Geocaching.com site update May 22nd 2012

Click the "Set Map Preferences" button on the collapsible left-hand pane.

Cheers, thought I was going crazy.

For anyone not seeing the button, check your adblock filters if you have them. "geocaching.com#footer" was hiding it for me.

I didn't realize that I had to choose. I thought it would just be a radio button along with all the other choices...

As has been explained before, this is a constraint imposed by Google. I don't think you'll find anyone in favor of the either/or default map design... except Google.

We have been heads-down working on fixing some things we discovered with yesterday's site release and have just finished a re-release correcting those issues. The release notes posted in the OP still apply. Thank you for your patience and please let us know if you run into any problems.

Well-done, guys!

Wow, 55 posts, all about the maps.

Meanwhile, can someone at Groundspeak explain why we can't choose which cache creation form to use? I am appalled that I am now forced to use the dumbed down multi page "Wizard". IMO, this is a giant step backwards. If you must, make it the default, but please give us a choice to use the streamlined form.

Meanwhile, can someone at Groundspeak explain why we can't choose which cache creation form to use? I am appalled that I am now forced to use the dumbed down multi page "Wizard". IMO, this is a giant step backwards. If you must, make it the default, but please give us a choice to use the streamlined form.

You mean something like the link at the top of the new form?

Not ready to try the new cache submission process? Go back to the old page.

You mean something like the link at the top of the new form?

Not ready to try the new cache submission process? Go back to the old page.

Boy do I feel silly. Please excuse my outrage. I swear, I looked, I really did.

Actually, I like this better because it forces you to see the page that reminds you of issues with your current caches.

Thanks...

Help! My maps(google and the other one) do not show any caches!

I am logged in under my name.

Update:

I clicked through the same screens multiple times. After about the tenth time the caches showed up. So i no longer need to panic.

Edited by ncfinn

When my cursor is above a cache in MapQuest, the name shows up. Clicking on the name gives me more info. This is good.

When i click on a cache in CloudMade or MapQuest Aerial or OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap, nothing happens. This is bad.

Am i doing something wrong? Is this a bug that will be fixed? Is this how it will stay?

Thanks.

I go to a cache (the cache shows on the maps on that page), I click on "View Larger Maps," the larger map comes up. There are no caches showing on that page, I switch preferences, there are no maps showing on that preference either.

i.e. nice albeit useless maps

I tried logging out and logging back in ... no change

I tried refreshing the map page two or three times ... no change

Help!

edit: additional action

I tried clicking on "Save as Pocket Query" to see if there was anything hidden there on the page. The query came up and I clicked Submit and got

I forgot to mention I'm using Google Chrome.

500 - Server Error

We're sorry, your request has resulted in an error.

If you feel that the page you are looking for should be available, please let us know. Otherwise, you may continue to use the site through its navigation, or browse the links below:

Edited by two bison

I go to a cache (the cache shows on the maps on that page), I click on "View Larger Maps," the larger map comes up. There are no caches showing on that page, I switch preferences, there are no maps showing on that preference either.

Help!

I think you just need to wait -- sometimes the cache icons take a while to show up.

Help!

I think you just need to wait -- sometimes the cache icons take a while to show up.

I didn't have to wait when I was using them last night.

How do you stop google being the default now? I want to use the OSM maps.

I found it by selecting "Map Preferences". There's a slide out menu (grey arrow on side of map) that gives you choices for selection for cache types. Down towards bottom of that gave Map preference button, there you could choice Google Maps or Leaflet - that has the other maps.

I am also having the No caches error. I had them at first but then looked in a different search area and gone, even after letting it sit for awhile. I think we might have just overwhelmed their server with all the update and everyone checking it out, hehe.

No caches vissible after last update on ipad!

Nice to have google maps back but is useless on ipad when i cannot see any caches.

Please fix this soon!

Edit...

SORRY, its working again. Don't now how i did it.

Edited by De Hammies

For all those not seeing the cache icons: Have you tried clearing the browser cache on your respective devices? When the new maps first came up for me, there were a few things that looked really weird. After clearing my cache, everything went back to normal.

Not seeing Mytopo as an option with map preferences set to the "Leaflet" option.

Is "MyTopo" as a geocaching map supposed to be a Premium Member only feature, or is everyone supposed to have it, or no one has it anymore?

The reason I ask: One method to find new hiking trails is I'll often look at the geocaching.com/map for bunches of geocaches in the mountains, then look at MyTopo to see if there are any trails at the spot (so I can try them out). I'll also switch between Map view and MyTopo, to see if any routes appear on MyTopo which aren't on the regular map, which often can point me to either dirt roads or hiking trails in my area I was completely unaware of. I'll also switch between those two views and the Aerial/Satellite to see if visually there is a trail somewhere.

A few comments

1) The cursor only sometimes (1 out of 50) turns into a click icon when over a cache- this is quite annoying.

2) I used to be able to "get away" from a cache info bubble thing by clicking away. Now I have to click the X

Thanks

This is very frustrating and is not the behavior of any Google Map I have ever used. Clicking anywhere other than the popup should close the popup, plain and simple.

Not seeing Mytopo as an option with map preferences set to the "Leaflet" option.

Is "MyTopo" as a geocaching map supposed to be a Premium Member only feature, or is everyone supposed to have it, or no one has it anymore?

The reason I ask: One method to find new hiking trails is I'll often look at the geocaching.com/map for bunches of geocaches in the mountains, then look at MyTopo to see if there are any trails at the spot (so I can try them out). I'll also switch between Map view and MyTopo, to see if any routes appear on MyTopo which aren't on the regular map, which often can point me to either dirt roads or hiking trails in my area I was completely unaware of. I'll also switch between those two views and the Aerial/Satellite to see if visually there is a trail somewhere.

I love MyTopo maps. I noticed yesterday that they're missing. I see that MyTopo is named on the Leaflet side under the "set map preferences" screen, so I'm guessing (hoping) that eventually MyTopo will be restored as an option under Leaflet. But in the meantime I'll just look it up on www.mytopo.com/maps - not quite as handy, but it works.

...because you click the map icon to bring up details of the cache in question, including a link.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 newest versions of both firefox and safari.. all I get is a little hand to drag the map around.. nothing is clickable on the cache icon. But it is good to know you think it is working the way I want it to work.. so I guess it will eventually get there.

Edited by edscott

We are aware of an issue where the hand does not change to a pointer when hovering over a cache icon on the Google maps, but the functionality is still there (i.e. you can still click and get the pop-up). Is that what you are seeing?

No all I get when I click is the name of the cache in a small white rectangle which will not take me to the cache page or give any more details, but I just found it does work at the closest zoom level. Not very handy when I want to look over a days worth of hiking.

And 2 minutes later,,,Oops spoke too soon.. not working at all now. Maybe it will get fixed overnight... Also I don't remember a scale. Maps without a scale are not so useful.

Edited by edscott

A few comments

1) The cursor only sometimes (1 out of 50) turns into a click icon when over a cache- this is quite annoying.

2) I used to be able to "get away" from a cache info bubble thing by clicking away. Now I have to click the X

Thanks

This is very frustrating and is not the behavior of any Google Map I have ever used. Clicking anywhere other than the popup should close the popup, plain and simple.

https://google-developers.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/infowindow-simple

Even the google sample shows that clicking away from the info window will not close the window. It's the default behavior for InfoWindows.

-Raine

...because you click the map icon to bring up details of the cache in question, including a link.

But it is good to know you think it is working the way I want it to work..

Please don't be snarky, really no need for it.

-Raine

Google maps are back. Thank you. Well done.

The option to switch between the different map types (Google maps <-> Leaflet, OSM) is useful.

Now Groundspeak maps are a great tool.

If you manage to install a scale on Google maps then you are absolutely perfect!

(A map without a scale is useless.)

Google maps are back. Thank you. Well done.

The option to switch between the different map types (Google maps <-> Leaflet, OSM) is useful.

Now Groundspeak maps are a great tool.

If you manage to install a scale on Google maps then you are absolutely perfect!

(A map without a scale is useless.)

Now I found the scale! Perfect.

Even the google sample shows that clicking away from the info window will not close the window. It's the default behavior for InfoWindows.

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do this on the Beta maps. Also, I have a personal website using the Google Maps API, and it allows you to click outside of a popup to close it. Try clicking on a ship to bring up its info window, then clicking outside it. It will close. Are the Geocaching.com maps using something different?

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do this on the Beta maps. Also, I have a personal website using the Google Maps API, and it allows you to click outside of a popup to close it. Try clicking on a ship to bring up its info window, then clicking outside it. It will close. Are the Geocaching.com maps using something different?

You're using the v2 Map API, we're using the v3

It's on my list of things to tackle.

-Raine

Another thing I've noticed. I'll be wanting to use a combination of both the Google Maps satellite imagery and the OSM maps, which will mean flipping between the 2 map types. When I switch between the map types, it doesn't remember where you're currently looking and goes back to where you started when you first brought up the map (ie. centered on a cache, your home coordinates, etc.). It appears the "switcher" is just reloading the current URL, but I think it would be better to use the permalink URL. I can foresee wanting to flip between the map types while looking at an area, but that isn't very feasible if the map keeps moving away from that area.

Just thought I'd mention it.