Web site down without an announcement?

Dr.MORO

I saw a banner at the top all last night and this morning. Don't know why you didn't see it.

I did not see any banners whatsoever late last night nor early this morning. I did not tough the "X" either. Weird.

There was no banner at 0400 PDT but it was there at 0900.

-- Also came across this a couple of days ago ------

Some months ago Google changed its charging structure for third-party use of Google Maps, which meant heavy users, such as Geocaching.com, had to ditch the service or face significant costs.

But now Google Maps are coming back …

After Geocaching.com’s planned site update of Tuesday, May 22nd, premium members will once again have access to Google Maps through the Beta Maps page. Best of all, there will be no extra charge to players and all of the current maps (MapQuest etc) will still be available.

More details will be released with the Geocaching.com site update notes next Tuesday.

Personally, this is welcome news. I completely understood the company’s need to move away from Google Maps – the cost of keeping this option was going to be millions. Yes, we did have a number of different workarounds, however being a user of many different computers I found it a little frustrating to keep installing the scripts or, occasionally, find myself in a browser that didn’t have them.

I saw a banner at the top all last night and this morning. Don't know why you didn't see it.

I did not see any banners whatsoever late last night nor early this morning. I did not tough the "X" either. Weird.

There was no banner at 0400 PDT but it was there at 0900.

-- Also came across this a couple of days ago ------

Some months ago Google changed its charging structure for third-party use of Google Maps, which meant heavy users, such as Geocaching.com, had to ditch the service or face significant costs.

But now Google Maps are coming back …

After Geocaching.com’s planned site update of Tuesday, May 22nd, premium members will once again have access to Google Maps through the Beta Maps page. Best of all, there will be no extra charge to players and all of the current maps (MapQuest etc) will still be available.

More details will be released with the Geocaching.com site update notes next Tuesday.

Personally, this is welcome news. I completely understood the company’s need to move away from Google Maps – the cost of keeping this option was going to be millions. Yes, we did have a number of different workarounds, however being a user of many different computers I found it a little frustrating to keep installing the scripts or, occasionally, find myself in a browser that didn’t have them.

Hey!

IF this is true, that would be AWESOME!

Yes, only if it's true...

Thanks Olddffart!

Domo again!!!

Geocaching.com site update May 22nd 2012

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=296071&view=findpost&p=5044290

Add Google Maps option for Premium Members

MAN! It's TRUE!

Can't wait to test it out!

Just tested it.

Google Map IS back.

Weird that they have separated them from the previous OSM etc. maps.

I wish they will change it so you can select them from the upper-right button in the map.

I guess it's still a BETA map.

Thanks GS!

Weird that they have separated them from the previous OSM etc. maps.

I wish they will change it so you can select them from the upper-right button in the map.

I guess it's still a BETA map.

Google requires us to make them the only option when the user selects Google to be his default map.

All good that the old maps are back but we have lost the distance scale marker again.

And the zoom controls.

Zoom is somewhat hidden underneath the Left-hand panel.

Just click on the small arrow to 'fold' it.

YES, the scale bar is missing.

Domo!!!

Sooooo, what's the deal?

For how long???

Love to know the details.

I was on the site on and off from 3PM to 1AM PDT. I never saw a banner. I clicked the X on the banner for the update earlier this month. I hope it's not sticky.