What to buy?

Followers 0

I am a 4th and 5th grade Special Education teacher in texas working with emotionally disturbed children. I use a lot of technology in my classroom and find it a godsend in working with these kids.

I want to expose them to GPS technology and thought Geocaching would be the trick. I need cheap and easy GPS for these guys as not only do they have behavior problems, they have certain learning disabilities, as well.

Any suggestions as to what GPS unit to shhot for and any other suggestions, would be most appreciated! icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

Casey

unfortunatly GPSr units have small buttons and multiple screens that can be a challange even to those with high frustration thresholds.

I would advise a couple of Garmin eTrex "Yellows" - which are very cheap (used).

They have "only" 5 buttons and "only" 4 screens, as opposed to 8 buttons + a joystick and 6 (+1) screens for a Garmin 76S.

Also, when the unit gets tossed in frustration (something that even the "high threshold" folks have been known to do) the "yellow" stands a very good chance of living through the experience and if broken does not set you back large $$.

Check in the used equipment area and you should be able to find a couple of "yellows" for very small $$.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Raouljan

Thanks some very good advice. I hadn't thought so much about durability, but as you say, us "high threshold" folks, me being one, need that extra bounce or two before they crater.

I have found the GPS market to be confusing. The "yellow" part I can handle!

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.

Casey

Hi Casey

The Gecko range by Garmin are even cheaper than the Garmin Etrex Yellow.

They are smaller and very suitable for kids from what I've seen

Kind regards

Tim

www.musto.net

quote:
Originally posted by Go Irish:

Any suggestions as to what GPS unit to shhot for and any other suggestions, would be most appreciated! icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

Casey

I would have to go with the Geko as well, but a GPS with a "Go to" button would be EXTREMLY helpful. The kids would simply hit the go to button to start off toward the next cache instead of scrolling to the menue page and then going through several other steps to select the next wavepoint. Unfortunatly the Geko does not have that feature. icon_frown.gif

Go Irish; I got a dozen yellows for my summerschool class. They worked great, kids had no probs with the technology. However, given your population, you may consider the Garmin Rhino with the radio and ability to track everyone's location. I had a couple of kids I called Lewis & Clark for their propensity to just head out and explore. There were a couple of times when I wished I knew exactly where they were (near cliffs, etc.). You'll pay more for the Rhinos but I highly recommend them for your ED kids. Don't worry about them learning how to use them, they're pre-wired for this! Good luck and have a ball! Go Bucky!

If you read bad things about education, thank a teacher.

Followers 0