Google Maps are back. But broken.

collapsibletank

It's kinda nice to see Google Maps back on the website (although the workarounds we all found worked better...!)

However, search seems to be broken. I've tried it on Chrome and Internet Explorer. Also, although I'm logged in and have my location set as Exeter, UK, my map starts at Seattle, USA! Although there are preferences that mirror some of the Chrome Geocaching Map Enhancements extension, there does not seem to be a preference for setting the start location.

It's new. I might be missing it. Or it might be feeble.

?!

We are aware of the following issues in the Google Maps return and are investigating fixes:

• Search field not functional
  • Zoom controls not repositioning when left-side panel is expanded
  • Missing scale bar
  • Broken logic in the My Finds/My Hides filters
  • Map location defaulting to Seattle rather than user's home coordinates

Perhaps a function of whatever maintenance was done this morning, but ...

When viewing the map, attempts to toggle "My Hides" works fine (they disappear from the map), but attempts to toggle "My Finds" does nothing - just grays out the selection, but all smileys continue to appear on the map.

It's kinda nice to see Google Maps back on the website (although the workarounds we all found worked better...!)

However, search seems to be broken. I've tried it on Chrome and Internet Explorer. Also, although I'm logged in and have my location set as Exeter, UK, my map starts at Seattle, USA! Although there are preferences that mirror some of the Chrome Geocaching Map Enhancements extension, there does not seem to be a preference for setting the start location.

It's new. I might be missing it. Or it might be feeble.

?!

Thanks for posting. Thought it was my browsers. Thanks GC for working on the problem.

Personally I like having the Google maps back, for one main reason. There was no alternative in the UK for an aerial view. The only ones that we did have had issues, such as no decent level of zoom or caches did not show up when zoomed in.

I agree, the zoom level indicator was good, and we need that back. Gives you an idea if the caches are 5 minutes or 5 hours apart ;)

You can get around the the zoom issue when using the expanded left hand side panel by scrolling the zoom with the mouse.

Thank you for bringing the Google maps back.

Aargh. As I had the Google maps back again I decided to clean up my browser (Firefox) by removing Greasemonkey, as I no longer needed it. Now it's gone I can't get Google maps back, defaulting to Mapquest. Probably something I broke. Ah well, have to have a read to make sure I've removed all the scripts.

OK, couldn't get them working again in Firefox, so tried IE8. Logged in and got the same - Mapquest, no Google maps option. Is it forgetting I'm a premium member?

Edited by 5Taylors

Aargh. As I had the Google maps back again I decided to clean up my browser (Firefox) by removing Greasemonkey, as I no longer needed it. Now it's gone I can't get Google maps back, defaulting to Mapquest. Probably something I broke. Ah well, have to have a read to make sure I've removed all the scripts.

OK, couldn't get them working again in Firefox, so tried IE8. Logged in and got the same - Mapquest, no Google maps option. Is it forgetting I'm a premium member?

It isn't anything you did. Due to the many problems, they've rolled it back to how it was yesterday. You can follow the updates in the release notes.

We are aware of the following issues in the Google Maps return and are investigating fixes:

• Search field not functional
  • Zoom controls not repositioning when left-side panel is expanded
  • Missing scale bar
  • Broken logic in the My Finds/My Hides filters
  • Map location defaulting to Seattle rather than user's home coordinates

Not sure if what I'm describing is listed above but one then I noticed is that when in satellite view and drill in to max magnification - the cache indicator (treasure chest) disappears. Tested 2 different caches and the "chest" disappeared at different levels of magnification.

I just logged on and was happy to see Google Maps back. However there are no caches shown on the map??!! It looks like a vintage 2001 caching map (i.e. there are none). Is anyone else having this problem?

Me too. I thought it was just me!

Groundspeak, thanks for bringing back the Google maps!

Please, can you add the caches back to the maps ASAP? Thanks!

I just logged on and was happy to see Google Maps back. However there are no caches shown on the map??!! It looks like a vintage 2001 caching map (i.e. there are none). Is anyone else having this problem?

Me too. I thought it was just me!

Groundspeak, thanks for bringing back the Google maps!

Please, can you add the caches back to the maps ASAP? Thanks!

I'm having this problem too, but I know others who are not. Any suggestions?

Yup, same here. The problem started about 4 or 5 hours ago... all of a sudden POOF, all icons gone on my map. I was using the old maps at the time. In the meantime I have found out that if I zoom out enough and move the cursor over the map I do get the little ballons with the cache names in my screen and am able to click on it to get the listing on my screen. Decided to log out and log back in and yes, also got the Google maps back, but still no icons on my screen. The strange fact that I am able to move the mouse cursor over the screen and get the cache names on my screen remains, but still only when I zoom out enough. Naturally this is rather useless ;)

Tried different PC's, tried different browsers and am now also on a different internet connection (in another country than this afternoon), but the problems remains regardless. My girlfriend on the other end does not experience any of these problems on her system so it seems account related.

Edited by FirebladeNL

I posted this in the release notes topic, but I'll post it again here.

For all those not seeing the cache icons: Have you tried clearing the browser cache on your respective devices? When the new maps first came up for me, there were a few things that looked really weird. After clearing my cache, everything went back to normal.

Until this latest change, I could select the "topo" overlay in geocaching.com maps and see geocache icons on a real topo map. Now that's gone. The google.com terrain map doesn't show hiking trails. The Leaflet OpenCycleMap makes a half-hearted attempt but it's nowhere near as good.