1 Tracking # for whole coin collection

NASA*

Has anyone thought of a way to maybe attach a dog tag to their coin collection and when the dog tag is logged all of the coins in the collection is automatically logged instead of having to log each one individually?

Who would want that? Each coin is different, so I think each should have its own tracking number.

There's nothing stopping you from attaching a TB to your collection as a whole, but I don't think that will go over well with others. Just my thoughts on the matter.

if i understand right, you would like to automatically discover (and recieve icons,) for an entire coin collection by just entering one tracking number instead of having to log each individual tracking number...sort of let geocaching do the work..sound right?

ILYK

if i understand right, you would like to automatically discover (and recieve icons,) for an entire coin collection by just entering one tracking number instead of having to log each individual tracking number...sort of let geocaching do the work..sound right?

ILYK

That's how I read it also...

ILYK

That's how I read it also...

That's the way I read it too. I've thought that would be pretty cool sometimes (like when loggIng the collections of certain coiners we all know! :) )

I don't think it's very practical though. Setting aside the programming challenges, it would require those of us with a lot of coins to keep accurate and up to date lists of what we have. I don't think most of us are that organized. I know I'm not!

Copy&Paste is bad enough, now a programm to automaticly do this? No, thank you.

I like to read discoverlogs, but not, when they all are copy and paste.

If it is too much "work" to enter the tracking codes of an entire collection, than pick one or two rare coins out of the collection and discover those.

I don't think it's very practical though. Setting aside the programming challenges, it would require those of us with a lot of coins to keep accurate and up to date lists of what we have. I don't think most of us are that organized. I know I'm not!

What exactly do you mean by organised?

My activated coins are all seperate in a box with coin trays, that's quite orderly.

My unactivated coins reside in Lock&Lock boxes, on the aquarium, dresser, side table, nightstand, windowsill, desk, you name it. My friend complained once, that there are coins everywhere in the house exept the kitchen... :grin:

There is software that makes it easier to log discoveries. You still have to enter the numbers at some point, but you can use a single text file as your source and the s/w does all the time consuming work of logging them on gc.com. islander1988 wrote the program a few years back and I am pretty sure he has kept it up to date with the API changes that Groundspeak has made.

ILYK

Yes you are right...... I know several cachers who have more than 1000 coins each. I do understand some people do not care for cut and paste logs, but I am sure those that bring the entire collection to an event expect that.