Don't bury geocaches.

JohnX

I found this picture on another site. I don't think I will be trying to log that cache:

Did you sign the physical log without getting blown to smithereens? If so, I think you should go ahead and post a Found It log on the cache page.

On the other hand, if you were blown to smithereens before you had a chance to sign, I think you should just log a DNF. Or maybe a note, if you think that would be more appropriate.

That does appear to be a buried aerial bomb... Then again, it could be something else entirely, but from what is visible of the object in the picture, it definitely looks like a bomb. My advice would be to go back to where you found it, take pictures and coordinates, and notify the police so that they can have the bomb squad take a look at it. Although you wouldn't think so, those can detonate even after all of these years having been stuck there, buried. I suggest notifying the police; maybe even offer to take them to it.

WWII 500 pound bomb.

I'm no expert. But it looks close enough that I'd probably notify authorities. It may be a sand filled practice bomb, but who knows?

There is a rather large (but shallow) pond here in RI that was used by WWII naval pilots to ditch bombs/torpedos if there were issues prior to landing at Quonset NAS. Every so often one is located, and the Navy comes in straps a charge to it to destroy it.

(Edit to remove pic from quote)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

WWII 500 pound bomb.

I'm no expert. But it looks close enough that I'd probably notify authorities. It may be a sand filled practice bomb, but who knows?

There is a rather large (but shallow) pond here in RI that was used by WWII naval pilots to ditch bombs/torpedos if there were issues prior to landing at Quonset NAS. Every so often one is located, and the Navy comes in straps a charge to it to destroy it.

(Edit to remove pic from quote)

This is the unusual case of someone possibly mistaking an actual Bomb for a Geocache (where are the Boston Police, now?!?) That the body of the bomb is subsurface suggests burying and I can see a line of reasoning (the sort which occurs on the trail) 'Could that be part of it? Let's give it a tug' Next thing you know bits of your former corporeal self are landing across the country side and you're now strumming a GPS enabled harp.

Keep in mind there are people all over the place who think a duct-taped nut jar is some kind of explosive, but they wouldn't know an aerial bomb, torpedo, cluster bomb or one of those nasty little things the Japanese attached to balloons, durring WWII, which landed across the Pacific Northwest (any of which could still be active today.)

From WIVB.com

Old grenade found in a NY park

Updated: Wednesday, 23 May 2012, 9:26 AM EDT

Published : Wednesday, 23 May 2012, 9:26 AM EDT

Kevin Rhoney

CORTLANDT, N.Y. (AP) - Police are trying to find out how a rusty grenade ended up in a suburban New York park.

State police say two residents were strolling along a wooded path behind a ball field in Cortlandt on Tuesday when they made the discovery.

The bomb squad was summoned, along with a K-9 trained in explosives detection. The park was declared safe and reopened.

Police are investigating who left it there, and how long ago.

I can't help but wonder how far the nearest cache is to the place this grenade was found.

From WIVB.com

Kevin Rhoney

CORTLANDT, N.Y. (AP) - Police are trying to find out how a rusty grenade ended up in a suburban New York park.

State police say two residents were strolling along a wooded path behind a ball field in Cortlandt on Tuesday when they made the discovery.

The bomb squad was summoned, along with a K-9 trained in explosives detection. The park was declared safe and reopened.

I can't help but wonder how far the nearest cache is to the place this grenade was found.

My 6th teacher, a Korean War vet, kept a (disarmed) hand grenade on his desk. He also had a wooden paddle, and knew how to use it. On the boys and on the girls. He would be soooo locked up if that were today!! :lol:

According to the linked reddit comments that picture was taken in the Palatinate Forest in Germany. The person who posted the picture said that he/she has notified the authorities and provided them with coordinates.

There is a wreck that I regularly dive in Nantucket Sound that has very visible and live 5 inch artillery shells present. Most divers leave the artillery shells alone and they recover the "safer" white phosphorous bricks.

(Which brings up the reminder if you recover white wax bricks as souvenirs, bring a Nerf football to plug the hole in your hull when the wax melts in the sun and the brick burns through the bench and multiple decks...)

To be fair, I visited multiple torpedoes, hedgehogs and depth charges at one of my caches but there haven't been too many cachers that visited the actual site 130 feet below the ocean surface.

I found this picture on another site. I don't think I will be trying to log that cache:

http://imgur.com/AIlhW

Interesting link... In all the commentary, I didn't see anyone mention the other (at least two) pieces of something or other on the ground just beyond the primary focus of tail fin box and access hatch. One looks like an anti tank mine roughly. Or a nose piece minus a fairing, just the fusing block. The other piece looks like a cross section view. Perhaps this thing broke up on hitting the ground (dud).

Not uncommon in ETO countries. As someone on there stated, they still find live WW I ordnance in France.

Doug 7rxc

From WIVB.com

Kevin Rhoney

And I can't help but wonder if the coppers figured out who left it and how long ago :laughing:

Edited by GrateBear