What's your favorite cache container?

My two favorite containers that I hid were:

1. an OREO cookie game piece (you can fold up a log and hide it inside!)

2. A very very cool wine bottle-size blue glass root beer bottle with a Dragon design on it, that we got from the Medieval Fair. I had to archive the cache due to erosion in the area, but that was a super cool container which I'd love to use again sometime. It had a stopper and a hinge and it was very tricky to open and close that bottle.

I like finding lock-n-locks better than ammo cans since sometimes the ammo cans are hard to open and sometimes the lid slips out of place and I have to figure out how to reassemble it.

I've had very good luck with the half and gallon size plastic storage containers sold at wally world. They are in the tupperware aisle of the store. They have screw on lids with wide mouths and are inexpensive. Have several out and can't remember ever having any problem with water getting inside any of them.

2. A very very cool wine bottle-size blue glass root beer bottle with a Dragon design on it, that we got from the Medieval Fair. I had to archive the cache due to erosion in the area, but that was a super cool container which I'd love to use again sometime. It had a stopper and a hinge and it was very tricky to open and close that bottle.

Dunno 'bout the bottle, but it is a Grolsch stopper/cap. Grolsch Brewery circa 1650 or so, still producing.

Grolsch-style caps are still available. Some homebrewers use 'em.

If the bottle is early original, it is worth something. Not likely however, being blue glass.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

my fav is a cache that is well maintenance and keep water out.

Ammo can isnt on my top of the list, I find them, yep, BORING.

SwinefFlew, there must not be much Hamstercaching going on in your part of the world...

4wheelin_fool, you wrote of film cans,"They are a little crunchy but pretty good with a bit of hot sauce and a cold glass of Yuengling." Film cans? though I can appreciate the mold may build to a level of nutritive excellence, your post calls up Hamstercaching to me, as well.. (a pepper in the body cavity, bacon wrapped, fried, and boy those little guys slide down fine...) Of course, half the time someone has swapped a cockroach for a hamster, the usual swag degradation; cockroaches being harder to prepare.

But no worse then film cans...and roaches will stand up a long time in an ammo can. Great for those remote, rarely found hides.

I'm interested to hear what your favorites are

As an owner, I like ammo cans, minimal maintenance.

As a finder, I'm not picky. My preference is for any maintained container - damp or even wet is okay, just about everything will be at summer's end - but year old soggy experiments in mold growth aren't enticing.

My maintenance expectations aren't terribly high either...but if the last 4 finders have whined about the broken lid, and the unsignable log, then it's really time to for the cache owner to act.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Dunno 'bout the bottle, but it is a Grolsch stopper/cap. Grolsch Brewery circa 1650 or so, still producing.

Not just Grolsch. It's a swing-top bottle -- ceramic lid with a rubber gasket, held on by metal hinge -- and they are still pretty common in Europe.

buebleflasche.jpg

I always associate Allgäuer Brauhaus's Büble Bier with the swing top. The old ad campaign was "Plop das Büble" (literally, "pop the boy"). Kind of odd when you sit back and think about it.

For micros, my favorite container is the PET preform: I've had some sit for a couple years without being found and the log has been pristine. Not a claim that most micros can echo, including match safes.

For smalls, decon containers work ok, IF people close them correctly. (Which, unfortunately, doesn't always happen.)

For regular containers, nothing beats an ammo can.