INSANE Train Cache Trip

Super excited for our road trip that starts tomorrow headed down to route 66. As of now it is 5 days 9 states 3,000 miles and over a 1,000 caches. I have a blog set up that you can follow us on google latitude if you want just go to that post page and refresh it. We will head out at 6pm Pacific time and be on our way. I use Neongeo when I have data signal or you can check the blog posts. http://mrquads.blogspot.com/ is a link to my blog about geocaching that I started for this trip.

Super excited for our road trip that starts tomorrow headed down to route 66. As of now it is 5 days 9 states 3,000 miles and over a 1,000 caches. I have a blog set up that you can follow us on google latitude if you want just go to that post page and refresh it. We will head out at 6pm Pacific time and be on our way. I use Neongeo when I have data signal or you can check the blog posts. http://mrquads.blogspot.com/ is a link to my blog about geocaching that I started for this trip.

How do you get the train to stop so you can find the caches? :D

Sounds like a phenomenal trip!

You're traveling that close to Potter's Pond (GC3B) and not stopping so you can complete a Jasmer Challenge? Are you insane?

LOL! Yeah, I guess that is why they call it the insane train. But in all fairness I believe Brad snagged that one last year when he had a campout event at Potter's Pond.

Very cool sounding trip. :D

It does sound cool but personally I wouldn't place so much emphasis on finding 1000 caches.

I'd love to cache by train all over Europe. Some day we really like do a canal boat rental (in the UK or Midi canal in France) and spend a couple of weeks traveling the canals, and stopping in little villages along the way and find a few caches.

It does sound cool but personally I wouldn't place so much emphasis on finding 1000 caches.

I'd love to cache by train all over Europe. Some day we really like do a canal boat rental (in the UK or Midi canal in France) and spend a couple of weeks traveling the canals, and stopping in little villages along the way and find a few caches.

Kind of hard to avoid that number if your doing Route 66. 800 caches there plus easily 150 more in the immediate area. I believe Route 66 was the focus of the trip.

Kind of hard to avoid that number if your doing Route 66. 800 caches there plus easily 150 more in the immediate area. I believe Route 66 was the focus of the trip.

It's *very* easy to avoid those types of numbers. You just don't stop for them.

It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to avoid doing 1000 caches and still do some geocaching along route 66. If I were driving along route 66 in that area I might try to find a cache every 2-3 miles instead of stopping every .1 of a mile. I'd rather enjoy the journey and find a 100 caches than try to find 1000. But that's my preference and I suspect that the OP is going to enjoy the trip no matter how many caches they find.

It's *very* easy to avoid those types of numbers. You just don't stop for them.

Sigh.

okay so let's see by your calculations if I stop every 2 to 3 miles because you do not like power trails that let's just say we'd stop every 3 mile we are driving 3000 miles over our trip divide that by 3. it is still 1000 caches :). If you read all the blog posts you will see this was not my idea but something I have to live with :)

You're traveling that close to Potter's Pond (GC3B) and not stopping so you can complete a Jasmer Challenge? Are you insane?

LOL! Yeah, I guess that is why they call it the insane train. But in all fairness I believe Brad snagged that one last year when he had a campout event at Potter's Pond.

I didn't see a found log by them on the cache page, that's why I asked. But I see they've changed plans to get it - so only a little insane.

kinda just is insane as the whole trip we will be hiking to potters pond approximately 6 am in the morning after driving all night long with no sleep

It's not much of a hike, it's the drive up that takes longer. But you will go insane if you try to pick up the Ninja cache on the way up.

It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to avoid doing 1000 caches and still do some geocaching along route 66. If I were driving along route 66 in that area I might try to find a cache every 2-3 miles instead of stopping every .1 of a mile. I'd rather enjoy the journey and find a 100 caches than try to find 1000. But that's my preference and I suspect that the OP is going to enjoy the trip no matter how many caches they find.

I did that entire section of RT66 when there were only about eight caches on it. It was time well spent.

Someday I think it would be fun to drive Route 66 and snag caches along the way... though I'd probably get bored after the first few hundreds and start doing something else. :laughing:

It would be impossible to do such a trip for the numbers in Europe tho, train or boat involved, as over half the caches over here in most countries are either multis or unknowns. Someone just posted a great series on the canal connecting Amsterdam to the Rhine River, all unknowns, and the amount of time it will take for me to solve the puzzles will far outstrip the amount of time it takes for me to find the caches themselves!

Awesome blog writing quad! Looks like you're having a great time! As for this:

"in Winslow Arizona do not ever stay at Americas best value inn," it sounds like you need to add a Trip Advisor review of their service! Good for you for not letting a schmuck ruin your trip!

Keep up the caching fun!

The train has returned. It was fun and cant wait for the next adventure.

Hay Jester Potters Pond area is a place that you could spend a week or two it is awesome! I would suggest after this trip break up your trip into two trips so you can enjoy it more. I will be back to that area, MOAB and Arizona it is way to cool to drive through.

Edited by quadsinthemudd

Someday I think it would be fun to drive Route 66 and snag caches along the way... though I'd probably get bored after the first few hundreds and start doing something else. :laughing:

It would be impossible to do such a trip for the numbers in Europe tho, train or boat involved, as over half the caches over here in most countries are either multis or unknowns. Someone just posted a great series on the canal connecting Amsterdam to the Rhine River, all unknowns, and the amount of time it will take for me to solve the puzzles will far outstrip the amount of time it takes for me to find the caches themselves!

The section of Route 66 that the trail is on is a deserted stretch that is not that cool. Arizona has some great little towns like Seligman. It was more fun going to places like that and getting 30 caches in a day than the power trail for me but if it wasnt for the power trail we never would have gone.