Awaiting Publication (Show Archived)<<<< http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx?archived=y

Clicking the (Show Archived) link will add any archived unpublished caches to that list.

The cache title of an archived listing will be shown with strikethrough.

There will be no indication on the other titles, if any, as to whether they're enabled, and thus "awaiting publication" or disabled, and thus invisible to a reviewer.

I believe this is the only place where you can see an archive unpublished cache that you own.

That is a very interesting and helpful page that I have surprisingly never visited. I had forgotten that I had an archived/unpublished cache from early on. That is how well they are hidden. They are not counted in your hidden stats and they will not be returned in a PQ of caches you own.

I had an unpublished cache that I was saving to edit and use the old GC code. When I finally got around to putting the cache out, a reviewer archived the unpublished cache a little bit before. I guess it's really no big deal, since it's just a GC code.

Did they ever tell you why they did that? I can't think of any reason why they would just archive an unpublished cache without your say-so.

They were really old, back when I was just starting, and had placed two caches too close to others. They were from 08 or 09. One was archived in 11, and the other was just a couple weeks ago. I had stopped caching for a while, and just picked it back up about 3 months ago.

I had noticed the latest one wasn't on the side anymore when I went to publish a cache. I just "found" the listing a couple days ago because I wanted to go back and pick up my hidden bison tube.

I had an unpublished cache that I was saving to edit and use the old GC code. When I finally got around to putting the cache out, a reviewer archived the unpublished cache a little bit before. I guess it's really no big deal, since it's just a GC code.

Did they ever tell you why they did that? I can't think of any reason why they would just archive an unpublished cache without your say-so.

They were really old, back when I was just starting, and had placed two caches too close to others. They were from 08 or 09. One was archived in 11, and the other was just a couple weeks ago. I had stopped caching for a while, and just picked it back up about 3 months ago.

The reviewer probably noticed the disabled listing while reviewing. Saw that it had been disabled years back for a saturation error and archived it. Had gustav129 been a regular cache placer at that point, it's possible that the reviewer would first have posted to the cache page and asked about their intentions. Or not, you can't use a listing to "dibs" an invalid spot. Ie, the cache when submitted had a saturation error. Some reviewers will archive these with something like, "If you were planning to enable or activate this cache in the near future, please let me know and I'll be happy to unarchive it."

This to keep these old caches from blocking new caches later. Had gustav129 edit the coords to the mid-Atlantic, that cache would probably never be seen, and he'd still have the listing for use now.

Whenever I disable an unpublished cache, my disable log says, "I will archive the listing in a couple of months if it doesn't get published. " And I do.

Old unpublished listings are starting to pile up - some of them have never been enabled. They litter the landscape with caches that require a reviewer to hold publication of new hide while checking with on the intentions of the owner of the older cache. Often, their "intentions" are that they stopped caching a while back... in the meantime, the active owner of the new cache is waiting, waiting....

Exactly. That's why it's no big deal to me. The only differnce I see is my newly submitted caches will have GC3xxxx instead of the two GC1xxxx's I had. I wasn't leaving them to "secure" a spot, I just tapered off quite a bit (log a cache or TB maybe every 2-3 months). At that time I didn't even realize I could go back and use them for new caches, just edit it. I thought, "Oh it's reviewed, and turned down. That's the end of that". I probably would have used them back then if I knew that.

Some reviewers will archive these with something like' date=' "If you were planning to enable or activate this cache in the near future, please let me know and I'll be happy to unarchive it." [/quote']

That was posted in the one that was just archived. But is it really worth having it un archived? How much server space does it take up. Who knows how much server space would be freed up if people were to use one of thier old archived unpublished caches instead of submitting a new one. One or two per cacher, and you might be able to knock out thousands of archives that really don't need to be there.

Edited by gustav129