Geocaching.com site update May 22nd 2012

...because you click the map icon to bring up details of the cache in question, including a link.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 newest versions of both firefox and safari.. all I get is a little hand to drag the map around.. nothing is clickable on the cache icon. But it is good to know you think it is working the way I want it to work.. so I guess it will eventually get there.

And now it all seems to be there. The data and link from the cache icon are now working at all zoom levels in Safari and the scale has appeared in the lower right corner.

How do you stop google being the default now? I want to use the OSM maps.

Me too, but google is fine. I wish we could have them both.... Does anyone have a script?

Open the pane on the left and near the bottom of the pane is a button "set map preferences". You can now select leaflet as the default. I have noted that with leaflet selected as the default the Google greasemonkey script still works.

Edited by jholly

A few comments

1) The cursor only sometimes (1 out of 50) turns into a click icon when over a cache- this is quite annoying.

2) I used to be able to "get away" from a cache info bubble thing by clicking away. Now I have to click the X

Thanks

This is very frustrating and is not the behavior of any Google Map I have ever used. Clicking anywhere other than the popup should close the popup, plain and simple.

https://google-developers.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/infowindow-simple

Even the google sample shows that clicking away from the info window will not close the window. It's the default behavior for InfoWindows.

-Raine

It may be the default on their sample but it's not the default at maps.google.com. Bring up an info window on their own site and click away and it closes. Honestly, until your update, I have never seen an info window that did not close when you clicked away from it.

If this is going to be the default behavior here, perhaps someone a lot smarter than me can Greasmonkey up a script to change it to the expected behavior?

Edit to add: I'm sorry if I sounded snarky there. I failed to read further where you said that it was on the list.

Edited by Don_J

Even the google sample shows that clicking away from the info window will not close the window. It's the default behavior for InfoWindows.

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do this on the Beta maps. Also, I have a personal website using the Google Maps API, and it allows you to click outside of a popup to close it. Try clicking on a ship to bring up its info window, then clicking outside it. It will close. Are the Geocaching.com maps using something different?

You're using the v2 Map API, we're using the v3

It's on my list of things to tackle.

-Raine

If it helps, the very popular GSAK macro, Google_Map_V3 uses just that, v3. The window closes when you click away. I have no idea if the author had to do anything special to accomplish that, but it can be done.

How do you stop google being the default now? I want to use the OSM maps.

Me too, but google is fine. I wish we could have them both.... Does anyone have a script?

Open the pane on the left and near the bottom of the pane is a button "set map preferences". You can now select leaflet as the default. I have noted that with leaflet selected as the default the Google greasemonkey script still works.

Works great, thank you!

Well, the maps were not a big deal to me as I had a workaround in both my chosen browsers, but the one thing that seems to have broken is that I have to log back in all the time, despite telling GC that I want to stay logged in. I'll blame Facebook. They seem a popular target these days...

Before you ask, I did clear my cookies and still have the problem.

Well, the maps were not a big deal to me as I had a workaround in both my chosen browsers, but the one thing that seems to have broken is that I have to log back in all the time, despite telling GC that I want to stay logged in. I'll blame Facebook. They seem a popular target these days...

I have the same problem here

If you manage to install a scale on Google maps then you are absolutely perfect!

There is a scale. Look down in the lower-right corner.

If you use IE8 there is no scale in the lower-right corner. (IE9 and Safari = OK)

I have the same problem here

Same here. FF & XP

We have released a new version of the Geocaching.com website. Some highlights of the work done for this release:

•  
  • Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches
  • Add Google Maps option for Premium Members
  • Improved Facebook sharing experience
  • Change default cache submission form from the old form to the new Cache Submission process

But where can I find now Open Street Maps and Open Cicle Maps. They are away now!?!?

Edited by wuliwup

Since the update, I've noticed two issues and have one request.

Issue 1. I (and apparently many others) cannot seem to stay logged in. I've cleared my cookies and browser history, no luck. This is a pain.

Issue 2. It seems like the "My Profile" page takes MUCH longer to load, most pages seem to have a bit of lag while loading. I've noticed this on computers on different ISP's.

Request. Can we have the option to permanently use the "old" version of the cache reporting form? I liked that one much better.

Not seeing Mytopo as an option with map preferences set to the "Leaflet" option.

If you use the Geocaching Map Enhancements userscript, you can get My Topo maps back by clicking the script's configuration (gear) icon, choosing "Add more maps", pasting the code below into the box, and hitting "Add mapsource".

{"alt":"My Topo", "tileUrl":"http://maps.mytopo.com/Groundspeak/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topoG/{z}/{x}/{y}", "attribution":"USGS map from <a href='http://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm'>MyTopo.com</a>", "minZoom":9, "maxZoom":16}

Hi! I can't seem to be able to hide a new cache using the new form: when I add the coordinates and confirm them, the form loses my location. And when I add my location from the drop-down list, the form forgets I have already confirmed the coordinates and when I confirm them again, the location gets lost again and so on and so on.

edit: and by location, I mean "country".

Edited by tpsaloha

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for the return to Google Maps. It's amazing how much better they are than that other stuff we had pushed on us. The maps zoom into much greater detail, with much better clarity. Also...they actually LOAD (without waiting for several minutes).

Thanx again!!!

Maps now work perfectly on an Motorola Xoom tablet. Had an issue where if you tap on the cache the pop up bubble chased around the screen every time you tried to tap on the cache link. This has been rectified :-)

Issue 1. I (and apparently many others) cannot seem to stay logged in. I've cleared my cookies and browser history, no luck.

Ha ha!

Clearing cookies forces you to login again. It's one of the basic rules of the web.

And worse, as someone pointed out elsewhere, simple advice to "clear your cookies" (without being specific about doing so just for a single website) forces you to re-login to ALL the sites you use. Doh!

I allso had trouble with making a new cache. The first step is easy, name and date and so on. Untill the second step.

The site is giving me the same error: "Please confirm coordinates on the map."

What's going on? Can somebody help me?

Thnx

I allso had trouble with making a new cache. The first step is easy, name and date and so on. Untill the second step.

Thnx

Have you clicked the big orange "Confirm coordinates on map" button right below the coordinate field?

Thnx

Have you clicked the big orange "Confirm coordinates on map" button right below the coordinate field?

hi

i've had that same problem, when making my two new mysteries and multis. I have figured out that it cant detect what's in that box so you can't confirm coordinates... until you want to go to the next stage and it annoyinging says "please confirm coordinates"

so what I did is just made my mystery and multi on the old version, as though it's worse at least you can do it.

I'd like to see if anyone else has this problem

Also eventually (somehow) I got my mystery to work on the new version, though after fighting over an hour couldn't get my multi

Issue 1. I (and apparently many others) cannot seem to stay logged in. I've cleared my cookies and browser history, no luck.

Ha ha!

Clearing cookies forces you to login again. It's one of the basic rules of the web.

And worse, as someone pointed out elsewhere, simple advice to "clear your cookies" (without being specific about doing so just for a single website) forces you to re-login to ALL the sites you use. Doh!

Funny, oddly enough, I do know that. It's a last ditch thing I try when have problems like this. Usually, if the problem is my computer, it solves the problem. Not this time.

Next time pal, more support, less sarcasm, unless you like starting flame wars...........

We have released a new version of the Geocaching.com website. Some highlights of the work done for this release:

•  
  • Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches
  • Change default cache submission form from the old form to the new Cache Submission process

Is there a way to get the open street maps back? They were very useful as they actually had the trails on them, and you could see where on the trails the caches were. This is especially useful when biking in a trail system that is fairly complicated. I loved that map feature!

Thnx

I also just tried to enter 3 different caches on the new form and got into this same endless loop.

Went back to the old form and had no trouble.

How do I add Google Maps to my geocaches?

They are already there. Every cache page has a link to a Google map for that individual cache. That hasn't changed for years.

The new change was restoring Google maps as an option, controlled by individual viewing the Geocaching.com cache maps (the ones that show all the caches in an area).

Pocket queries seem to be dead. I created a new one a few hours ago and it still hasn't run. The box is checked for today, but so far nothing.

I posted about this over on the Bug Report Page as well.

I submitted one at 8:56 PM PDT and, as of 10:10 PM PDT it still has not run.

This is not a good thing. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone who can fix this will need a pocket query and not be able to get it to run.

Me too. I have to log back in every time I close my browser. Using Firefox V12.0 with cookies enabled and not set to clear when the browser closes, Windows XP home SP3 and Windows Vista Home SP2 (same browser on both computers)

•  

No zoom control. Useless.

Disabled premium member cache is a grey blob.

Edit: No scale.

Premium caches look fine with me.

To show the Zoom & StreetView, you need to 'fold' the left hand "Search/PQ" area clicking the small arrow in the middle, and they should be on your far-left.

Where are you when you do this? If I am looking at a PQ map, I don't see any "Search/PQ" area. Is this in the pq creation page?

Oh, wonderful. Great useability design. not.

I'm happy that Google maps have returned. And excuse this question if it's been answered before - I've been searching and have not found it. Has the ability to create a table of cache ID's associated with the active map been reinstated? I found that very useful. I can emulate it with GSAK and the "new" maps, but am just curious. Thanks.

Not seeing Mytopo as an option with map preferences set to the "Leaflet" option.

If you use the Geocaching Map Enhancements userscript, you can get My Topo maps back by clicking the script's configuration (gear) icon, choosing "Add more maps", pasting the code below into the box, and hitting "Add mapsource".

{"alt":"My Topo", "tileUrl":"http://maps.mytopo.com/Groundspeak/tilecache.py/1.0.0/topoG/{z}/{x}/{y}", "attribution":"USGS map from <a href='http://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm'>MyTopo.com</a>", "minZoom":9, "maxZoom":16}

Any help for those of us who are not script savvy?

Any help for those of us who are not script savvy?

+1 I have that script installed FF, Mac Os X.6.8 but cannot figure out how to add that to the installed script. Clicking gear icon in Add-Ons manager with that script selected does not give me the options described.

Glad to have Google MAps back, but I miss Topo Maps most of all. Why is it that something else always gets degraded when something is finally fixed? Maddening.

Hi!

We have been heads-down working on fixing some things we discovered with yesterday's site release and have just finished a re-release correcting those issues. The release notes posted in the OP still apply. Thank you for your patience and please let us know if you run into any problems.

I am using Firefox and the new maps since the update and I experienced some issues while using the PQs within the map!

After chosing one of the PQs the doesn't seem to be "deleted" after switching back to standard mode OR another PQ. So they simply add up to the new search which only works wrong with the new maps. The old maps still work fine.

Bye,

Christian

I find it funny that with this many people writing on here about the login problem, " I have the same issue, why would it be any different on the west coast.lol. " it is a bit disappointing that there hasn't been any response as to they are aware of the problem and are working on it or something along those lines , Sure , a lot of us like the fact that google maps are back, but personally, i'd rather not have to log in every time, just my opinion .

I find it funny that with this many people writing on here about the login problem, " I have the same issue, why would it be any different on the west coast.lol. " it is a bit disappointing that there hasn't been any response as to they are aware of the problem and are working on it or something along those lines , Sure , a lot of us like the fact that google maps are back, but personally, i'd rather not have to log in every time, just my opinion .

See this post: Login Problem

I am really glad that Google maps are back -- much better aerial views than MapQuest. I have found it useful to switch back and forth between Goolgle and Leaflet for different views, though.

What I miss most is the old USGS topographical maps. I know I can select the shaded topo features on the Google regular map view, which is helpful for checking the terrain. I liked the USGS topos for seeing town boundaries -- useful for finding caches in a certain town. Sure, I can work with GSAK or DeLorme Topo, but it was handy to have it as part of the map selection.

•