Help needed: Anybody know where to lease,rent,or borrow?

Followers 0

Hello all,

My son is just getting into scouting.So me being "Mr Dad", one of my jobs this year,is to plan an activity for our pack. I had an idea about teaching the scouts about GPS along with compass and map reading.I have a mapping and compass background from the Search and Rescue team I was on for several years. I have found a few resources ,but none for obtaining the GPS unit itself. Does anyone know where we could lease, rent ,or borrow 8 to 12 GPS units? Alot of people I know have them,but they are all differn't makes and models, and I don't really want to ask to borrow from them.I am looking for an organization that does just this. Any help or ideas would be GREATLY Appreciated.

(apologies for any bad spelling,we just got back from an all night scouting event, aka 24 hrs of no sleep! )

why not try calling garmin or magellan? They get thousands of units traded in and may be willing to give or loan some of them to a deserving group like the scouts. Good PR for them, and the traded in units probably get thrown out anyway. you never know unless you ask. Garmin seems to be really keen on good PR. try them first.......

BeDoggy

That is specific to Iowa... The Iowa Space Grant Consortium has provided kits of 10 GPSRs to all Area Education Agencies and that probably includes the Community Colleges and those kits are available to "check-out" for educational purposes. Or you can try to purchase a kit from ISGC, but they told me that they are very backed up with requests. Send me a private message and I'll get you contact information for ISGC, if you like to try. But the ISGC is travelling the country teaching GPS skills to teachers and helping with developing activities for teachers in lots of disciplines and skill levels. Its a fantastic program that is very popular.

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I run a Scout Troop in Nevada. Our sponser of the Troop donated 12 Etrex to us. You might ask at your local council to see if there is a troop that has a few you can borrow. If you were close I would be willing to help.

Followers 0