Google maps are back

I am less overjoyed with their return. I was getting used to the old ones, and really enjoyed having county lines on the maps. It's too bad we can't have the other ones as an option.

On the left hand pane is a "Map Preferences" button. Selecting it allows you to choose between Google and the Leaflet maps.

I am less overjoyed with their return. I was getting used to the old ones, and really enjoyed having county lines on the maps. It's too bad we can't have the other ones as an option.

On the left hand pane is a "Map Preferences" button. Selecting it allows you to choose between Google and the Leaflet maps.

Yup. And all of my Greasemonkey maps are still there when I switch to Leaflet maps... best of both worlds!

Well done, Groundspeak. Sorry about the bad initial roll-out, but thanks for pulling it quickly and re-doing it right. This is nice.

Thanks, back to Leaflet maps for me. :D

Never saw that before. Thanks!

Thanks, back to Leaflet maps for me. :D

Me too...

Woohoo, I was on the map today and thought, wow, these are so much better!

Then I realized that yes, we are back to the google maps!

Thanks GS!

(And thanks for the options too, so that those who prefer others may choose differently, or so bike routes and things can be used!)

Great to have an old friend back!!! Unfortunately, they only worked for a short while. This AM was able to view Cache locations (symbols) both on street maps and satellite views, on my PC. The smile on my face did not last long however. Soon the symbols disappeared from both street map and satellite views. Tried reloading the maps, searching using different methods and searching with my IPAD 2 without success.

Great to see an old friend however he just doesn't seem like the old buddy I once knew.

Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any solutions? Groundspeak can you hear me???

Is there somewhere I can read the "back story" or did GS just end up paying Google for the maps?

This is all the back story we have, 2 posts from Jeremy back in April:

Post 1

Post 2

Presumably, by limiting it to premium members, they were able to reduce the number of map hits to something that was manageable. They may also have negotiated a better deal with Google than the public cost figures we were all using.

I love to see the google maps back because I just love google. But what are some of the reasons everyone loves the google map over the other ones? Is it that the google maps are updated and clear? Also If you ever want a clear and different angle when you are zoomed in on satellite(outside of geocaching) use Microsofts Bing Maps. They call it birds eye views. Just gives it a different look.

I love to see the google maps back because I just love google. But what are some of the reasons everyone loves the google map over the other ones? Is it that the google maps are updated and clear? Also If you ever want a clear and different angle when you are zoomed in on satellite(outside of geocaching) use Microsofts Bing Maps. They call it birds eye views. Just gives it a different look.

The satellite imagery is clearer.

The map view shows the parks in green, which indicates the boundaries, and it gives the name of the park.

Some local businesses are also listed, so I have some landmarks.

The pages load quicker and better, without the missing tiles.

But what are some of the reasons everyone loves the google map over the other ones?

I think the main reason was that the Mapquest Aerial images were either poor or non-existant for most areas outside the US. The Google satellite images are much better and cover many more areas. I'll probably just stick with the OSM maps, because they're very well-populated in my area and show most parks and trails, which is what I care about most. It will be handy, though, to be able to switch to Google and use the satellite view for other areas.

I'm very happy the Google maps are back! :D The OSM maps had some serious issues, like not showing a large lake in southern Oklahoma (Lake Murray) for instance. Kudos to TPTB for making it right. B)

Lake and river placement seems to be the Leaflet map's Achilles heel. I have come across a number of Corps of Engineer lakes, which used to show up just fine on Google maps. On Leaflet maps sometimes they would only partially display, sometimes they would display only as a river, and sometimes there would be no body of water whatsoever. And I'm not talking about new lakes. Jordan Lake, Alabama, was impounded in 1928, and it only half displays. Lake Martin, Alabama, was impounded in 1926 and is one of the biggest manmade lakes in the US, and it doesn't show up on Leaflet maps at all.

I'll miss county lines a little, I guess, but it's nice having accurate maps back. Many, MANY thanks to Groundspeak for working this out with Google.

But what are some of the reasons everyone loves the google map over the other ones?

I think the main reason was that the Mapquest Aerial images were either poor or non-existant for most areas outside the US. The Google satellite images are much better and cover many more areas. I'll probably just stick with the OSM maps, because they're very well-populated in my area and show most parks and trails, which is what I care about most. It will be handy, though, to be able to switch to Google and use the satellite view for other areas.

Yup. I'd much rather have the osm maps. Love having the trails and topos...

Before the Google Maps return, I had trouble at times getting portions of the Mapquest maps to show. The Leaflet maps were also all a lot slower then Google maps, the Aerial views were really old with low zoom levels in some areas, and no Hybrid view. I basically stopped searching for caches on the site because the maps were so bad. I just downloaded my pocket queries and looked at them on my phone or in GSAK. (Google's satellite view rocks because they've basically got their own satellite.) Since my Geocaching app uses OSM maps, (which ATM I have to pre-download) I actually have the trails on my app when out Geocaching, not that most locations I've gone Geocaching in even have trails. Not a long distance hiker type.

Yup. I'd much rather have the osm maps. Love having the trails and topos...

I also tend to use the OSM maps more than the Google satellite view for the main map page when looking for caches in an area. I find that the cache icons are more visible on the OSM maps. I also find that rather than switching from the OSM maps to the Google maps to get a lay of the land for a specific cache I click on the icon, note the name, owner, D/T ratings, etc., then if it looks interesting I click on the name to get to the cache page listing where I can read the full description. From there I use the Google Maps link to see the cache area with a satellite view.

Great to have an old friend back!!! Unfortunately, they only worked for a short while. This AM was able to view Cache locations (symbols) both on street maps and satellite views, on my PC. The smile on my face did not last long however. Soon the symbols disappeared from both street map and satellite views. Tried reloading the maps, searching using different methods and searching with my IPAD 2 without success.

Great to see an old friend however he just doesn't seem like the old buddy I once knew.

Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any solutions? Groundspeak can you hear me???

UPDATE: Seem to be working fine now. However you may want to stay tuned!!!

I'm very happy the Google maps are back! :D The OSM maps had some serious issues, like not showing a large lake in southern Oklahoma (Lake Murray) for instance. Kudos to TPTB for making it right. B)

Lake and river placement seems to be the Leaflet map's Achilles heel. I have come across a number of Corps of Engineer lakes, which used to show up just fine on Google maps. On Leaflet maps sometimes they would only partially display, sometimes they would display only as a river, and sometimes there would be no body of water whatsoever. And I'm not talking about new lakes. Jordan Lake, Alabama, was impounded in 1928, and it only half displays. Lake Martin, Alabama, was impounded in 1926 and is one of the biggest manmade lakes in the US, and it doesn't show up on Leaflet maps at all.

I'll miss county lines a little, I guess, but it's nice having accurate maps back. Many, MANY thanks to Groundspeak for working this out with Google.

Is it there now?

Edited by ras_oscar

Having trouble clicking on caches. Sometimes just zooms in. Refreshing maps seems to sort it out, but it's annoying.

If it is zooming in, it sounds like you are double-clicking, which would be the problem. Try just clicking once on the cache icon.

I have been having same problem. Just go slow over the icon when you see the name pop up, click left click the icon.

The finger won't show up but a good chance that the bubble will open. Slowly! just be patient. Hey Groundspeak somebody needs to look at this problem.

Is it there now?

If you're asking about Lake Martin, nope.

Here's a screenshot of the Leaflet map viewing where most of Lake Martin should be. Lots of white space. (Though notice at the bottom that it even SAYS "Martin Lake.")

c3aeb86d-890a-4128-85ad-dccca92eeda5.jpg

Now here's a screenshot of Lake Martin using Google maps. Aaahhhh. A nice, blue lake with nice, accurate shorelines.

69a45ac9-5f7f-4cbd-8fb3-8d38af5bcae7.jpg

I have also found the icons to be tough to click on sometimes. I don't know if the hotspot is too small, or what it is, but it can be very fussy sometimes trying to get the info balloon to pop up.

The biggest problem is that we are dealing with a hand cursor. Give me a pointer so I can point. I too have found that the right spot is where the tooltip appears.

I have also found the icons to be tough to click on sometimes. I don't know if the hotspot is too small, or what it is, but it can be very fussy sometimes trying to get the info balloon to pop up.

The biggest problem is that we are dealing with a hand cursor. Give me a pointer so I can point. I too have found that the right spot is where the tooltip appears.

I literally clicked each teeny spot within the cache icon. No go. I cannot click on ANY cache on the cache page!! Not on my windows computer anyway. Thank goodness for my iPad, as it's the only way I can access caches on any map.

The one thing that was very nice about Leaflet over Google (as far as the new option) is you could hold down shift and draw a zoom box with Leaflet. There is no zoom box option that I know of with Google, at least not that is turned on anyway.