Geocaching.com site update May 22nd 2012

We have released a new version of the Geocaching.com website. Some highlights of the work done for this release:

•  
  • Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches
  • Add Google Maps option for Premium Members
  • Improved Facebook sharing experience
  • Change default cache submission form from the old form to the new Cache Submission process

We have released a new version of the Geocaching.com website. Some highlights of the work done for this release:

•  
  • Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches
  • Improved Facebook sharing experience
  • Change default cache submission form from the old form to the new Cache Submission process

What exactly is this

Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches

[*]Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches

I'm not sure what this is. Can you explain or post a screen shot?

[*]Add Google Maps option for Premium Members

You just made a lot of non-Firefox users happy.

[*]Improved Facebook sharing experience

Too bad I don't and don't plan on ever using facebook.

[*]Change default cache submission form from the old form to the new Cache Submission process

Can we still use the old form? I'm still not sold on the new one quite yet.

Quick update however. nicely done.

•  

No zoom control. Useless.

Disabled premium member cache is a grey blob.

Edit: No scale.

Edited by jholly

Nice, except now I do not see how to access the Open Cycle maps. They were great to show hiking trails but that is all gone.

*edit* Nevermind. I found how to switch between the two maps. Now it is sweet!

Edited by jndchance

•  

Premium caches look fine with me.

To show the Zoom & StreetView, you need to 'fold' the left hand "Search/PQ" area clicking the small arrow in the middle, and they should be on your far-left.

I'm glad to have google maps back! As previously mentioned, though, a distance tool is pretty important.

Google Maps' Terrain View is still missing, which is very useful when you're in mountainous areas. It'd also be nice to have a selection of multiple map types including Google and the OSM-based maps.

I'm glad Groundspeak took user comments into account finally, but some more openness and transparency about the whole process would have been appreciated.

•  

Premium caches look fine with me.

To show the Zoom & StreetView, you need to 'fold' the left hand "Search/PQ" area clicking the small arrow in the middle, and they should be on your far-left.

Oh, wonderful. Great useability design. not.

I'm glad to have google maps back! As previously mentioned, though, a distance tool is pretty important.

It'd also be nice to have a selection of multiple map types including Google and the OSM-based maps.

Read this reply from Moun10Bike:

"Google requires us to make them the only option when the user selects Google to be his default map."

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=296068&view=findpost&p=5044300

A 'compromise' to bring back Google Maps...

Google maps -

Toggling off my finds - no change.

Toggling off my finds and then my hides - my finds and hides disappear.

With both my finds and my hides off I can toggle on my hides but with both off I can not toggle on my finds until I toggle on my hides.

There are other variations but it seems I can not toggle off my finds unless I also toggle off my hides.

Something is screwy in the logic.

Yeah, for now I'm sticking with the leaflet default in order to keep the GME plugin active, with all the features we still want to use (including the wide selection of mapsets) :)

So just a note recapping what was said above and how it seems to affect GME: If Google Maps are your default maps, then the plugin won't be working, and Google Maps will be your only map option. You need to switch your map set to Leaflet, then GME will be active and you can set the default through its settings back to Google maps.

It sucks that Google is requiring Google maps to be the only available map set if theirs is set to the default. But it is a price you pay I suppose (literally, as it's only an issue for Premium Members anyway). Doesn't make me want to use Google maps as the gc.com default at all as it takes away other useful options, whether I had GME setup or not. blah.

Glad to see the Maps including the terrain ones but as others mentioned we are still missing things. I see the Zoom but as you zoom in you lose things.

No distance tool.

And the grids with these boxes? Map.jpg

But then they now are disappearing

Edited by jellis

The box of info when you click on an cache icon on the google maps seems to be graphically broken.

Also, can someone tell me where the choice of default maps can be made? I'm looking in my settings and not finding it.

Never mind. Found it. I have my tab on the left closed by default.

Edited by Ashallond

Since the site update, whenever I open the map via the "Hide and Seek a cache" menu option, it defaults to Seattle (I assume Groundspeak HQ), instead of my home location.

Logging out and in again didn't fix anything, and I verified that my home coordinates are still set correctly.

Clicking the link to my home location from my profile page opens the map in the correct place, but the default "Hide and Seek" map opens in Seattle.

since update , when i unse the adress geocaching.com/map to go directly to the map, even when i am already logged in, the maps loads at the Seatle at the center. and not my home location... unlike was before...

dunno if a missing setting on my part of something wrong withe the map..

thanks for lettig us choose the map we prefer!

Lackeys: Tnx for listening. For working with G to achieve a 'compromise solution'.

Everyone else: Chill. Getting the OpenStreet/MapQuest/Leaflet/whatever stuff to a useable level didn't happen overnight. I'm sure the same will be true in regards to getting the new G up and running again to the level we'd been accustomed to.

Post by Moun10Bike from the 'Geocaching.com Website' forum --

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

We are aware of the following issues in the Google Maps return and are investigating fixes:

* Search field not functional

* Zoom controls not repositioning when left-side panel is expanded

* Missing scale bar

* Broken logic in the My Finds/My Hides filters

I don't see how to change the default to Google Maps... tried logging out, even cleared cookies/cache.. Any suggestions on how to set google maps as the default?

There was a button at the bottom of the "pop-out" on the left of the map screen, but it seems to have disappeared now while Groundspeak works out the kinks, so you might have to wait to try it out.

I don't see how to change the default to Google Maps... tried logging out, even cleared cookies/cache.. Any suggestions on how to set google maps as the default?

There was a button at the bottom of the "pop-out" on the left of the map screen, but it seems to have disappeared now while Groundspeak works out the kinks, so you might have to wait to try it out.

Ahh ok thanks.

After today’s release we experienced some unexpected issues and as a result, we have rolled back this release. We are working to correct these issues to ensure the quality of your experience. We will provide more information as it becomes available.

Although I was initially irritated by the loss of Google Maps and expressed a willingness to pay extra for them. After the glitches and speed issues were dealt with, the Mapquest maps have worked just fine for us and I wouldn't pay extra for Google. In fact, when a map came up as Google Maps right after the change, I didn't even notice. I only knew they'd been changed when I came here to this forum to see what the new changes were.

I appreciate the efforts you admin folks are making in both directions and the ability to toggle back and forth will be a nice option.

Although I was initially irritated by the loss of Google Maps and expressed a willingness to pay extra for them. After the glitches and speed issues were dealt with, the Mapquest maps have worked just fine for us and I wouldn't pay extra for Google.

There is no extra charge for Google Maps. They're provided at no additional charge to premium members.

Hello,

Google maps, thanks. Very nice. But Openstreet map showed me county borders (or whatever they are in the States). Valuable when caching all counties in a State. Google Maps does not show it.

Too bad.

Do I have to get a Non Premium account as well to see OpenStreet Maps?

Edited by yxza

Although I was initially irritated by the loss of Google Maps and expressed a willingness to pay extra for them. After the glitches and speed issues were dealt with, the Mapquest maps have worked just fine for us and I wouldn't pay extra for Google.

There is no extra charge for Google Maps. They're provided at no additional charge to premium members.

Yes, I know that. I was referring to back when Google Maps were first dropped and everyone had their panties in a bunch.

Now, I'm saying I wouldn't be willing to pay extra for Google Maps as the MapQuest maps have been just fine for my purposes.

Hello,

Google maps, thanks. Very nice. But Openstreet map showed me county borders (or whatever they are in the States). Valuable when caching all counties in a State. Google Maps does not show it.

Too bad.

Do I have to get a Non Premium account as well to see OpenStreet Maps?

It's my understanding that G maps will be an OPTION for PMs. You'll not be forced to use them. You'll be able to choose the other maps if you wish.

I was disappointed to see this update rolled-back. Can somebody tell us if the Google Maps will be coming back for good for Premium Members? I was super excited to see the new maps on my lunch hour, then sad to see them gone when I got home from work.

I was disappointed to see this update rolled-back. Can somebody tell us if the Google Maps will be coming back for good for Premium Members? I was super excited to see the new maps on my lunch hour, then sad to see them gone when I got home from work.

Yes, they'll come back, they're just working out some bugs.

Yes, I know that. I was referring to back when Google Maps were first dropped and everyone had their panties in a bunch.

Now, I'm saying I wouldn't be willing to pay extra for Google Maps as the MapQuest maps have been just fine for my purposes.

Unfortunately, the MapQuest maps are still slow and not nearly as clear for me. I, for one, am looking forward to the return of Google Maps.

What exactly is this

Creation of a Logged Out Cache Details banner for published, archived and unpublished caches

Sounds to me like it is what will be displayed on a cache page when you aren't signed in.

I thought that too so I logged out and pulled open a cache but nothing new

We have been heads-down working on fixing some things we discovered with yesterday's site release and have just finished a re-release correcting those issues. The release notes posted in the OP still apply. Thank you for your patience and please let us know if you run into any problems.

What exactly is this

Sounds to me like it is what will be displayed on a cache page when you aren't signed in.

Yup. There's a big ol banner on cache pages when I'm not logged in...

We have been heads-down working on fixing some things we discovered with yesterday's site release and have just finished a re-release correcting those issues. The release notes posted in the OP still apply. Thank you for your patience and please let us know if you run into any problems.

I just played around with it, and the earlier problems all seem to have been resolved. A couple of things I noticed:

-I'm not sure if it did this before or not: When a popup is displayed, the tooltips for caches underneath the popup "bleed" through. Try bringing up a popup that will cover a bunch of caches, move your mouse around within the popup, and you'll activate the tooltips underneath.

-On the Leaflet maps, when a popup is displayed, you can click in an empty part of the map to close the popup. In the Google Maps, this doesn't work, and the only options are to click on another cache or click the "X".

These are very minor, and I can certainly live with them. Other than the cache icon overlay being somewhat sluggish, everything seems to be working well. Good job!