Some people have no shame!

I am not going to mention any names (Geonick here), however, after seeing my trading cards, emailing me and telling me how nice they are, and then denying me the right to create a free trading card of the COPYRIGHTED Can of Beans, the person went ahead and created one to make a profit! Shame on that person! And then made a post on the Geowoodstock event (Shameless plug): http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=00549ab9-9c74-4913-b76d-e58968ca5dc4

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/e5d4693e-8200-41aa-b1bb-e0d6fe24388a.jpg

I am working on a Geocaching History Series of cards (Not for profit). I was interested in making a card related to the original can of beans. Here was the persons response:

"Thanks for the info about the trading cards, I just may get a run of them made for GeoWoodstock coming up. Sorry to say, yes, I would be against anyone making an OCB card as I am having an order of them made up for GeoWoodstock. Additional cards by other geocachers would decrease the rarity and potential value of my cards."

I am not going to mention any names (Geonick here), however, after seeing my trading cards, emailing me and telling me how nice they are, and then denying me the right to create a free trading card of the COPYRIGHTED Can of Beans, the person went ahead and created one to make a profit! Shame on that person! And then made a post on the Geowoodstock event (Shameless plug): http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=00549ab9-9c74-4913-b76d-e58968ca5dc4

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/e5d4693e-8200-41aa-b1bb-e0d6fe24388a.jpg

I am working on a Geocaching History Series of cards (Not for profit). I was interested in making a card related to the original can of beans. Here was the persons response:

"Thanks for the info about the trading cards, I just may get a run of them made for GeoWoodstock coming up. Sorry to say, yes, I would be against anyone making an OCB card as I am having an order of them made up for GeoWoodstock. Additional cards by other geocachers would decrease the rarity and potential value of my cards."

I really can't figure out who is more shameful here.. you or the other guy. It's a tossup.

I really can't figure out who is more shameful here.. you or the other guy. It's a tossup.

Why, cause i create cards for not for profit to give away at events and place in caches. Where did i go wrong?

The person also used my vendor that i use for creating cards. He is pathetic!

Edited by GeoLobo

Why, cause i create cards for not for profit to give away at events and polace in caches. Where did i go wrong?

Calling the act of trying to make a profit shameful says more about you than it does about him. If there were a true copyright or trademark violation here I'd be all in. But I ain't seeing it.

Wow, what a can of beans. Its absolutely incredible how a single can can contribute so much to global warming.

Not the can, but the holder of. I really think this is an anti-geocaching thing. The game is effectively for everyone and the can was left by Dave Ulmer for the benefit of a finder (and trader) using the can to make money and bar someone else from using a photo (assuming they took the photo themselves and is thus their property) is not quite the friendly, sharing attitude I associate with the spirit of the game.

Why, cause i create cards for not for profit to give away at events and polace in caches. Where did i go wrong?

Calling the act of trying to make a profit shameful says more about you than it does about him. If there were a true copyright or trademark violation here I'd be all in. But I ain't seeing it.

Im not claiming a copyright violation. Please pay attention! I respectively asked this person about creating a card related to his so called copyright on the can of beans. He instead, took my idea and ran with it too make a profit. - Enough said

Why not make your own? It was actually a can of black eye peas. If you watch Dave Ulmer's video closely you may actually catch the brand. Buy an identical can from the store, take a photo and BINGO!, you have your own copyrighted image.

Edited by briansnat

I still might Brian <smile>. I just thought it was shameless when 1.) he copyrighted the idea of the can, 2.) when he drags it around the events and sells his trinkets related to it, and 3.) now this.....taking my idea and running with it, (even using my own vendor), after i kinding asked him to allow me to make one.

As far as I can tell, a rusty can of beans cannot be copyrighted. What can be copyrighted is the picture of the COB. Simple solution? Get your own photo of the COB (or a photo taken by someone who will give you permission to use it).

Only problem with Brian's idea, if you really want to worry about copyright, is that the label on the beans (peas) is a trademark. Not that I think the company'd do anything about it, but technically...

As far as I can tell, a rusty can of beans cannot be copyrighted. What can be copyrighted is the picture of the COB. Simple solution? Get your own photo of the COB (or a photo taken by someone who will give you permission to use it).

Only problem with Brian's idea, if you really want to worry about copyright, is that the label on the beans (peas) is a trademark. Not that I think the company'd do anything about it, but technically...

There are some Fair Use avenues to explore. As long as you are not using the photo of a can of Black Eyed Peas to sell your own peas, you're pretty safe. Satire/parody is also covered, but not what I think GeoLobo have in mind.

I read your post through a few times and still don't quite understand the problem. Does vendor mean printer? I can't imagine patronizing the same print shop as someone else would be shameful.

Stealing someone's idea for your own profit is an American Tradition (not that I'm saying Team 360 has indeed, but there's buck loads of precedent, look at the Weed Whacker.)

Simple case of getting burned by taking the high road GeoLobo. You did the right thing and asked for permission when you didn't have to (no commercial gain). By him blatantly copying your idea it shows a lack of respect but also validates the good idea you have. I don't think NOT having that same picture will detract from your cards - just reproduce the picture of a can of beans as mentioned. (Now if the original item was a Patek Philippe watch you may have had a harder time). Hopefully calling him out in a public forum will deter further similar actions. Good luck!

I feel for you GeoLobo but The Black Eye Peas are correct and you will have one up on them. The other issue is they didn't say they were selling them but if you did find where they are selling them any where on the site then you have a cause to bring up to GS, cause that is like when another geocacher posted selling their coins in logs during the 10 year anniversary in 10-10-10 Event logs. Saying in events all over "I would love to go to your event but can't make it but view my profile and look at my geocoins".

I read your post through a few times and still don't quite understand the problem. Does vendor mean printer? I can't imagine patronizing the same print shop as someone else would be shameful.

Maybe you need to read it again! Thats fine though, if you all think its a great idea that this person does this. Maybe you are the perfect type of people to buy his cards, and i can stop making the cards i make and distribute for free.

Have a great day!

It is well known that (at least to me it was) "that guy" had the phrase Original Can of Beans copywrited. He's banned from these forums for life, but he reads them. So he hears you. :lol:

He went there and dug them up himself, when he was one of the people installing the original stash tribute plaque. There's a video out there, I'm sure.